Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

5 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I think this was part of my problem, I'm running some of my effects on parallel lines to retain a nice clean bass tone, I think I probably need to boost the FX line and add an EQ to it to bring it out in the mix.

All mine are run serial, and only one at a time (plus BDDI on with a low blend). Sounds ok until the band start playing. Will be experiment more next rehearsal.

4 minutes ago, 28mistertee said:

My Helix has arrived from the shop as version 2.30 and won’t update. It won’t even connect to HX edit. Any ideas?

Have you tried rebooting the unit while it’s plugged into pc and vice versa?

Edited by bassfan

6 minutes ago, 28mistertee said:

My Helix has arrived from the shop as version 2.30 and won’t update. It won’t even connect to HX edit. Any ideas?

What version are you trying to update too?

I read in the read me's that you have to go 2.80 before upgrading to 2.82.  My HX FX came pre-loaded as 2.52 I think, I followed that path and it worked fine.  If you are down at 2.3 I would try and get to 2.5 first, then 2.8 then 2.82.

Does the PC/Mac recognise the unit as being attached - I.e. its not a simple USB cable issues?

Edited by PJ-Bassist

10 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

What version are you trying to update too?

I read in the read me's that you have to go 2.80 before upgrading to 2.82.  My HX FX came pre-loaded as 2.52 I think, I followed that path and it worked fine.  If you are down at 2.3 I would try and get to 2.5 first, then 2.8 then 2.82.

Does the PC/Mac recognise the unit as being attached - I.e. its not a simple USB cable issues?

Currently on 2.3 but I need to get it to connect to hxedit and get it up to 2.82. My pc recognises it and I’ve also tried 2.3 hxedit to no avail. Have just uninstalled that now and also done the global reset on the helix. Not sure which direction to go in next.

13 minutes ago, 28mistertee said:

Currently on 2.3 but I need to get it to connect to hxedit and get it up to 2.82. My pc recognises it and I’ve also tried 2.3 hxedit to no avail. Have just uninstalled that now and also done the global reset on the helix. Not sure which direction to go in next.

From the Line6 documentation you can't go straight to 2.82, you at least need to do 2.80 first. 

Personally I'd upgrade to 2.52 first.

Then 2.80 and finally 2.82.

https://uk.line6.com/software/index.html

• Like 1

Just now, PJ-Bassist said:

From the Line6 documentation you can't go straight to 2.82, you at least need to do 2.80 first. 

Personally I'd upgrade to 2.52 first.

Then 2.80 and finally 2.82.

https://uk.line6.com/software/index.html

But i think the issue is the software cant see the box, so no way to update it. 

Very frustrating. 

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

But i think the issue is the software cant see the box, so no way to update it. 

Very frustrating. 

Indeed, but I'd try installing the 2.52 software to see if it is the same result.  If 2.82 is not compatible it might not see the device.  If he gets the same result with 2.52 then I'd suggest it needs to go back :).

8 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

Mine came with 2.3 And I went straight to 2.82 in one go.

i couldn’t get Hx edit to connect on my work laptop, but I think it is all the security settings, so had to use another computer in the end.

Mine arrived with 2.5 and i went straight to 2.82 in one go. Normally its the PC drivers etc that are the issue., this stuff can be very flakey. I have loads of hassle with Zoom stuff, but never had any with Line6....yet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Hx Stomp arrived yesterday. Only had 20 minutes with it so far... I don't remember the last time I was so impressed with something straight out of the box! 

I had a similar experience. I've used loads of multi-effects, including Bass Pods (or xt?) and Zoom B3 and B3n - I went into a guitar shop to try the helix and within a minute I was sold!

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I had a similar experience. I've used loads of multi-effects, including Bass Pods (or xt?) and Zoom B3 and B3n - I went into a guitar shop to try the helix and within a minute I was sold!

Same for me. Ive hardly done any programming with my Zoom's, just basic patches that I've not really used. The Helix stuff is just well thought out.

With the Zooms its 'I wish i could......'  with the Helix is 'wow, i can......"

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Same for me. Ive hardly done any programming with my Zoom's, just basic patches that I've not really used. The Helix stuff is just well thought out.

With the Zooms its 'I wish i could......'  with the Helix is 'wow, i can......"

...and then some!

9 minutes ago, Adee said:

Has anyone managed to get a reasonable fretless 'sound' using a fretted bass and HX Stomp, I know Jon Willis came up with one on the Dr Tone's page but not shared anything as yet

No, and im still waiting for Jon to share his. I did ask him a while ago and he said he was still refining it. His video demo sounds good to me, at least to give the effect of a fretless.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a good few hours to sit and play with the HX FX.   I'd definately gone too subtle on the usage of effects in my last attempt and it was all lost in the mix so I wanted to redo a lot of what I had done to get it sounding better.

I've been playing along to a lot of Jamiriquai of late and so I set to work on a patch bank that covers the sounds I'm looking for, mainly Synths and Filters

Again I was impressed with the quality of the effects this thing includes, and I love how flexible the whole damn unit is - some of the things that I thought were awesome:

- Being able to create a parallel line, so I could have two independent lines of effects.
- Being able to assign multi effects to the same pedal
- Being able to reassign which effect is associated with which foot switch, without changing the signal path
- Being able to rename FX banks, and change the associated LED colours

I feel Line6 have really nailed it with what was ultimately a fairly affordable piece of kit.

The only issue I had was hitting the limit of 9 FX's to one bank, I would have liked a few more (I.e. some reverb on one of the synth sounds).

image.thumb.png.a0df5f20d65a91eaeae542bdc62bdebb.png

Expression pedal should arrive tomorrow, more fun to be had I feel.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

Ive upped the mix of my Chorus, Filter and Phaser for tonight's rehearsal. ill see how it goes (also with new Fender amp).

Im contemplating getting an Expression pedal, but in all honesty i dont know what ill use it for. No need for volume, Filter is hardly used and i prefer the auto type anyway. No other effects need manual control, so im at a loss as to why i want one.....but i want one 🙂

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive upped the mix of my Chorus, Filter and Phaser for tonight's rehearsal. ill see how it goes (also with new Fender amp).

Im contemplating getting an Expression pedal, but in all honesty i dont know what ill use it for. No need for volume, Filter is hardly used and i prefer the auto type anyway. No other effects need manual control, so im at a loss as to why i want one.....but i want one 🙂

I went for the Moog expression pedal, reviews were solid and it's pretty reasonable at 45£ delivered.

I don't have a lot of use cases but I wanted to emulate the use of a pitch wheel on a synth with it for a few tunes.  Will see how well it works, if not then there might be one in the for sale section in a week or two.

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches