Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Apologies if this has already been posted but I was looking for ideas around the synth and filter effects.  This guy has done some demos that sound pretty good and has shared some ideas around settings (all be it on some of the legacy models)

https://idogomusic.com/bass-synth-pedal-line-6/

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 3

I'm sure this is not news to some, but ive just found out i can switch channels on my GK MB800 using a normal jack to jack, between my Helix and my amp.

The Helix lets you assign one of its foot switches to control the amp. You can even give the footswitch a name, and in my case also match the colour LED to the amp. How cool is that!!!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers Dave, not something I've personally heard mentioned before so a very useful tip! 

It was Paul's question about his switch that made me think this one through. Although it's a basic feature without Midi, it's certainly a very welcome feature. Cant wait to try it with the Genzler (when i get it) 

0BB1CE54-7E00-45BF-B373-74D2FDD24F50.thumb.jpeg.5851c0cfba9a44c5828c3a24e1166a1f.jpeg

• Like 2

By the way, i have the EQ on a switch just so i can get easy access to it to tweak it. Anyone have a better solution to getting quick access to it? I dont need to turn it on and off, but going in to Signal Path is a bit longer winded than I'd like, at least while I'm still setting this up. 

On 03/12/2019 at 10:05, ratman said:

Has anybody managed to get a convincing OC-2 sound out of the Stomp? I've never owned one so I have no first hand experience of how they sound. I'd be grateful of some settings to get me in the ball park.

I came across a post suggesting you needed a decent square wave to get an OC-2 sound. But given that the Stomp is not an actual synth wave generator but a synth "sim", I think it's going to struggle. Happy to be proven wrong on this though.

45 minutes ago, 28mistertee said:

Cyber Monday and I buckled.... unpacked my LT tonight and have no idea where to start. Coming from an old school plug and play background so totally baffled by it all.

Impressed you decided to dive in at the deep end and not go with one of the more basic models! 

I had an interesting experience last night with my new HX FX.

I met up with a guitarist and drummer I know last night for a bit of a jam at the local studio.  I'm not a super big effects user so I've clearly not got something right  but I found my chorus and filter effects, and actually even my fuzz presets were just lost in the mix. 

Any tips on making them come to life more in a live band setting ??

Edited by PJ-Bassist

27 minutes ago, AlphaK said:

I came across a post suggesting you needed a decent square wave to get an OC-2 sound. But given that the Stomp is not an actual synth wave generator but a synth "sim", I think it's going to struggle. Happy to be proven wrong on this though.

Impressed you decided to dive in at the deep end and not go with one of the more basic models! 

27 minutes ago, AlphaK said:

You only live once, to be honest a couple of my friends have the LT and kind of pushed me in that direction.

53 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I had an interesting experience last night with my new HX FX.

I met up with a guitarist and drummer I know last night for a bit of a jam at the local studio.  I'm not a super big effects user so I've clearly not got something right  but I found my chorus and filter effects, and actually even my fuzz presets were just lost in the mix. 

Any tips on making them come to life more in a live band setting ??

Having the same issue. Can hardly hear the effects at rehearsals, cant hear them at all on the recordings from the rehearsals. Thought it was just me. 

Edited by dave_bass5

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Can hardly hear the effects at rehearsals, cant hear them at all on the recordings from the rehearsals.

Try different EQ settings to bring out a distinctive frequency or two. I setup patches in a rough way at home, but then always do the next round of tweaking at rehearsals at volume using a parametric EQ block, dialing in (quite often) a mid-frequency boost that brings out the tone of the bass or FX. Without an EQ it's easy for the guitarist to blot out any tonal nuances. That's another aspect of the Helix Stomp / LT etc, one can configure it so that the EQ changes only come on with the chorus or whatever, or you can leave the EQ on all the time. Way better than the old days of buying a new chorus pedal, having it sound great in isolation at home and then have it be completely lost in the mix live. Every one of my patches has at least one EQ block and most have two (the second one being for a kind of cap sim which IMO sound better and more consistent live than the cab models).

On 30/11/2019 at 17:40, dave_bass5 said:

I'm sure this is not news to some, but ive just found out i can switch channels on my GK MB800 using a normal jack to jack, between my Helix and my amp.

The Helix lets you assign one of its foot switches to control the amp. You can even give the footswitch a name, and in my case also match the colour LED to the amp. How cool is that!!!

If you use a TRS cable you can further refine the function to Tip, Ring or Sleeve  but I think that’s in amps with multiple channels. 

The stomp doesn’t have this feature just the bigger units with an exit/amp out. 

Edited by krispn

I'm with you there. I totally appreciate what i hear at home is not what i will hear at louder volumes, but ive also never had to change EQ when using effects. I could go with your idea but ive just realised i might have the mix too low on some of them, think ill up those at the next rehearsal first. I don’t like the effect to be over powering but maybe I'm diluting it a bit too much. 

Ive also been struggling with a Quilter head recently, and while I'm not knocking the head, I didn't have this issue with my GK head. Probably because it is brighter. 

I do love how versatile the Hleix is though, and i know my tone is in there. 

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

If you use a TRS cable you can further refine the function to Tip, Ring or Sleeve  but I think that’s in amps with multiple channels. 

The stomp doesn’t have this feature just the bigger units with an exit/amp out. 

Yeah, i was talking about my HX FX. None of my amps have anything more than two gain stage channels, so very basic, but i can see there is more to it than that for the more versatile heads. 

Yeah likely aimed at guitar amps but great to have more options. My amp has a footswitch for drive channel, para eq and and mute so in theory a Hx fx could be set up to engage these but a TRS would likely be needed. 
Don’t worry I’m not getting a hxfx. I already have a footswitch for the amp 😀

6 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah likely aimed at guitar amps but great to have more options. My amp has a footswitch for drive channel, para eq and and mute so in theory a Hx fx could be set up to engage these but a TRS would likely be needed. 
Don’t worry I’m not getting a hxfx. I already have a footswitch for the amp 😀

Haha, i too have footswitches,  but its nice to do it all with one box. 

32 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I could go with your idea but ive just realised i might have the mix too low on some of them, think ill up those at the next rehearsal first. I don’t like the effect to be over powering but maybe I'm diluting it a bit too much. 

I think this was part of my problem, I'm running some of my effects on parallel lines to retain a nice clean bass tone, I think I probably need to boost the FX line and add an EQ to it to bring it out in the mix.

3 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I think this was part of my problem, I'm running some of my effects on parallel lines to retain a nice clean bass tone, I think I probably need to boost the FX line and add an EQ to it to bring it out in the mix.

If you are doing this, the mix on the effect should be set to 100%. At least that’s what I do and have no problem hearing any effects!

• Like 1