Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Black Raven do one for the Full fat Helix. It’s a full ‘cover’ like a clear plastic/acrylic overlay  and for the LT too. Not sure about other sizes. Are you needing to just cover the screen/scribble strips or the whole unit and which unit are you covering. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just the screen/scribble strips on the HX FX.

The smartphone screen protector route & trim per Dave's suggestion is a very neat idea given you can buy a pack of those for not very much.

What are you protecting them from? They are very different screens from a smartphone (which is glass and carried around), these are bendy plastic and not touch sensitive and largely protected by the buttons in front of them.

• Like 2

Hey guys, i am considering getting a stomp to replace my pedalboard and part of my live setup and have a few questions if anyone can help.

I have basic understanding as to how to use it and create my patches and stuff, but i was just curious, before i go and shed the dough for it, how it handles live and practice situations, and by that i mean, i can take my full rig at a gig(pedalboard, amp and cab), but for practice i might just pick up the pedal and put it through either PA or a generic bass amp(let's call it a hartke :)) ).

So is it possible to create 3 patches, one for my amp with cab(basically just my pedalboard which contains compressor,DG B3k,Sansamp and noise gate), one for a generic amp(pedalboard + amp and cab sim), and one for PA(pedalboard+amp and cab sim)?

And if that's possible, in the first situation would i be able to just plug it into my normal(active) amp input and then take the DI out for the FOH from the amp as per usual?

In the 2nd situation(let's assume for argument's sake that i need DI from this too) will i use the Stomp in the effects loop and then DI out of the Stomp for FOH/PA?

And in the 3rd situation i assume i just DI out into the FOH/PA?

But after looking online a lot another question springs to mind, it doesn't have an XLR DI output, i can only see 2 balanced jack outputs, so will i need a separate DI box or can i just get a TRS to XLR small cable and it should work?

I know it's a big message. Hope it makes sense. Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers. 

Alin

3 hours ago, alinbassplayer said:

Hey guys, i am considering getting a stomp to replace my pedalboard and part of my live setup and have a few questions if anyone can help.

I have basic understanding as to how to use it and create my patches and stuff, but i was just curious, before i go and shed the dough for it, how it handles live and practice situations, and by that i mean, i can take my full rig at a gig(pedalboard, amp and cab), but for practice i might just pick up the pedal and put it through either PA or a generic bass amp(let's call it a hartke :)) ).

So is it possible to create 3 patches, one for my amp with cab(basically just my pedalboard which contains compressor,DG B3k,Sansamp and noise gate), one for a generic amp(pedalboard + amp and cab sim), and one for PA(pedalboard+amp and cab sim)?

And if that's possible, in the first situation would i be able to just plug it into my normal(active) amp input and then take the DI out for the FOH from the amp as per usual?

In the 2nd situation(let's assume for argument's sake that i need DI from this too) will i use the Stomp in the effects loop and then DI out of the Stomp for FOH/PA?

And in the 3rd situation i assume i just DI out into the FOH/PA?

But after looking online a lot another question springs to mind, it doesn't have an XLR DI output, i can only see 2 balanced jack outputs, so will i need a separate DI box or can i just get a TRS to XLR small cable and it should work?

I know it's a big message. Hope it makes sense. Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers. 

Alin

Yes.

You can send amp/cab sims to the pa while fx only to your amp etc Tbe I/O wtht eh Stomp is fab but you'll need to sit with the unit, the manual ir a tutorila video and work through it. You Tube is a the resource for this one.

My advice is go hire a few hours in a rehearsal space which has a bass amp and a pA and set it up to suit. You can A/B amp v PA etc and you'll do so much more in this way then trying to grab an  20 min here and there. It worked for me having all the options/possibilities for how i might use it to try in one place. Download the manual and if you can bring a laptop/tablet and work along with you tube setting up patches, I/O options etc. It'll be time well spend!

• Like 2

@alinbassplayer I think you were after a steer on whether what you're looking to do could be done on the Stomp before you get one. I think the posters above are already confirming  "absolutely yes!" to the queries you raised, which should hopefully give you the confidence to part with your hard-earned cash.

And you can then invest the time as krispn has helpfully suggested, knowing it's not going to be time wasted.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, as @Al Krow mentioned i was after more of a steer into that direction, the GAS is there already, i have done my research on the matter, but as most youtube videos only show the features or on how to create patches and mostly studio tutorials, from what i could find there were only 2 vids that actually showed live-ish situations, i just thought that someone who has been using it and played the UK pub/venue scene would be able to pitch in with a little more info, most people i've spoken with that have it do not rely on it live, or have moved to the full blown helix, which is not something i am keen on doing. Will most likely get it and spend some time with it to try all the scenarios. Anywho, thanks!

• Like 1

I use a Stomp now exclusively for all my gigs. My board is a Metro16, one of the smallest I've ever had, and it sounds great. I'm in London N4 if you want to come over to see how I use my set up & have a try out before you buy.

007 Pedal Board 211119.JPG

Edited by ratman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ratman said:

I use a Stomp now exclusively for all my gigs. My board is a Metro16, one of the smallest I've ever had, and it sounds great. I'm in London N4 if you want to come over to see how I use my set up & have a try out before you buy.

007 Pedal Board 211119.JPG

Great board there. Very neat!

• Thanks 1

@ratman definitely a cool board!

In terms of a quick comparison, cost of MC6 is around £245 + Stomp at £429 = £674. 

I'm guessing the HX Effects which probably takes up the same board space of the two units combined, but is almost exactly half the price at £389, is effectively a 'poor man's' version of the Stomp / MC6 combination? 

Other than amp and cab sims (which can be compensated in small part by being able to load IRs onto the HX) would folk say there were other significant benefits to going down the Stomp / MC6 route over the simpler all-in-one HX?

What about HX+ MC6 🙂

As ive said, my reasoning to get the HX was the way its laid out and easy to read. The scribble strips, the ability to change settings using just feet, the lack of any extra leads, the large tuner, the smallish footprint, the ease of programming (over the Stomp). 

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I'd love it if Line6 had included a wireless receiver in the Helix. That would be so cool IMO.

Especially considering the way that the Line 6 Spider and the Yamaha (who own Line 6) THR amps integrate with the wireless bugs so easily.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Other than amp and cab sims (which can be compensated in small part by being able to load IRs onto the HX) would folk say there were other significant benefits to going down the Stomp / MC6 route over the simpler all-in-one HX?

For me, once I had used the Stomp for a couple of months, I decided that it would be my main effects unit. (although I do have a breakout box on the board to connect my 2 Stomp FX loops to a second Nano board with a couple of choice pedals on, if i want to. That's the 3 unused jack sockets in the photo). No more wondering whether to take the big or small board to a gig as I now take the Stomp board to every gig.  My sound, at every gig, with no comprimises.

I sold off 90% of my pedals, boards etc this summer and I raised a lot of cash. So deciding what route to go with external switching wasn't detemined by budget, I had money to spend ;) I first tried a DMC Micro which was great but a bit limited with what it can do. Then I found out about the MC6. It's functionality is insane and it does exactly what I want. Cost wise, what I've spent may be close to the price of an LT but my whole board is still way smaller & lighter than an LT. 6 blocks is fine for me too.

And I can effortlessly carry my bass, board & a bag on the tube or bus to gigs in central London where backline or cab is supplied, and in some venues I just DI and use IEMs. This board makes my life a lot easier in so many ways.

• Like 2

Just spotted that if I rejig my little gigging board there's going to be space for an an expression pedal which my Boss SY-1 could certainly make use of, but just wondering if LT owners are making much use of the on board expression pedal and same question to HX Effects and Stomp owners if you've added an expression pedal to your set ups?

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches