Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

For example, I have a BDDI set to on, with little drive, and another block with the same BDDI but a much higher drive (and slightly lower level). I have both set to one foot switch. The patch is saved with the low drive on and the high drive off. Using just one foot switch alternates between the two. Pretty cool feature.

You can make it even simpler using snapshots Dave. You only need to use one block and you can use the snapshot function to toggle different parameters of that block, so in your example you'd have a snapshot of your block, just with different gain and level settings.  It saves DSP by not having to replicate a block. 

10 hours ago, 41Hz said:

Wondered if this is possible......

I would like to assign a single footswitch for pitch shift, I need to drop either a semi tone or a whole tone (Eb or D) for some songs. Ideally I’d like to cycle through 3 options on a single switch, ie OFF, -1, -2, OFF etc.

I can do it with two switches, either two separate pitch shift blocks on separate switches with the interval set to -1 and -2, or a single pitch shift on one then assign a different foot switch to toggle the interval with max/min values of -1,-2.

Is this possible using just one switch? Thought I’d read you can toggle multiple effects on a single switch, but so far I can’t see how.

I'm thinking you could assign the pitch interval parameter to the expression pedal? Switch on the pitch shift and then adjust to suit? 

4 hours ago, Muppet said:

You can make it even simpler using snapshots Dave. You only need to use one block and you can use the snapshot function to toggle different parameters of that block, so in your example you'd have a snapshot of your block, just with different gain and level settings.  It saves DSP by not having to replicate a block. 

I'm staying away from snapshots, as each patch has Drive/boost, Chorus (in case i want it) and a unique effect like Filter, or Phaser etc. So i need real-time control of those. I like to experiment with when I use the effects.

15 hours ago, Muppet said:

OR you could set 1 FS to toggle between a low drive and high drive setting. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DanEly said:

OR you could set 1 FS to toggle between a low drive and high drive setting. 

Yes, i tired that, but I also want to slightly adjust the EQ at the same time, just to give a bit more edge to the driven tone. 

I'm this close to getting the HX FX, so it's all laid out in front of me, but this evening ive just programmed in the other two 'unique' effects in to one patch. So now i have 5 footswitches controlling 4 unique effects, inc one going between the two BDDI's. This is 99% of what i need for a gig. 

EDIT: I know i can also set the Treble (for example)  to the same foot switch but my way seems easier to tweak. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

My M Audio EX-P expression pedal came in the post today. At £14 it’s an absolute bargain.

I just found something really cool on the helix with the expression pedal - apologies if you already know this.....

On the B7K model I set the pedal to control the drive from 0-10, but I also set it on the level but reversed min/max to sweep from 10 to 6,  so as I increase the drive it simulataneously backs the level down a bit so it maintain a more even volume with distortion.

I thought that was pretty cool, you may already be doing that so apologies if this is old news.

Edited by 41Hz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

My M Audio EX-P expression pedal came in the post today. At £14 it’s an absolute bargain.

I just found something really cool on the helix with the expression pedal - apologies if you already know this.....

On the B7K model I set the pedal to control the drive from 0-10, but I also set it on the level but reversed min/max to sweep from 10 to 6,  so as I increase the drive it simulataneously backs the level down a bit so it maintain a more even volume with distortion.

I thought that was pretty cool, you may already be doing that so apologies if this is old news.

I actually do that with an Ampeg sim, but just on a foot switch. 
Switch off, Drive on 5. Master on 10. Switch on drive on 10, master on 6. Works really well. 

Just ordered a Helix FX. As much as the Stomp is working for me i was struggling to see what effects were on or off when controlled by an external foot switch. Lack of LED's and the small screen made it a bit of a distraction. The FX will be better for me on stage. I spent most of the evening at rehearsals using the BDDI sim, just  to make sure i can give up the Amp sim, and i can, very easily. using the BDDI sim was like coming home. 

• Like 3

On 04/11/2019 at 17:08, 41Hz said:

Wondered if this is possible......

I would like to assign a single footswitch for pitch shift, I need to drop either a semi tone or a whole tone (Eb or D) for some songs. Ideally I’d like to cycle through 3 options on a single switch, ie OFF, -1, -2, OFF etc.

I can do it with two switches, either two separate pitch shift blocks on separate switches with the interval set to -1 and -2, or a single pitch shift on one then assign a different foot switch to toggle the interval with max/min values of -1,-2.

Is this possible using just one switch? Thought I’d read you can toggle multiple effects on a single switch, but so far I can’t see how.

I’ve found a fairly quick way to do this - press and hold the mode button to go into pedal edit mode. Tap pitch shift, it defaults to interval as the first parameter, then use up/down to change between -1/-2. Just timed myself and can change the pitch in 3 seconds with 3 taps. Probably quicker than me bending down and twiddling the knobs....and better for my knees/back!

• Like 2

My FX is arriving Monday and i have a rehearsal on Tuesday. Im confident i can manually program the FX with copies of what i have in the Stomp, but wondering if its worth trying to load the Stomp patches in to the FX via the Editor? Its really only two patches and neither have any Amp or Cab sims.

Any thought?

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

My FX is arriving Monday and i have a rehearsal on Tuesday. Im confident i can manually program the FX with copies of what i have in the Stomp, but wondering if its worth trying to load the Stomp patches in to the FX via the Editor? Its really only two patches and neither have any Amp or Cab sims.

Any thought?

You could try doing this way with 2x hxedit windows....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just ordered a Helix FX. As much as the Stomp is working for me i was struggling to see what effects were on or off when controlled by an external foot switch. Lack of LED's and the small screen made it a bit of a distraction. The FX will be better for me on stage. 

The FX is very clear on stage as to what is on. There are a couple of times I have looked down because something sounded a bit off and noted that I still had an effect on that I wasn't aware of!

• Like 1

Cheers Guys. im pretty sure it should be just a case of loading the saved pre-sets in to the new box, but it would sdprobly only take me 5mins to program the FX anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing more visual indication as to whats on. The 3 illuminated switches are fine, but its so hard see the other two at a glance as they are just small coloured blobs.

My plan is to have the more noticeable effects on the top row, and keep the most used on the bottom row.

Got my FX today. Very pleased with it. Quite program (did my training on the Stomp), i managed to transfer all my patches over to it from the Stomp manually, no software used. I love how  all the effects parameters can be tweaked using just foot switches, so very handy for making adjustments on the fly while still playing.  Love the fact that i can see everything at one time. 

Its a bit heavier than I expected. Not a deal breaker at all, it feels very sturdy. There are a few niggles as far as finding when things are goes, i know what I want but cant find a few of them easily, as they are in different places compared to the Stomp. 

Cant believe this box is cheaper than the Stomp (I realise it's missing stuff, but nothin gill ever miss). I'm not getting rid of the Stomp though, at least not yet. The FX fits in my gig bag with my amp and leads, so can live there when I'm not rehearsing or gigs, and the Stomp will stay in the bedroom for headphone practice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Got my FX today. Very pleased with it. Quite program (did my training on the Stomp), i managed to transfer all my patches over to it from the Stomp manually, no software used. I love how  all the effects parameters can be tweaked using just foot switches, so very handy for making adjustments on the fly while still playing.  Love the fact that i can see everything at one time. 

Its a bit heavier than I expected. Not a deal breaker at all, it feels very sturdy. There are a few niggles as far as finding when things are goes, i know what I want but cant find a few of them easily, as they are in different places compared to the Stomp. 

Cant believe this box is cheaper than the Stomp (I realise it's missing stuff, but nothin gill ever miss). I'm not getting rid of the Stomp though, at least not yet. The FX fits in my gig bag with my amp and leads, so can live there when I'm not rehearsing or gigs, and the Stomp will stay in the bedroom for headphone practice. 

These are £1.02 from CPC, they will let you use headphones with the HXFX, in fact you could get two and use the other for line in to play along with audio.

Glad you like the HXFX, I was wondering if I was missing something not having the stomp, but the HXFX is so easy to use playing live, I think I’d struggle with the stomp.

C84E0867-1E4B-4926-AACE-FC25FE04AC26.jpeg

8 hours ago, 41Hz said:

These are £1.02 from CPC, they will let you use headphones with the HXFX, in fact you could get two and use the other for line in to play along with audio.

Glad you like the HXFX, I was wondering if I was missing something not having the stomp, but the HXFX is so easy to use playing live, I think I’d struggle with the stomp.

C84E0867-1E4B-4926-AACE-FC25FE04AC26.jpeg

Thanks. I have a few of those laying around. Ill try and see what i can get out of the FX at the weekend. I'm more than happy to keep both though. I like the idea of keeping all the live gear packed away at home and ready to go, plus the Stomp is smaller so i can keep it near the bed. 

Other than the Global EQ and built in noise gate in each patch I won't miss the Stomp for live use. The FX does make much more sense for me. 

Quick question. Is there a quick way to change Presets without using the bank Select mode.  What I mean is when I'm editing a patch, and decide i want to start again i find i have to go out of edit mode, in to patch select mode, tap on another patch and then back to the one i was editing. I find i do this on the Stomp as well. I'm sure there must be a shorter way. 

Edited by dave_bass5

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

With regard to the Stomp vs HX FX, won't some of the amp and cab sims be really useful if you're trying to emulate Tech 21 kit e.g. that new SH1 pedal? 

Useful yeah, but there's enough overdrives and other pedals in there that it's probably doable either way. The BDDI, Darkglass and Ampeg pedal models with correct compression and EQ should make a decent stab of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

With regard to the Stomp vs HX FX, won't some of the amp and cab sims be really useful if you're trying to emulate Tech 21 kit e.g. that new SH1 pedal? 

Well i have the BDDI sim, plus i dont need or want to emulate the SH1. Having recently brought a new amp i cant see the point of ruining an Amp sim as well, other than as an EQ.

As Jack says, there is more then enough EQ options and Pre amps in the FX to cover anything ill need, and as my fav tone is the BDDI im covered for now. I do fancy giving the Ampeg Screamer a go tonight though.

@GisserD I’m using your “Amp Tone’z” Stomp patch on quite a few songs on my current Panto gig in Ipswich. It’s proving to work quite nicely in a mix!

Special mention goes to the Yamaha DXR12s supplied to us by the sound crew. They sound great! My monitor comfortably fills the whole stage (and the whole rehearsal building!) with full fat bass. 

2DA06E76-60CE-4689-A79E-8F56B01E522A.thumb.jpeg.79b8032e062fbffe67f8b79e597c7dcd.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches