Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

20 minutes ago, GisserD said:

yes i've been keeping an eye on the L6 forums and TGP. it gets pretty brutal!

I think this will be the last time they announce a firmware update with any timescale associated.

at the end of the day, it will be ready when its ready! no amount of beaching and moaning will change that.

You should see the heat that Mackie are getting for their delay in Master Fader 5.

It's always the same with software. I don't know why companies bother announcing release dates... as timescales, especially when it comes to software, inevitably slide!

27 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

It's always the same with software. I don't know why companies bother announcing release dates... as timescales, especially when it comes to software, inevitably slide!

So true. Line 6 have had so many snarky comments, memes, jokes etc aimed at them re: the pending release of firmware v2.8

Surely the thing to do is keep quiet until it’s ready, then BAM! Hit ‘em with a nice surprise and get the community excited about the product all over again.

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

A snapshot is linked to a preset. It is a variation of a preset where parameters or pedal off/on states can be different.  For example, if you had an amp and a chorus and a distortion in your preset,  your default preset could have the amp drive set low and the chorus off, and the distortion off.  You could then save a snapshot of this exact same preset,  but with the amp drive cranked and the chorus on. You could save another snapshot with the chorus on, the distortion and and the amp mids cranked. You could switch between these variations of your preset.

Best use of snapshots is changing sounds or effects values mid-song (my guitarist has a rhythm, a lead and a solo snapshot for example) where you are emulating the multiple pressing of pedals OR the changing of pedal settings.  This is preferable to switching presets mid-song. 

It's really cool.

Brill - thanks for the detailed reply! Now, shall I upgrade from my  M13? Much to ponder.

19 hours ago, CameronJ said:

So true. Line 6 have had so many snarky comments, memes, jokes etc aimed at them re: the pending release of firmware v2.8

Surely the thing to do is keep quiet until it’s ready, then BAM! Hit ‘em with a nice surprise and get the community excited about the product all over again.

I don't see any harm in teasing updates with a rough idea of the timeline - but if you're going to do that you need to provide some updates if that timeline is going to slide.... If the target you've set yourself has passed and you've not said anything at all, it's understandable that some people are going to get a bit irked.

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Im guessing there are no rumours of new products then - seems a while that they have been out now. I am still waiting for my 'helix in a hx effects footprint' box!

There was a presentation from the Line 6 guys a while ago - I think it might have been a NAMM one - where they were talking about some 2.8 features, and while talking about the new Helix Core stuff the presenter said "no amp sims on HX effects....... YET"... so it's possible they are looking at bringing the HX effects up to HX stomp type capabilities at some point...

47 minutes ago, stoo said:

There was a presentation from the Line 6 guys a while ago - I think it might have been a NAMM one - where they were talking about some 2.8 features, and while talking about the new Helix Core stuff the presenter said "no amp sims on HX effects....... YET"... so it's possible they are looking at bringing the HX effects up to HX stomp type capabilities at some point...

Well, that would be handy I suppose, but not really what I am after, as the stomp is also no good to me due to a lack of blocks (although specifically in the stomps case, also a lack of buttons). I am more after full helix capabilities, ie, extra DSP capacity in something the size (and button count) of the HX Effects.

Basically I want a helix that is small enough I can use on a pedalboard. I am thinking the HX Effects size is about as small as you can get away with, or maybe a bit smaller (6 buttons),

I assume as with all things, it is just a matter of time

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that would be handy I suppose, but not really what I am after, as the stomp is also no good to me due to a lack of blocks (although specifically in the stomps case, also a lack of buttons). I am more after full helix capabilities, ie, extra DSP capacity in something the size (and button count) of the HX Effects.

Basically I want a helix that is small enough I can use on a pedalboard. I am thinking the HX Effects size is about as small as you can get away with, or maybe a bit smaller (6 buttons),

I assume as with all things, it is just a matter of time

2 stomps at once?

1 hour ago, stoo said:

2 stomps at once?

Effectively in a way that would work but that would be 2 loads of 3 buttons, rather than a load of 6.

i guess an hx effects for the input and a stomp for the amps would work (with some kind of midi to connect patches) but I would inagine you are getting if for the size of an LT by then!

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No, it doesn’t. I guess I will just wait, it is pretty inevitable they will make one at some point!

I seriously doubt we’ll see another form factor for Helix to be honest. They’ve got something for everyone now. Floor & Rack for those who want everything, LT for those who want all the processing but without the overwhelming surplus of inputs & outputs, Native for those who want all the processing but no hardware, HX Effects for those using their own amps and HX Stomp for those who lusted after Floor, Rack & LT but couldn’t justify the physical bulk or cost of those units.

I honestly can’t imagine what else Line 6 could possibly add to the Helix family at this stage.

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Spectracomp will save 1 block

May I ask what your doing that needs more than 6 blocks? 

I very rarely get to 6 on my stomp. 

I am using it on a chapman stick. So I have stereo input (not actually stereo, dual mono) each which need a compressor. Then I have a volume pedal, full time on the melody side and switchable on the bass. Then reverb chorus and echo. Then could do with an amp to be honest.

For the bass I rarely run out of blocks (but I do use them all), for the guitar I have got to the limit several times.

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I seriously doubt we’ll see another form factor for Helix to be honest. They’ve got something for everyone now. Floor & Rack for those who want everything, LT for those who want all the processing but without the overwhelming surplus of inputs & outputs, Native for those who want all the processing but no hardware, HX Effects for those using their own amps and HX Stomp for those who lusted after Floor, Rack & LT but couldn’t justify the physical bulk or cost of those units.

Seriously? You think that is it now, their designers can just pick up their stuff and go of walking or something, as that is it for effects pedals?

honestly, there is a long way to go. Go and have a look at the pedalboard thread, could some of those be replicated on a helix? Not even close. So yeh, a long long way to go.

and they hardly have something for everyone, as clearly I am asking for something they haven't done yet, but is fairly obvious.

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I honestly can’t imagine what else Line 6 could possibly add to the Helix family at this stage.

If you can't imagine what else could be needed maybe you have missed your calling in the fender bass design department 😀

i want the functionality of the helix in a box the size of the stomp. This isn't a money thing, this is a size thing, I don't have room for the helix, but the stomp or the HX effects don't have the blocks, or in the case of the stomp, the control and blocks.

and beyond that I can think of several effects pedals that can't be replicated in a helix. Why can't you imagine that those could be done too?

• Like 1

Woody - are you already invested in any Helix kit (e.g. Helix Native?) or have you held fire so far?

The FM3 is the same size as the Stomp and has the same number of (three) footswitches. 

It does pack some serious DSP power - equivalent to (or possibly better than) the full Helix in a Stomp sized box. 

Not sure how many 'blocks' it would allow - full floor Helix I believe delivers 32 blocks, HX effects 9 blocks and, as we have been discussing, HX Stomp a potentially limiting 6.

My, albeit limited, experience is that the quality of multi-fx effects simulations is directly related to their DSP power, so Helix Stomp > Zoom B3n > Zoom MS 60B. Providing the extra DSP power isn't simply being expended on extra blocks, I'd similarly expect the FM3 to be a step up in sim quality from the Stomp and for me it should start to be indistinguishable in a band setting from individual dedicated pedals.

The FM3 is likely to come with a price tag to match, though, i.e. circa £1,000 vs £389 for the Stomp.

But if it has a quality synth engine on a par with a Panda FI, I could be tempted to trade both my Stomp and FI for a one box solution and invest the time in getting up to speed on one UI rather than needing to faff around needing to master two.

I guess Fractal Audio needed to do something BIG to stop Helix knocking it off its multi-fx perch entirely and it would seem that the FM3 is the result.

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Seriously? You think that is it now, their designers can just pick up their stuff and go of walking or something, as that is it for effects pedals?

honestly, there is a long way to go. Go and have a look at the pedalboard thread, could some of those be replicated on a helix? Not even close. So yeh, a long long way to go.

and they hardly have something for everyone, as clearly I am asking for something they haven't done yet, but is fairly obvious.

You’ve misinterpreted my meaning. There are plenty of effect types and features that can be added through firmware, sure. I meant I don’t see what else Line 6 can bring in terms of a new hardware design as they already have so many bases covered.

Line 6 perhaps shot themselves in the foot by making LT the same physical size as Floor. If it were somewhere between the size of Floor and HX Effects, still with plenty of footswitches but without the Wah/volume pedal it would be a more distinct part of the range and have broader appeal IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

You’ve misinterpreted my meaning. There are plenty of effect types and features that can be added through firmware, sure. I meant I don’t see what else Line 6 can bring in terms of a new hardware design as they already have so many bases covered.

Well, luckily they do. In the multi effects world, the age of a unit is as significant as the functionality. I mean I know everyone is mad keen on the helix now, but go back to the last generation and it isn't much difference, just the way it is laid out and the displays etc. Sound wise its probably not possible to tell.

So in a few years old all this stuff will be 'old tech' so their sales will drop because it needs to be updated, so it will be and in 10 years time people will be on forums saying 'well, yeh, I remember when the helix came out and everything thought it was ok, seems so primitive now'.

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Woody - are you already invested in any Helix kit (e.g. Helix Native?) or have you held fire so far?

I have an HX Effects,  which currently provides the base of all the effects that I need for the stick to be getting on with, but obviously not amp models. That isn't so much of a drawback at the moment, but it maybe a limit later.

I am still seriously thinking about HX Native.

TBH, I think that Bias Amp and effects actually would cover all my needs (and easier to use than helix), except for a lack of dual channel input.

The FM3 is the same size as the Stomp and has the same number of (three) footswitches. 

It does pack some serious DSP power - equivalent to (or possibly better than) the full Helix in a Stomp sized box. 

Not sure how many 'blocks' it would allow - full floor Helix I believe delivers 32 blocks, HX effects 9 blocks and, as we have been discussing, HX Stomp a potentially limiting 6.

Blocks are a helix thing really - you just have a number of DSP processors each of which have a processing chain of what they can do in a given time, pretty much like any processor (like the frame rate in games). Line 6 have divided that into a series of blocks to make it easily understandable by people who don't understand technology (ie, guitarists).

My, albeit limited, experience is that the quality of multi-fx effects simulations is directly related to their DSP power, so Helix Stomp > Zoom B3n > Zoom MS 60B. Providing the extra DSP power isn't simply being expended on extra blocks, I'd similarly expect the FM3 to be a step up in sim quality from the Stomp and for me it should start to be indistinguishable in a band setting from individual dedicated pedals.

Not directly but it does have an impact. Obviously the more power you have the better quality you can get the effects, but you still have to program them in the first place.

The FM3 is likely to come with a price tag to match, though, i.e. circa £1,000 vs £389 for the Stomp.

But if it has a quality synth engine on a par with a Panda FI, I could be tempted to trade both my Stomp and FI for a one box solution and invest the time in getting up to speed on one UI rather than needing to faff around needing to master two.

When it came to synths I was considering going for an SY-300 but not sure how well that would work. In my situation it might actually be a good option, or a VG-99 (or 88). The SY has the advantage that I could also use it for the bass, but again it is one extra thing to lug around and power.

FM3has the equivalent of about 48 blocks I think.

It is not a direct competitor to a Helix and is not just about how many footswitches something has, it’s more than that as inside it houses the whole Fractal full fat engine, the Axe FX III

It sits slightly above a stomp, but below a Helix floor unit in both price and functions, but if you pair an FM3 with the FC-6 it comes in at a similar price to a Helix floor unit, is modular in that you can use it on its own, or with the floor unit, and with a very useable footprint, you can go for a larger floor controller if you wish.

All in all a very decent alternative with its own abilities, but it is different. They are a smaller operation and I think Helix with yamaha power got theirs out in the market first.

Fractal are a decent company as those that ordered the AX8 (which would have become defunct) were either offered a full refund or their purchase moved to the FM3

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, tonyclaret said:

Ooh Sansamp 😍

Yep, and a Scrambler and. SVT 4PRO that sounds better than the real thing (to me anyway, having had one!) 

Few nice new touches in the HX Edit too

And, with Ampeg now being part of the Yamaha family,  all the Ampeg amps and pedals retain their proper names..

Edited by Muppet

Just had a read through the change log for 2.8 and there’s some really tasty stuff in there. Not least the ability to set Helix Native to compatibility mode for whatever hardware you’ve got. So for those of us running Stomp, we can set Native to behave exactly like our hardware does. The benefit being guaranteed 1:1 compatibility of presets between the two. Glorious.

Unifying all the Helix platforms “under the hood” was a very smart move. Well done Line 6.

Also, all the Ampeg models now being explicitly called Ampegs is oddly satisfying!