Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh not the HX, the power supply!

Ah, sorry.

My power supply is plugged into a multi plug power socket which i turn on and off at the wall. I'm not sure I've ever touched it while the Stomp was on.

Edited by Cato

3 hours ago, GisserD said:

Logically tho... What would you possibly want before a FI? 

I keep mine in front of the helix

I run the three band compressor before it.  But I put it where it is because with the Helix I can!

Still awaiting mine as stocks are low country wide. proving very popular.

any body got some opinions on the Fuzz tones available, really looking at the EHX big muff on bass and the Fuzz factory but think there are 2-3 others to choose. manly want the pedal for drive and a bit of grit effects, whats best on the unit for this.

1 minute ago, Rollin Thunder said:

Still awaiting mine as stocks are low country wide. proving very popular.

any body got some opinions on the Fuzz tones available, really looking at the EHX big muff on bass and the Fuzz factory but think there are 2-3 others to choose. manly want the pedal for drive and a bit of grit effects, whats best on the unit for this.

If you just want a bit of grit it might be worth just checking out some of amp and cab sims on their own.

The SVT is pretty growly.

If you want more then there's plenty of options available,  from a  tube screamer type boost to the heaviest full on distortion.

40 minutes ago, Cato said:

If you just want a bit of grit it might be worth just checking out some of amp and cab sims on their own.

The SVT is pretty growly.

If you want more then there's plenty of options available,  from a  tube screamer type boost to the heaviest full on distortion.

is the tubscreamer good on bass? i will use the SVT sims a bit, but my Transtube Swithc on my Peavey amp does that pretty well. Looking forward to using the Pearce preamp as well.

42 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

is the tubscreamer good on bass? i will use the SVT sims a bit, but my Transtube Swithc on my Peavey amp does that pretty well. Looking forward to using the Pearce preamp as well.

I've not used the TS on bass but it's a relatively subtle effect when used with a guitar. I reckon it could be worth trying on bass to push it into that 'just starting to break up' zone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Because I haven't had a chance (as my HX is on my pedalboard), so before I take it off and try, I want to connect a stereo instrument to it (yes, its a chapman stick), split the stereo to two mono paths and connect a volume pedal which can either control the volume of one channel or optionally both channels, ie, bypass the volume on one channel. Does that sound like something I could do?

I do think that I am probably going to run out of effects blocks on the HX pretty soon, I think if I ever get to gig this thing, I am going to end up going for a full helix.

Or maybe just connect the stick to a behringer xair mixer and then to the HX effects.

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Because I haven't had a chance (as my HX is on my pedalboard), so before I take it off and try, I want to connect a stereo instrument to it (yes, its a chapman stick), split the stereo to two mono paths and connect a volume pedal which can either control the volume of one channel or optionally both channels, ie, bypass the volume on one channel. Does that sound like something I could do?

I do think that I am probably going to run out of effects blocks on the HX pretty soon, I think if I ever get to gig this thing, I am going to end up going for a full helix.

Or maybe just connect the stick to a behringer xair mixer and then to the HX effects.

I would be tempted to apply an expression pedal block to both channels which controls volume. You can then use snapshots to switch the volume blocks on or off at your pleasure. That way you only need one pedal to do everything. On the other hand that is taking up another two effects blocks which you say you are going to run out of.

Oh yes, the volume blocks, makes sense. That takes 2 blocks, leaving 4, I also need compression, so two separate compressors, I guess that means I have just two effects blocks to play with. 

I haven't actually used snapshots at all, I still use the box like a whole load of effects pedals that I turn on and off. I really should spend a bit of time with it!

You can assign multiple actions to one footswitch yes, or you can use snapshots. I tend to use the latter for adjusting various parameter levels of the same effect rather than switching the effects on and off. 

1 hour ago, burno70 said:

That's good news. So, what's a snap shot? I know, I'm being lazy here!

A snapshot is linked to a preset. It is a variation of a preset where parameters or pedal off/on states can be different.  For example, if you had an amp and a chorus and a distortion in your preset,  your default preset could have the amp drive set low and the chorus off, and the distortion off.  You could then save a snapshot of this exact same preset,  but with the amp drive cranked and the chorus on. You could save another snapshot with the chorus on, the distortion and and the amp mids cranked. You could switch between these variations of your preset.

Best use of snapshots is changing sounds or effects values mid-song (my guitarist has a rhythm, a lead and a solo snapshot for example) where you are emulating the multiple pressing of pedals OR the changing of pedal settings.  This is preferable to switching presets mid-song. 

It's really cool.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GisserD said:

rumor has it that the 2.80 firmware might drop in the coming days.

It's in final test I think.  The Line 6 guys are really getting it (unfairly) from the user community, because they announced it a while back as being 'Spring' which was interpreted by many as 'definitely scheduled for 1st March'  and when it didn't arrive, people started screaming as if their Helix products had suddenly stopped working (which obviously they hadn't). It's all rather amusing but I feel sorry for Line 6 - they're trying to keep a product fresh and getting beaten for it.....

3 minutes ago, Muppet said:

It's in final test I think.  The Line 6 guys are really getting it (unfairly) from the user community, because they announced it a while back as being 'Spring' which was interpreted by many as 'definitely scheduled for 1st March'  and when it didn't arrive, people started screaming as if their Helix products had suddenly stopped working (which obviously they hadn't). It's all rather amusing but I feel sorry for Line 6 - they're trying to keep a product fresh and getting beaten for it.....

yes i've been keeping an eye on the L6 forums and TGP. it gets pretty brutal!

I think this will be the last time they announce a firmware update with any timescale associated.

at the end of the day, it will be ready when its ready! no amount of beaching and moaning will change that.

• Al Krow changed the title to Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches