Why become a member? ×

Silver Series p-bass body, neck and fretboard - cleaned and retained mojo.

Paddy515

Can anyone suggest the best product to clean this gunked-up body please? The neck is in a similar state and the fretboard worse still!! Someone suggested to me Murphy's soap oil but would have to send away for that product if it's the right thing to use. Thanks.

p4.jpg

p6.jpg

Edited by Paddy515
job done

Literally for the body & back of the neck (if lacquered) spray disinfectant, Dettol maybe? 

As for the fingerboard, if you want it CLEAN like NO gunk & other peoples finger juice CLEAN:

Warm water, fairy dish soap and a handheld bristle brush.

Scrub the fingerboard with the grain lightly and when the soap suds build up wipe off with kitchen roll. 

Examine the disgusting green & brown goo that’s off countless other bass paws and wretch in pure and utter shock.

After the thorough scrub, dry the fingerboard off with kitchen roll and leave to sit 10 mins to air dry. 

The fretboard should now look somewhat dry and maybe feel slightly “crispy”

DONT LEAVE IT LIKE THAT. You’ll end up with sharp fret ends if you do because it’ll shrink.

First pass of oil after a deep clean should be a flood coat. I’ve found Linseed oil/Mineral oil to be the best. Lemon oil is a waste of time and money if you ask me and will not help condition the fingerboard as most lemon oils sold on the market contain alcohol and drying agents (which is actually unhealthy for a fingerboard, it will tighten the grain and overall make the fretboard shrink) 

Linseed/ Mineral oil fingerboard and let sit to soak in for around 15 minutes. 

Wipe off any excess and if the fretboard doesn’t look well enough conditioned go over it a second time with the oil, sparingly however. 

Polish for the body/ any lacquered parts and Mineral oil I’d recommend are by Music Nomad, best stuff available if you ask me. 

Edited by Bassislife16
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

Literally for the body & back of the neck (if lacquered) spray disinfectant, Dettol maybe? 

As for the fingerboard, if you want it CLEAN like NO gunk & other peoples finger juice CLEAN:

Warm water, fairy dish soap and a handheld bristle brush.

Scrub the fingerboard with the grain lightly and when the soap suds build up wipe off with kitchen roll. 

Examine the disgusting green & brown goo that’s off countless other bass paws and wretch in pure and utter shock.

After the thorough scrub, dry the fingerboard off with kitchen roll and leave to sit 10 mins to air dry. 

The fretboard should now look somewhat dry and maybe feel slightly “crispy”

DONT LEAVE IT LIKE THAT. You’ll end up with sharp fret ends if you do because it’ll shrink.

First pass of oil after a deep clean should be a flood coat. I’ve found Linseed oil/Mineral oil to be the best. Lemon oil is a waste of time and money if you ask me and will not help condition the fingerboard as most lemon oils sold on the market contain alcohol and drying agents (which is actually unhealthy for a fingerboard, it will tighten the grain and overall make the fretboard shrink) 

Linseed/ Mineral oil fingerboard and let sit to soak in for around 15 minutes. 

Wipe off any excess and if the fretboard doesn’t look well enough conditioned go over it a second time with the oil, sparingly however. 

Polish for the body/ any lacquered parts and Mineral oil I’d recommend are by Music Nomad, best stuff available if you ask me. 

Comprehensive answer - many thanks Bassislife 16

If you use linseed oil, make sure you hang the cloth out to dry afterwards. If left screwed up in a ball it could spontaneously combust (!)

I'd be tempted to start with a damp cloth on the body, maybe with a hint of detergent and take your time. You can always build up to stronger solvents if that doesn't shift it. You'll be surprised what water can shift and it's least likely to spoil the finish 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s cleaned up well, it has a bit of mojo , if it was me I would strip the bridge and clean it up and re set the intonation .  nice job 👍how does it play ?

Had the bridge in white vinegar for 3 hours which cleaned plenty of gunk from it. Dont want it too shinny!! Intonation is spot on and it plays very well with plenty of growl - using the old strings it came with, just wiped them over with the vinegar.

• Like 1

I had a Silver Series P bass and it is the one bass I have sold that I regret not holding on to.  It was lightweight, slim neck, played fantastically well and sounded even better.  Stupidly I kept on seeking my 'perfect P', not realising I had pretty much let one slip through my hands.  A few years and many £hundreds later I do indeed have perfect Ps but it would have saved a lot of time angst and money had I simply held on to that Silver Series.  

Nice job, btw!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I had a Silver Series P bass and it is the one bass I have sold that I regret not holding on to.  It was lightweight, slim neck, played fantastically well and sounded even better.  Stupidly I kept on seeking my 'perfect P', not realising I had pretty much let one slip through my hands.  A few years and many £hundreds later I do indeed have perfect Ps but it would have saved a lot of time angst and money had I simply held on to that Silver Series.  

Nice job, btw!

Amazing what can be done with luke-warm water, white vinegar and teal oil (which I like but no-one else seems to). It growls like a grizzly too!!