Why become a member? ×

I've hit a wall with my bass playing

kevvo66

Dear Deirdre I mean basschat ,Well I've finally admitted too myself my playing gone stale stuff ,I used find easy to play and study just doesn't happen no more and it's getting me down , I used know my circle of fifths , major scale , minor scale .and everything inbetween  it become quit embarrassing I've even forgotten what key I'm in oh bugger ,My brain turns to mush ,I've even thought about lessons but finding someone near me in Nantwich in Cheshire is like looking for a needle in a haystack plenty of guitar tutors but no dedicated bass tutors , not really into Skype type of lessons any suggestions much appreciated 😕

Taking a few guitar lessons might help, especially if it’s theory you want to learn a quality guitar tutor should be able to help with that.  The other thing that usually gets  me out of a rut is learning new songs, especially songs in genres I’m not used to playing.

It isn't mentioned in your post whether you play in a band or not.

For me, I have a bad streak of procrastination and I'd probably never pick up a bass if I didn't feel the pressure of an up-coming gig or rehearsal.

Playing with other people, especially people better than me, is a real driver for improvement.  

• Like 1

I can nail it live , when put on the spot , perhaps I miss the gigging,  ,all my theory I learnt as a guitar player  seems of gone out of the window ,perhaps I'm not loving bass as much these days and I may take a break and concentrate on my acoustic guitar for now or learn keys think the break will do me good to be honest as mentioned by Crawford 13 drums!!!

Edited by kevvo66

Sometimes a break is what you need. If you're building up frustration and resentment around your bass playing, do something else until you miss it enough that you really want to go back to it. 

Just a thought kevvo, is there a seasonal pattern to this? A lot of peeps who are short of a medical diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Disorder still go down a bit as the daylight gets shorter. I'd suggest getting outside during the day as much as you can and make sure the lighting in your house is bright... maybe vitamin D too. Be easy on yourself for the next two or three months and it's possible all your musical knowledge and experience will come back as the days get longer. 

Just a guess but something a lot of peeps don't recognise. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

As suggested above, new songs in genres that are not what you normally play.

Another idea would be try 5 or even 6 string bass or fretless if you haven't played them. When I switched from EB to EUB and then to DB I had to learn a whole lot about bass playing and have become a much better and much more confident bass player and I am playing things that for years I thought were way beyond my ability.I should add that I started on EUB about four years ago and bought a DB this year after many years of playing guitar and the last 30 years gigging on bass.  I am 72 and having a blast learning all sorts of new material and techniques and playing in two gigging bands playing jazz standards with very good musicians and that has forced me to up my game.

• Like 1

Perhaps you are just bored with playing, I have the same thing once in a while. Now, I only practice when I really want to play, that way I am inspired and keen to do it. If I dont feel the Mojo I dont force myself and simply go through the same old same old just to say I have practiced. Find a genre of music you have not played before and with bass lines that excite you. Music should be fun and exciting not a chore or a box to be ticked.

• Like 1

In my experience, enthusiasm & progress with the bass comes in fits & starts: a period where everything comes together & feels good, followed by a period of frustration, and repeat.

I think you'll be able to ride out this ennui, but as others have said, guitar lessons or something different might just make things more enjoyable.

Good luck!

Edited by Teebs

Thanks peeps, much appreciated as always for all your advice, I do have a Fretless and six stringer and 5,think I'll concentrate on those babies for now, I'm definitely getting more into jazz and funk these days think that's answered my own self doubt really, cheers

I'm taking lessons. I told the guy I was bored with my rut and I wanted him to find me a new one.

So far it's working really well. I'm probably tool old to carve out a completely new rut, but the current one is a lot wider and far more interesting.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

2 things worth doing & they've both been mentioned.   Find a new genre or two & learn a new instrument.

I find writing/composing/remixing music on my DAW means I have to write & record a bassline.  I don't always use bass guitar for this, as often I'll use the Seaboard to play some synth bass.  The good thing about this is I can transfer it to bass, meaning I'll come up with basslines that I wouldn't have on the stringed thing (I'm not saying they're always good, but they're different & often fun to play).

A tutor is a good move too.