Why become a member? ×

Lead through the strap?

lowdowner

Thats bizarre - i tried it earlier this evening on my active bass, was fine.  I dont know if it's because i was running through my Zoom B3 before the amp ?

Just read the blurb on the link and it actually states " not for active pickups "    and that's not quite the same as passive pickups using a preamp

Edited by fleabag

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Thats bizarre - i tried it earlier this evening on my active bass, was fine.  I dont know if it's because i was running through my Zoom B3 before the amp ?

Just read the blurb on the link and it actually states " not for active pickups "    and that's not quite the same as passive pickups using a preamp

The issue is how the jack socket is wired. A lot of rechargeable wireless transmitters using a TRS socket use the Ring for charging. 

If the jack socket is wired with a TRS socket to use Ring to connect the battery circuit to switch the Preamp on and off then you have the two ring connections connected and thus connecting two battery circuits which may well have a voltage and ampage mismatch....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Oooh over my dumb techy head, but sounds like a brilliant answer

In essence: if your wireless charges through the jack socket and if your Preamp is wired at the socket to use a jack to switch it on and off in one specific way - there are other ways.. then:

3YzAuJ9.jpg

(actually the above picture is not representative - you just get an odd buzzing sound and no output but I couldn’t find a picture of that)

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, lowdowner said:

Thanks but I know i’m Sounding a bit dim but I can’t picture this - what is stopping the lead just pulling like it would anyway?

Your strap holds it (the cord) tight against the body of your bass. The Beatles taught me that ! Everyone I have played with who didn't do this unplugged in the middle of a song and everyone knew who screwed up. Very few gtr players changed their ways however.

4 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Doesn’t stop the sudden lack of bass guitar for the audience though (actually promotes it)?! 🙂 

Quite like the idea of booby trapping the guitarists rig with one though 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

No but almost all basses with a battery inside use the jack socket as a switch to turn the circuits off. 

It's just a stereo socket instead of a mono one in the bass and the male end shorts the spare contact to the ground. 

BBBBzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... 

7 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Doesn’t really address the whole bass suddenly not making a sound in the middle of a song because cable lying on floor issue though...

2 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Doesn’t really address the whole bass suddenly not making a sound in the middle of a song because cable lying on floor issue though... 

At least the jack and lead will be protected and let's face it, if you're playing Jambalaya, Blanket on the Ground or something by Coldplay or Dire 'effin Straits then it can't be a bad thing eh?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

No but almost all basses with a battery inside use the jack socket as a switch to turn the circuits off. 

It's just a stereo socket instead of a mono one in the bass and the male end shorts the spare contact to the ground. 

BBBBzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... Quote

I guess mr Bridgehouse explained this but i must have got lucky. I have another active bass to try,  so i'll see if  i can replicate the buzz on that one

• Thanks 1

Just now, fleabag said:

I guess mr Bridgehouse explained this but i must have got lucky. I have another active bass to try,  so i'll see if  i can replicate the buzz on that one

Ibanez tend to wire theirs in a way that doesn’t work with jack-charged wireless units.

6 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

BBBBzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... 

It depends on what way round the battery neutral and common ground are wired to the socket.