Why become a member? ×

No More Pubs - What Next?

spongebob

I left a covers band earlier in the year, but returned (against my better judgment) to fulfill the odd booking. In the meantime, I helped set up a semi acoustic trio, did a couple of gigs with them. 

However, it's all now come to an end. Just lack of interest, chemistry, and also my being jaded at the idea of another year doing that. 

It got me thinking.....what next? I've got no interest in pub covers. Stopped that a while back, got dragged back in, but its now never again. Rather not play at all than that. Previous originals bands I've loved, but lack of work folded those. 

What's everyone up to, that's not pub covers? Join My Band is, well, JMB....and our other decent local site closed years back. It's a tough time. Last time I was between bands, I'd joined up with another 3 by the following lunchtime....can't see that now! 

I'm aware that the World has changed quite a bit, and will continue to do so, but when I started playing (mid-'60s...), the objective for us, as a group, was to write songs and/or adapt other's material to our format, and put on a concert. Our means were more than modest (I was the only one with a salaried job, for instance...), and we weren't looking to 'play out' every week-end at all. We begged, borrowed or 'acquired' a hall to play in, organised flyers and posters and put on a show. OK, it was modest (No; make that 'very modest'...), but, as our expectations were low, we were never disappointed. Obviously there was no notion of 'making money'; just the satisfaction of playing to a moderate audience of mates, neighbours, whomsoever... was enough, and one heck of a buzz when we finished our set(s) to enthusiastic applause.
It's true also that my mentality at the time (and, to an extent, still is...) is more akin to 'Just William' than Beyoncé (I think that's spelt right..?), but I've participated since in similar ventures, some more long-lasting than others. But for advancing years and retreating health, I'd still be doing stuff of the sort. S'a matter of wanting to, really; it's not difficult.
Just sayin'.

• Like 2

I recently quit a blues band I'd been in for the last five years to avoid the routine of Saturday night gigs at pubs up to 50 miles away to indifferent audiences. Last year I played 50-60 gigs, this year about 20, plus five I am proud of that were played with a band who share my taste in music, to an audience who know the music and are there just to see us. 

I'd say think about what you really want to be playing, find some people who share that dream and get a band together, and you'll find an audience. You won't get anything like as many gigs as the local standard covers band but you'll feel so much better about yourself.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

to an audience who know the music and are there just to see us. 

That for me is the main difference between playing in a tribute band and a pub band.  Well, apart from the money, obvs.  What you get back from the audience - this huge wave of appreciation coming back at you.  I was stunned when I did my first Bon Jovi gig and felt this amazing crowd response.

• Like 2

You could find a good function band. I was in one for quite a few years and apart from anything else it was very lucrative. Great audiences, too - they're out for a good time and are usually well primed and up for it by the time you start playing. It's still covers at the end of the day, but you are well-rewarded for your efforts. I had to quit in the end as the false bonhomie with the punters and the 'audience participation' routine made me cringe to my very soul. I do miss the money though, even now. :)

• Like 2

I think what did me was a couple of years back. Old bandmate got me a dep gig with his current band. Not my thing, I thought, ska covers, but we played to an enthusiastic 3-400 people. He approached me for a project earlier in the year, he dropped out....and it kind of left the, is this it? 

My last originals band was the best ever, save for the deranged BL which drove it apart. I had the most fun not gigging, but writing and recording. 

After all this, rock covers down the pub just doesn't hold any appeal whatsoever! 

34 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That for me is the main difference between playing in a tribute band and a pub band.  Well, apart from the money, obvs.  What you get back from the audience - this huge wave of appreciation coming back at you.  I was stunned when I did my first Bon Jovi gig and felt this amazing crowd response.

I think that depends partly on the audience and partly on the band, a good pub band in a good pub where the punters know the band and appreciate live music will be better than a poor tribute act playing a venue that isn't bothered ie a works doo to a seated audience or similar. 

And visa versa obviously. 

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

I left a covers band earlier in the year, but returned (against my better judgment) to fulfill the odd booking. In the meantime, I helped set up a semi acoustic trio, did a couple of gigs with them. 

However, it's all now come to an end. Just lack of interest, chemistry, and also my being jaded at the idea of another year doing that. 

It got me thinking.....what next? I've got no interest in pub covers. Stopped that a while back, got dragged back in, but its now never again. Rather not play at all than that. Previous originals bands I've loved, but lack of work folded those. 

What's everyone up to, that's not pub covers? Join My Band is, well, JMB....and our other decent local site closed years back. It's a tough time. Last time I was between bands, I'd joined up with another 3 by the following lunchtime....can't see that now! 

My main two bands are one originals (ska/funk/whatever... happy bouncy energetic stuff) and the other originals with a good few covers added too in the same style (ska/reggae). We generally play once/twice a month with each, by choice, we could do more and we used to be busy every weekend but decided to slow down. However, it takes some time to get there. I think if it's not seen as an important source of income (which doesn't seem to be the case for you either) then it's got to be fun or nobody really is willing to put the effort. I think in that case it's important to surround yourself with people you like and get along with, personally and musically... and if it's fun, you'll all want to do it and things get done. If it's a bit of a chore, then things just... fade.

Pub covers can be fun, with the right people... but I think I understand: I would not want to do that myself at this stage (but I've enjoyed it in the past).

I've been where the OP is and it's not nice. I ended up taking a long break. Didn't pick up the bass for a couple of years. Since I've come back I've experienced such a change in my feelings towards what I play that I don't care where or what it is.

Making music is such a wonderful thing to do. In a rehearsal room, at home, a wedding, a pub, jams, open mic nights l just feel glad to be creating music.

So for me it was a psychological change rather than a musical change. But it only came about in conjunction with major changes in my life. Our experience will be similar but our individual stories different.

I hope @spongebob you rediscover the love of music in a way that suits you. Chemistry between players is so vital, maybe rock up at some informal jam nights and see if you click with someone. Could be a start.

Edited by stewblack

14 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I recently quit a blues band I'd been in for the last five years to avoid the routine of Saturday night gigs at pubs up to 50 miles away to indifferent audiences. Last year I played 50-60 gigs, this year about 20, plus five I am proud of that were played with a band who share my taste in music, to an audience who know the music and are there just to see us. 

I'd say think about what you really want to be playing, find some people who share that dream and get a band together, and you'll find an audience. You won't get anything like as many gigs as the local standard covers band but you'll feel so much better about yourself.

I'm currently on tour with my rock/blues band. This is a 45 minute set of original material, played to modest but appreciative audiences. It is so much more rewarding than playing to those indifferent pub audiences. Hard work, costing us a bit of money (plus loss of day job earnings), but so glad we made this jump.

I've done the pub covers, blues, funk rock, Classic rock, Prog Rock which i love listening to and playing and even tried the function band thing (wasn't for me) but earlier this year i received an advert from a mate who knew a guy that was doing solo Glam Rock covers with backing tracks and wanted to put a full band together for same thing. All done thru FB advert and messaging. I'd always wanted to play that stuf and tried with current drummer 6 yrs ago but couldn't get other musicians then. 

70's Glam Rock was what got me into music back in early 70's. 

I'm loving every rehearsal and altho progress is slow because of other band commitments that were all previously booked we are now looking at 1st gig early 2019. We were too late for the Xmas party gigs this year which was a shame as its ideal music for that. In effect its taken me 5-6 yrs to get the band i always wanted. I'm very happy at the moment.

My suggestion is to have a serious think about what you enjoy and what you really want from a band and if nothing available locally then consider advertising from scratch yourself. It might take time but you can pick and choose your own musicians whether that be old mates or new ones.

It might take a bit of time to get it all together but might be worthwhile.

Try Bandmix and even Gumtree for bands but Facebook is becoming more popular for bands advertising these days. 

Can only wish you the very best in your search for the ultimate band that suits what you want.

Dave

• Like 1

What music is your fave style? Find a scene of originals on that circuit, and get known. When we started our originals punk band our expectations weren`t that much at all, Tues night multi-band gigs playing to just the other bands, no money etc. Way different, there`s a good punk scene and we`ve managed to put out 3 albums, played 8 different countries so far (ok, England is one of them), done festivals etc. So find that scene, talk to the bands, keep an eye on them on Facebook, when an opening appears go for it. I`ve had more fun, and achieved more in this band than in all of my others put together.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

What music is your fave style? Find a scene of originals on that circuit, and get known. When we started our originals punk band our expectations weren`t that much at all, Tues night multi-band gigs playing to just the other bands, no money etc. Way different, there`s a good punk scene and we`ve managed to put out 3 albums, played 8 different countries so far (ok, England is one of them), done festivals etc. So find that scene, talk to the bands, keep an eye on them on Facebook, when an opening appears go for it. I`ve had more fun, and achieved more in this band than in all of my others put together.

I found the same with the punk-folk scene. Genre-specific fans tend to be very loyal and supportive of their scene. I've dropped out of it now. One of the main reasons was that I got fed-up of festivals. The gigs are out there!

48 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m in same boat as the op. I keep scanning musicians wanted sites, I’ve advertised myself, I’ve even tried forming a band. I love punk I must admit. But I’ve had no luck whatsoever. I’m finding also there is a lot of ageism in the ads.

im hopeful something will come up, but I’m not into blues bands or covers bands and it seems the market place I get most offers from.

help!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a productive chat with an old bandmate this afternoon about originals. We're on a similar page, so got a bit of potential there.....

Going to keep looking out for other opportunities as well, just in case. 

Not sure we have any originals circuit around here at all, probably further afield. There was one great place we used to play in a previous originals band, but it long gone now. 

3 hours ago, CyberBass said:

I’m in same boat as the op. I keep scanning musicians wanted sites, I’ve advertised myself, I’ve even tried forming a band. I love punk I must admit. But I’ve had no luck whatsoever. I’m finding also there is a lot of ageism in the ads.

im hopeful something will come up, but I’m not into blues bands or covers bands and it seems the market place I get most offers from.

help!!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself along to some punk gigs then - they’re happening all over the country, and most of the bands are made up of people in their 40s/50s/60s. Start with local stuff and check the bands online especially when you see the same bassist in one or two bands - could most likely be standing in with the band waiting on a permanent bassist.

Problem with being in an originals band is you've got to be prepared to travel to different parts of the country for just petrol money, if you're lucky, it's a hard slog to build up a reputation, if anybody's prepared to do it, fair play and good luck, but if you're holding down a normal job it can be difficult.