Why become a member? ×

Possible scam?

jezzaboy

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

I wondered that, also I don't understand why anyone would use paypal when they're collecting the item, I wouldn't except it either, cash only on collection

They might say that they can't collect it, maybe they live too far away, but they'll pay and arrange the courier, or a friend will collect it. Those are the usual ones that I've encountered.

15 minutes ago, ambient said:

Can you reverse a bank transfer?

In short, yes. The scenario involves a foreign bank and uncleared funds. Your bank shows you receiving the money as cleared funds, but the transaction is cancelled when the foreign source account doesn't have funds to meet it.

Or something like that!

How sure is the OP that the potential buyer IS in Glasgow, and not, say, the Ukraine or Nigeria?

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 1

Just for balance...

Several years ago now, I saw an ad (not on BC...) for a Hiwatt amp I was keen on. Isn't it always the way; I didn't have the £600 asking price. The amp was in Kingston-on-Thames; I'm in France. Not deterred, I asked the seller if I could buy it, but pay in instalments, 3 x £200. To my surprise, he agreed. I paid using Paypal (not into his account, but his father's...), and three month's later, with Our Youngest, took the ferry to Portsmouth, then train to Basingstoke, from where my elder brother drove us to Kingston to collect it. Uber-heavy, in a new flight case, it almost had to be crow-barred into the boot of the Jaguar. Some folks can be trusted; some folks are trusting. It may be rare, but sometimes the two go together. The amp (DR205...) is now our principal bass amp. A Good Deal; it does work out, sometimes.
Just for the anecdote, the car was parked in the only space available, quite far down the road from the address. My brother stayed in the car; Our Youngest and myself went in to see the amp. The bloke had it set up in the back kitchen, with a 4x12 cab. He handed me a Telecaster, to try it out; I plucked away a few chords, testing the inputs, listening for pot crackles; it seemed fine. I handed the Tele back, and the fellow turned the master to full and hit a chord. Our son and I both jumped back a metre or so; it was loud; very, very loud. Lugging the brute out to the car, my brother, who had been quietly listening to the radio in the car the while, asked what the heck that noise had been..? That power chord had woken up half of Kingston; it was audible, and bloomin' loud, all around the block..!
No, we don't play that loud, but I'm ccomforted in the knowledge that we have 'headroom', and that it can deliver..!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, petebassist said:

cow poop alarm going off big time. If it was me I wouldn't give my bank details to a complete stranger. As to showing good faith, I'd wouldn't waste my time pursuing this....sorry. Good luck.

I never understood this. You're literally giving away your bank details [*] to strangers all the time. It's good to be cautious but...

On the other hand, bringing a stranger to my place, I may be more cautious about that. 

[*] By bank details, I mean account/sort code. There's nothing anybody can do with that other than put money into your account ;) If that's a scam, scam me all the way to Chicago.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There are some misguided sorts around though.

I've bought a couple of large (but not necessarily terribly valuable) items on Ebay recently that have required collection. I always offer to pay in cash on collection -primarily so the seller doesn't lose out on the 3% or whatever it is that PayPal takes- but they invariably insist on a PayPal payment - presumably because they perceive some security in doing so. Not sure they recognize that a buyer could simply report the item as not received and have the PayPal payment reversed...

But I'm slightly amazed by people quite happy at the same time to invite a total stranger into a front room that resembles a better than averagely stocked music shop - weird mix of suspicion and complete trust there. 

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

hadn't thought of that, I know I'm very wary of giving out my paypal details, no choice on ebay obviously

@mcnach I had people trying to buy stuff off Gumtree who are very keen to pay with Paypal, perhaps could have worded it differently

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

@mcnach I had people trying to buy stuff off Gumtree who are very keen to pay with Paypal, perhaps could have worded it differently

Oh I see, it's not really you giving out your details then, I get it. Yes, it seems that nearly every time I put something on gumtree I get someone trying it on with some kind of scam, which usually involves them paying with Paypal. Nope. It's not going to happen.

7 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I wondered that, also I don't understand why anyone would use paypal when they're collecting the item, I wouldn't except it either, cash only on collection

The only thing you have to be careful with cash on collection is that it's legit / not half stuffed with newspaper. 

One reason I'm so bad at clearing out old music gear is that I hate having strangers come round, and I can't deliver. Did sell an old Fender amp on eBay once, think i took cash for that and it turned out okay, but it's not easy. Often wish I'd stuck to harmonica.... ;) 

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

The only thing you have to be careful with cash on collection is that it's legit / not half stuffed with newspaper. 

Wouldn't any seller count the cash ?  I think it would be a bit obvious if the buyer handed over a wad of £10  note shaped copies of the Dail Fail

32 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Wouldn't any seller count the cash ?  I think it would be a bit obvious if the buyer handed over a wad of £10  note shaped copies of the Dail Fail

When I sold one of my Harleys, the buyer collected and paid six grand in cash. As soon as he had gone, I drove to the bank, and half a dozen or so of the twenty quid notes were 'suspicious' when they ran them though the machine. They were eventually declared legit, but it goes to show that even an apparently healthy wedge of banknotes is not necessarily safe.