Why become a member? ×

Possible scam?

jezzaboy

I posted my Yamaha bass on Gumtree recently. I got a reply from a English guy living in Glasgow, super keen and he wanted to pick it up on Thursday. I couldn`t speak to him on the phone due to his work commitments but got him on Thursday evening. He wanted to come over and get the bass today, Friday and asked for my address. He was coming by train so I offered to collect him at the station and run him back so I didn`t pass on my address.

Got a text from him today saying a friend might run him over so could I give him my address, so it saves me coming out to collect him and I give him my address. Around 5 30, I get a text from him saying something has come up but he really wants the bass and could I hold it for 1 week! He says he is willing to transfer £20 to my account to show "good faith" so could I give him my bank details. Alarm bells are now ringing so I tell him no need to send any money, if the bass is still here he can have it. That was 3 hours ago and I have had no reply.

It may just be me but he has went from super keen on Wednesday to can`t pick up the bass on Friday and can I keep it for a week and give him my bank details. Does this story sound familiar to anyone? I could be completely wrong and the guy could be telling the truth but the old Spidey sense is tingeling.

Edited by jezzaboy

Back in the days of cheques, we were all giving our bank details away to stangers whenever we wrote a cheque.

There's no scam in that respect.   PP, yes ... but they're not involved.

The only thing i would say to anyone coming to your house to pick up pricey equipment, is that you will only let one person into your home. If they turn up with more than one, they stay outside in the car.

• Like 1

Personally, I have very good experience with responding kindly, politely and with humour, pointing out to them that there's a worrying pattern, and asking them to see it from my side if they can.

IME, genuine customers will see and admit this, and do something reassuring. YMMV.

• Like 2

It's not a good idea to accept full payment through PayPal when items are collected - best to make sure you have proper signed proof of collection.

There are a number of cases of people getting scammed by the buyer reporting the item as not received and getting refunded. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I wouldn’t accept PayPal from anyone off of gumtree, only cash ,and I certainly wouldn’t give my bank details to anyone,  cash on collection is the safest way and minimal risk of a scam .

I totally agree about PayPal, though if you paid someone by cheque then they'd see your bank details; sort code, account number and account name. I don't believe anyone can do anything with just those. I've sold a lot of things on Bumtree, including some quite expensive items, and always advertise cash on collection only. I always make sure I'm not at home on my own when they call, I never let them see anything else that I may have; MacBook etc, whatever I'm selling is set up downstairs. You just have to be careful. On the whole everyone I've encountered through there has been fine, though I did almost fall for a scam a few months ago when I was selling a pair of Genelec monitors,  I posted on here about it at the time. At the end of the day, if you're unsure then just walk away, someone else will no doubt be interested. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ambient said:

I totally agree about PayPal, though if you paid someone by cheque then they'd see your bank details; sort code, account number and account name. I don't believe anyone can do anything with just those. I've sold a lot of things on Bumtree, including some quite expensive items, and always advertise cash on collection only. I always make sure I'm not at home on my own when they call, I never let them see anything else that I may have; MacBook etc, whatever I'm selling is set up downstairs. You just have to be careful. On the whole everyone I've encountered through there has been fine, though I did almost fall for a scam a few months ago when I was selling a pair of Genelec monitors,  I posted on here about it at the time. At the end of the day, if you're unsure then just walk away, someone else will no doubt be interested. 

Spot on  ambient. I did exactly the same as you when I sold my us jazz a while back, I set an old practice amp up in the dining room and closed all the other doors so everything was out of sight   ie laptops , iPads , tv  etc .   I think most people are genuine buyers but for me ,   no cash, no goods  .       It was @fleabag who educated me on the way you could be scammed by PayPal  (thanks ).  That’s why threads like this I think  can be helpful to us all 😀

• Like 2

Something else to remember before anyone even walks through the door; when you’re taking photos of whatever is for sale, make sure nothing expensive is visible. I know we’re all proud of our nice instruments, but let’s not show them off to every crook and scammer.

• Like 1

Buying and selling has become a bit of a minefield. The Warwick i picked up a couple of weeks ago was local collection but the seller wanted me to buy on ebay and  pay through Paypal even though I offered cash on collection. He was really reluctant to give me his address, wanting me to make the payment first. In my head I was thinking he'll then claim I've had the bass (and not give me it)and I'm sure he was thinking if he gives me his address prior to payment I'll just go round and steal it ! We sorted it out in the end and when we met got on really well and talked about basses for ages. But the suspicion of being scammed on both sides almost ruined a brilliant deal.Not every one is out to scam you but caution is definitely the name of the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ambient said:

Something else to remember before anyone even walks through the door; when you’re taking photos of whatever is for sale, make sure nothing expensive is visible. I know we’re all proud of our nice instruments, but let’s not show them off to every crook and scammer.

I always sell musical equipment at my mums as she doesn't have the aladdins cave of basses and guitars that is my living room.

Edited by edstraker123
  • Like 1

Having taken on board the advice of the crack Basschat legal team 😁 and a text or two, I have come to the conclusion that the guy isn`t a scammer trying to rob me of my immense wealth and property, he just seems to do things in a more "relaxed" manner than myself. It`s not how I would conduct myself in a sale/buying situation but we are all different.

I will hold the bass for him unless someone comes along before him and offers me the cash which I will grab with my sweaty mitts!

Lets remember what the wise Sargent said....

download.jpg.2467370b729836b2a54bee71b2613efd.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Having taken on board the advice of the crack Basschat legal team 😁 and a text or two, I have come to the conclusion that the guy isn`t a scammer trying to rob me of my immense wealth and property, he just seems to do things in a more "relaxed" manner than myself. It`s not how I would conduct myself in a sale/buying situation but we are all different.

I will hold the bass for him unless someone comes along before him and offers me the cash which I will grab with my sweaty mitts!

Lets remember what the wise Sargent said....

download.jpg.2467370b729836b2a54bee71b2613efd.jpg

Sergeant Phill , hill street blues ,  I’m sure all will be fine jezzaboy 👍

• Like 1

Just now, Drax said:

What's the deal with avoiding Paypal on Gumtree sales though?

It's not just Gumtree. if someone pays you using PayPal then you need to prove that you've sent the item, and that they've received it. Most Gumtree sales are local or local collection. If they pay using PayPal and then either collect it or have the item collected then there's no proof. They then claim you haven't sent it; which you obviously haven't because they collected it, so they get their money back.

8 minutes ago, ambient said:

It's not just Gumtree. if someone pays you using PayPal then you need to prove that you've sent the item, and that they've received it. Most Gumtree sales are local or local collection. If they pay using PayPal and then either collect it or have the item collected then there's no proof. They then claim you haven't sent it; which you obviously haven't because they collected it, so they get their money back.

Interesting - thanks, was unaware of that.

That said - think almost everything I've bought and sold on BC has been through Paypal.. and not all 'signed for' deliveries.. Guess it's a more trusting environment here.. 

Edited by Drax

If it's a scam: Next thing he will be saying he can't make it but will arrange a courier. You will feel obliged because you have taken £20 from him. You receive a bank transfer beforehand, but a week after the bass has gone, it is reversed.

Variants exist of course.

From his point of view, he wants to buy the bass, so will have a bundle of cash on him, but you want to meet somewhere thats not your house, and drive him somewhere he doesnt know where hes going or who with - so he could be feeling the same?

As well as that - I wouldnt take a deposit to be honest - youve no proof what that £20 is for.

Id just say its a case of first come first served. He can wait as long as he likes but if it sells in the meantime, its their loss.

I tend to feel the differently whether im buying or selling nowadays.

Edited by la bam

12 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

If it's a scam: Next thing he will be saying he can't make it but will arrange a courier. You will feel obliged because you have taken £20 from him. You receive a bank transfer beforehand, but a week after the bass has gone, it is reversed.

Variants exist of course.

Can you reverse a bank transfer?