Why become a member? ×

Audition nerves

mrtcat

Sitting in a coffee shop on a Friday morning waiting to go to an audition at 11am for a really great and busy band. Pretty sure they'll be seeing loads of really great bass players so not getting my hopes up too much. If i did get it I'd be able to pretty much go down to just a couple of days a week in my day job.

I feel well prepared and if I don't get it I'm already in a really good band with plenty of gigs but I'll admit I'm pretty nervous. 

One way or another I'm going to enjoy it and regardless of outcome I'll have a few beers tonight.

Wish me luck. 

• Like 1

Nerves can be calmed, to a certain extent, by focusing on the process rather than the outcome. If, as you say, you are well prepared then focus on that fact rather than what might happen. Do what you know you can do, play the way you play and be friendly. After that its apples and oranges.

• Like 1

My band auditioned 3 drummers yesterday. One of them was clearly bricking it, but as I said to him, the worst that can happen is that he gets the 'Dear John' phone call the next day.

To quote Brian Eno: In music, you can crash and burn and walk away.

• Like 1

Thanks all. It went pretty well I think. No obvious mistakes and I got on really well with the band. I also knew everything on their set list, above the 5 songs they'd chosen for me to do, and let them pick some at random so they could see I knew it. All gear functioned flawlessly and I showed I'm really comfortable using in ears.

They had over 70 applications so I won't be holding my breath but at least I didn't let myself down in any way. 

Aaaaaand breathe 🙂

• Like 9

4 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Thanks all. It went pretty well I think. No obvious mistakes and I got on really well with the band. I also knew everything on their set list, above the 5 songs they'd chosen for me to do, and let them pick some at random so they could see I knew it. All gear functioned flawlessly and I showed I'm really comfortable using in ears.

They had over 70 applications so I won't be holding my breath but at least I didn't let myself down in any way. 

Aaaaaand breathe 🙂

70 - far canal!

I have this in a week or so's time but as I keep telling myself, joining a band is a two way thing and you are auditioning them too! To make a band that works needs so many different stars to align that if you don't get the gig it's to be expected in many way - getting the gig is a bit of a miracle! :)

Good luck!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

And none of those are BC members..? How odd..! o.O

There's every chance that quite a few of them are BC members. As far as I'm aware, the departing player visits the forum on occasion but I don't know who he is.

1 hour ago, lowdowner said:

I have this in a week or so's time but as I keep telling myself, joining a band is a two way thing and you are auditioning them too! To make a band that works needs so many different stars to align that if you don't get the gig it's to be expected in many way - getting the gig is a bit of a miracle! :)

Good luck!

Absolutely, I think the odds in this instance are stacked against me but nothing ventured nothing gained and someone has to get it.

My wife asked me "if you get offered the position will you take it?". I definitely would in this instance but I've also done auditions where I have turned down the offer.

4 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Absolutely, I think the odds in this instance are stacked against me but nothing ventured nothing gained and someone has to get it.

My wife asked me "if you get offered the position will you take it?". I definitely would in this instance but I've also done auditions where I have turned down the offer.

I do a lot of home work and ask a lot of questions before I audition.

I never audition unless I really want to be in the band. So, I would never turn down an offer.

Why would you turn down an offer, didn't really want to be in the band, found out things about the band after the audition that made you turn down the offer?

Blue

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Why would you turn down an offer, didn't really want to be in the band, found out things about the band after the audition that made you turn down the offer?

I would say the obvious thing was not getting on with them at the audition, or seeing something in them you know would be a problem. Or even finding out they are not as good as you thought they were.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would say the obvious thing was not getting on with them at the audition, or seeing something in them you know would be a problem. Or even finding out they are not as good as you thought they were.

Yeah, I guess there are somethings you can't cover with questions.

I remember auditioning for a band once and I could tell from they're personalities they'd never leave the basement.

Blue