Why become a member? ×

NAME THAT DISORDER

grandad

4 hours ago, grandad said:

I watched Cliff Richard on the Oneshow last night. 78 and still performing! There must be a name for the compulsion to keep on performing and not gracefully retire. I do have friends who seem to need the adulation from performing. They just can't stop, it's something akin to attention seeking. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Performing, I much prefer to stand/sit at the back and I enjoy that supporting role.

Rampant insecurity? 

4 hours ago, grandad said:

I watched Cliff Richard on the Oneshow last night. 78 and still performing! There must be a name for the compulsion to keep on performing and not gracefully retire. I do have friends who seem to need the adulation from performing. They just can't stop, it's something akin to attention seeking. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Performing, I much prefer to stand/sit at the back and I enjoy that supporting role.

He still seems to be able fill large concert halls with fans and still puts on a great show - which means it's also probably financially beneficial as well.

I know a number of people who were fans of Cliff in the 60s and still are (paricularly women) - I suppose the difference between them and say fans of, for instance, Paul Weller is they're 15 + yrs older (original punk fans are probably late 50s early 60s age now so hardly in their youth! That's not to say these elderly acts don't have appeal to broader age groups as well! 

So if there's a syndrome it's elderlypoprocksoulmusicitis.... 

Probably applies to a decent proportion of devotees of rock, prog etc etc etc....

On 23/11/2018 at 09:59, operative451 said:

'RollingStone Syndrome'?

I saw the Stones earlier this year. It was a great combination of the kind of enormous venue that I hate with a band who I thought should have retired thirty years ago.

They were incredible. A superb setlist with just enough hits for the casual fans and just enough deep cuts for the purists. Jagger can still sing (and move like he still owns the stage) and the band played brilliantly. I was blown away.

Having seen a few "heritage acts" in the last few years (including Mott The Hoople and Neil Young) 'phone in lacklustre shows, I was expecting the worst. But the Stones delivered.

I guess it depends on the artist - I've not seen Sir Cliff recently, but as long as he can still do it and people enjoy what he does, then more power to his (tennis) elbow. 10cc are still on the road and are still worth seeing, in spite of a rather "triggers broom" approach to band members. Bill Nelson's rare live shows are still stunning. Not quite in that bracket, but I saw The Posies and Colin Moulding of XTC play two of the best shows I have seen for ages recently and they have been playing since the 70's and 80's.

Edited by rushbo

21 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Talent, business and broad appeal? 

I made no comment on his talent - the question was why he still performs.

It is widely accepted that most front line performers ie singers, lead guitarists and even stand up comedians are generally pretty insecure. Audience adoration helps counteract this. 

Grace Slick called it the other way: 

"Following the Jefferson Airplane reunion, Slick retired from the music business. During a 1998 interview with VH1 on a Behind the Music documentary featuring Jefferson Airplane, Slick, who was never shy about the idea of getting old, said that the main reason she retired from the music business was, "All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire." In a 2007 interview, she repeated her belief that, "You can do jazz, classical, blues, opera, country until you're 150, but rap and rock and roll are really a way for young people to get that anger out", and, "It's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have." " (Wikipedia)

I wonder if it's still different for older women? Although Elkie Brooks is still touring and has a great voice and stage presence at 70. 

But four 50th anniversary tours in the last year or so - Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fairport Convention - all men. 

Interesting perspective, Josie. Grace Slick is one of my favourite vocalists ever, but I don't really agree with her view on that. I think you can go on playing music(of any sort) for as long as you still enjoy it and can bring pleasure to others. 

Suzi Quattro anyone? She's not exactly ancient, but still rocking out. There must be other examples..I'll have to have a think...

[Long-winded old-man alert!]
Reading this may alter your mind.

"Retirement" is only a modern-day phenomenon. We've forgotten that in past centuries, people never retired. They belonged to guilds as shoemakers and blacksmiths, ...etc. When they became old and feeble, they simply cut back until they could no longer pass muster and hopefully, they were wise enough to save for their twilight years. Or successful enough for apprentices to take up the slack.

Perhaps retirement was born as a military contractual benefit, to entice men to join such a thing. But, everyone else couldn't just stop working and "retire", as their work, proprietary profession and business was certainly their only means of livelihood. No cushy pension schemes.

Life was short and brutal. Most people dropped dead on the job, before they could worry much about "retirement". You bopped till you dropped. 

Today, most of us work as employees for corps and gov't. Retirement schemes abound. Even doctors and lawyers are salaried, now. Of course, it's a ponzie scheme waiting to collapse as demographics invert. Hence, the big push for immigration. Soon, we'll all witness abrubt and impending retirement upheavals and the fallout of lowered expectations.

If you can still command an audience, carry on. Back in the 1980s I watched Peter Noone (aged 71) performing Hermin's Hermits songs for twenty-five people in an open-air park at the CNE fair in Toronto. While sitting on a park bench, I had to wonder how this could be. But I was still young. You're all in for a surprise at 52. That's when you find out how stupid you really are. Things get better after that. By the way, he's still performing.   

I'm 64 and have long moonlighted as a BP. I have no intention of working the careers that I chose to raise a family and earn a living. But last week I joined a bar band. Why? Because bass playing is my passion. Knocking those four strings about makes me feel like I'm flying. I know that I'm a denizen of the far tail on the BP bell curve and can shake a dance-floor better than most. So why not? (I'd rather recline, drink coffee and watch House MD, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Law & Order and Tommy Cooper; but I seen 'em already. Besides, the actors are really the ones having all the fun. A bar band provides human interaction on a grand scale.) 

Why is age a factor? Is it youth that is the real commodity? Do you go to a concert to see youth or hear music? Dancer or lurker? That's the part that makes no sense. Mass youth was simply a property of the post-war baby-boom. It's not a religion. Why would anyone seek after a youthful face when they really just want musical entertainment. It's not a romp in a cat-house. It's only entertainment for bar hoppers and pub punters to immerse themselves in a joyful noise and dimness so they feel more secure as they seek a buzz or a mate or give the baggage a good shake in public.   

Those who like music based on the Fender bass have grown-up and aged. But they still like this music. Look at the Stones. Look at their audience. The sixties was not just a youth rebellion. Most of us were not rebelling. We just liked to hear the drum kits, the Fender basses, the 'lectric guitars, and the vocalists with colourful voices and magical, meaningful lyrics.    

Trump is 71. Merkle is ? McCartney? Richards? I'd bet that even Elvis would still be gyrating today at 83. Why do they do it, the OP asks?

Because there is a public need...
Because passion rivals money...
Because they can... and they're good at it!

Satisfaction trumps waiting to die. Live the life you love... till it's time to die.

Let's not call it a disorder. It's a blessing.

Edited by StringNavigator
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, StringNavigator said:

I'm 64 and have long moonlighted as a BP. I have no intention of working the careers that I chose to raise a family and earn a living. But last week I joined a bar band. Why? Because bass playing is my passion. Knocking those four strings about makes me feel like I'm flying.

Satisfaction trumps waiting to die. Live the life you love... till it's time to die.

Let's not call it a disorder. It's a blessing.

There's an interesting point here imho. The op, and most of the discussion, is about musicians who have been good and successful all their lives - indeed, why should they stop if they're still good and successful? 

But @StringNavigator is talking about the joy of coming to it late, or at least taking it up seriously late, and finding that it still flies. 

In my case - as said before on other threads - I wanted more than anything to play bass when I was 14, and my mother beat it into my head that I never could. For 45 years I would go to gigs and glue my eyes and ears to the bass player and go home and cry because I wanted to play bass and I knew I never would. It wasn't until I was about to turn 60 that on one of those nights instead of crying I got angry - life is too short not to do the things you really want to! - and went out the next day and bought a guitar and soon after my first bass. 

Thursday night I played a fairly high standard local blues jam. The three other bass players there were all very experienced, semi-pro and much better than me. But dâmn it, for 20 minutes I pretty much nailed some simple but adequate basslines at high speed and high volume to a packed (small - maybe 70 people?) and very appreciative popular local music venue. Joy. 

I'm re-training at my own expense for a new career in mental health care, and I'm seriously looking forward to at least ten years work (I hope) doing that, but to be honest if I was to be offered the choice between that and ten years in a real gigging band I'd choose the band. 

I wrote a song for my first bass -

I was drifting through life like I'd lost my way / Had no original words to say / Road was empty and the sky was grey / Praying Lord, get me home tonight

I was drifting through daytimes, not even trying / Long bitter nights of drinking and crying / Cursing myself for wasting my time / Praying Lord, let me sleep at night 

Now I'm playing 12 bar blues on a 5 string bass / Finally know I've found my place / Electric adrenaline, state of grace / Singing Lord, let me play all night 

Blessing 🙂 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, josie said:

...I was drifting through life like I'd lost my way / Had no original words to say / Road was empty and the sky was grey / Praying Lord, get me home tonight

I was drifting through daytimes, not even trying / Long bitter nights of drinking and crying / Cursing myself for wasting my time / Praying Lord, let me sleep at night 

Now I'm playing 12 bar blues on a 5 string bass / Finally know I've found my place / Electric adrenaline, state of grace / Singing Lord, let me play all night ...

zZToY75.gif

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, josie said:

I was drifting through life like I'd lost my way / Had no original words to say / Road was empty and the sky was grey / Praying Lord, get me home tonight

Now I'm playing 12 bar blues on a 5 string bass / Finally know I've found my place / Electric adrenaline, state of grace / Singing Lord, let me play all night 

That's a tasty set of lyrics. Nice work, Josie :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, josie said:

"Following the Jefferson Airplane reunion, Slick retired from the music business. During a 1998 interview with VH1 on a Behind the Music documentary featuring Jefferson Airplane, Slick, who was never shy about the idea of getting old, said that the main reason she retired from the music business was, "All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire." In a 2007 interview, she repeated her belief that, "You can do jazz, classical, blues, opera, country until you're 150, but rap and rock and roll are really a way for young people to get that anger out", and, "It's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have." " (Wikipedia)

I wonder if it's still different for older women? Although Elkie Brooks is still touring and has a great voice and stage presence at 70. 

But four 50th anniversary tours in the last year or so - Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fairport Convention - all men. 

The difference being JA stopped recording material back in the Stone Age whereas Cliff is still recording, so his stuff is relevant to his current feelings. Also he has not been a Rock  singer since the late 50s  so no anger needed.

Here's a little factoid about Cliff.

In his life he has made ...

45 studio albums
11 live albums
15 compilation albums
146 singles
7 soundtrack albums
46 EPs.

and do you know what ? NOT ONE GOOD 'EFFIN SONG!!

NOT ONE!

Not one decent song among that cavalcade of bollockydogwank. I respect him for that. It takes some doing. It's like choosing the numbers "1,2,3,4,5 and 6" for your lottery numbers and "7,8,9,10,11, and 12" being the winning numbers.

56 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

45 studio albums
11 live albums
15 compilation albums
146 singles
7 soundtrack albums
46 EPs.

NOT ONE!

Not one decent song among that cavalcade of bollockydogwank. I respect him for that. It takes some doing. It's like choosing the numbers "1,2,3,4,5 and 6" for your lottery numbers and "7,8,9,10,11, and 12" being the winning numbers.

Though his £70m net worth is a bit more than your average lottery win. Looks like his numbers were better than the winning numbers...

21 hours ago, josie said:

I've seen Robin Trower a few times in recent years and watching this old, grey bloke come on stage and then proceed to melt your face with his guitar work is a wonderful thing to behold, especially since I'm not that far behind him in years.If people want to pay to watch you do your thing, I couldn't care less how old you are.

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

45 studio albums
11 live albums
15 compilation albums
146 singles
7 soundtrack albums
46 EPs.

NOT ONE!

Not one decent song among that cavalcade of bollockydogwank. I respect him for that. It takes some doing...........

Have you checked out my soundcloud account ? I think you’ll find that I will offer some decent competition , though I started a bit later than Cliff ¬¬