Why become a member? ×

NAME THAT DISORDER

grandad

I watched Cliff Richard on the Oneshow last night. 78 and still performing! There must be a name for the compulsion to keep on performing and not gracefully retire. I do have friends who seem to need the adulation from performing. They just can't stop, it's something akin to attention seeking. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Performing, I much prefer to stand/sit at the back and I enjoy that supporting role.

I dont have much time for Cliff's music, he was a late 50s/60s artist to me, but to suggest someone should stop doing something they love seems strange. If what he was doing was important to well being in any way (Yes I know ) then yes, give it up, but its just music and if he and the audience enjoy it then why not?  Its his job after all. My old man loved his work as a carpenter and did his job till he was 76, not cos he was desperate for the money but because he loved it.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, super al said:

Confession time - I actually like the 2 tunes I've heard from his new album, I wouldn't go and buy it but I don't hate it.

Do I have to cancel my Basschat membership now or will there be a period of 'cooling off'?

If you go on to say that you like Peri Como, Andy Williams and Jack Jones then a recommendation might have to be put to admins to review your membership. 😄

As has been said already, if someone enjoys what they do why not carry on. Donald Sutherland has just played a major role in 'Trust' on't tele aged 83. Did a damn good job too. 

• Haha 1

My late wife was a Cliff fan and I took her to see him some 20ish years ago. Like him or not, it was a superb performance, fautless. He has made a very good career for himself in show-business.

As a teenager in the late 50's/60's he was the British Elvis and along with The Shadows helped kick off our music in black and white on the new TV pop music shows once a week.

Who'd have thought then that he'd still be around now making music to a very loyal mostly geriatric fan-base.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grandad said:

I wasn't suggesting that he or anyone should give up something they enjoy, it's just that I'm intrigued when I observe it as I don't seem to have this need.

Is it a need though, or simply enjoyment in doing something? Physically draining pursuits would be too much for people in their 70s but singing is hardly one of them. Perhaps he is not int golf or lawn bowls and would rather spend his time singing and recording, sounds like a good trade off to me. I dont think it has to be a need, it might simply be a way to fill in his time.

Another perspective: a good friend and fellow BassChatter was Alvin Stardust's bass player for a number of years. I don't doubt that Alvin enjoyed what he did, but the primary motivation was apparently financial. He didn't write his own songs so didn't benefit from royalties. I believe there were other factors at work too but all the same...

Not sure how many of his songs Cliff writes, but could be a factor.

I watched the documentary on The Damned (Don't you wish we were dead) last night. It was a combination of all the usual reasons that musos keep going.

Financial necessity plays a big part, especially if they have been ripped off by the record company, management or other band members. But the main thing that came over from them was what else could they do?

There's no way Captain Sensible could have retired at 50 and done a regular job. 

41 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I saw Cliff when he headlined Wembley Stadium. Cracking gig. He is of the generation who put on a show and entertain  the audience.

In reply to the OP, IMO it is because for some people being a musician/performer is not what they do, it's what they are.

Yes I think you're right. I'd put Brucie & Doddy there.

Edited by grandad
grammar

6 minutes ago, ambient said:

It's what keeps him going; he loves it.

Same reason most on here will travel 60 miles to a gig on a Saturday, spend 2 hours setting up, play for 3 hours, spend another hour breaking down, then drive home, and maybe get £30.

Methinks my commitment has waned.

4 hours ago, mikel said:

I dont have much time for Cliff's music, he was a late 50s/60s artist to me, but to suggest someone should stop doing something they love seems strange. If what he was doing was important to well being in any way (Yes I know ) then yes, give it up, but its just music and if he and the audience enjoy it then why not?  Its his job after all. My old man loved his work as a carpenter and did his job till he was 76, not cos he was desperate for the money but because he loved it.

I agree. I think it was Mick Jagger who replied, when asked when the Stones would 'act their age' and retire, 'Has anyone asked Muddy Waters that?'