Why become a member? ×

If I wasn't mad on.... I think I'd try...

Billy Apple

Impeccable construction, fanned frets were no real problem, lightweight and well balanced, looked very nice, but couldn't get a sound out of my ABZ4 that I liked. Maybe that was down to it being the passive version. Also found the slanted pickups left me nowehere comfortable to play - but that's mostly muscle memory I guess, I maybe would have persevered if I'd liked the sound. Try one though - you may like it... or not :D

• Thanks 1

Had a combustion (active). Fantastic neck, liked the fan frets, in all honestly maybe 37" is a bit much on the bottom string, but it never caused me an issue, tension is great, looked gorgeous.

Wasn't keen on the sound (it had had its pickups changed to other dingwall pickups due to them being early or something) but enjoyed playing it. Took it to an audition, played the songs, they said they liked my playing but weren't keen on the sound and could I change it. Took out my backup cricket bat b2 out, played the songs again, got the gig. Went home, came on here that night, put it up for sale, traded it for an Ibanez 1605, which some would say was a bad deal. 3 years on the ibby its still my main bass.

It was still the nicest neck to play though, maybe one day when I have some money or find one cheap I might get one and put some other pickups on it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Had a combustion (active). Fantastic neck, liked the fan frets, in all honestly maybe 37" is a bit much on the bottom string, but it never caused me an issue, tension is great, looked gorgeous.

Wasn't keen on the sound (it had had its pickups changed to other dingwall pickups due to them being early or something) but enjoyed playing it. Took it to an audition, played the songs, they said they liked my playing but weren't keen on the sound and could I change it. Took out my backup cricket bat b2 out, played the songs again, got the gig. Went home, came on here that night, put it up for sale, traded it for an Ibanez 1605, which some would say was a bad deal. 3 years on the ibby its still my main bass.

It was still the nicest neck to play though, maybe one day when I have some money or find one cheap I might get one and put some other pickups on it.

What was up with the sound, could you sum it up?

7 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

What was up with the sound, could you sum it up?

Sadly that is really hard, and obviously it is very subjective, one persons good sound is anothers awful.

Objectively it was good, It was very well balanced between strings, and didn't have bad overtones, the sound was fairly pure. All I could describe it as was a very polite, almost synthetic sound - if you wanted to blend into a background mix in a big band it would be perfect I guess, but I was in a 'power trio'. It didn't growl or project at all. 

I guess the real damning thing from my point of view, the sound it made is the same as the sound my Roland DS makes in 'bass guitar' preset.

• Thanks 1

I had a Combustion, didn’t get along with it due to the sound and the long scale length. Traded it up for a Super J and found “it”. Then bought a matching Super P, swapped in Sadowsky preamps, and I have the two best fivers I’ve ever had, and amongst the two best I’ve ever played. 

0B6009A0-E373-4CA5-896A-D8549186B448.jpeg

• Like 1

I've owned a Super P and Super P/J, both were superbly built and extremely comfortable on the shoulder. Loved the fanned frets and after initial trepidation, was delighted to find that they just felt right and natural. 

The P/J in particular was a spectacular instrument, it was built for the Namm show and was the one featured in BGM a few years back.

The only problem and this was really more down to my technique, was that when using a plectrum, the pickup angle and positioning made it difficult to play in my usual style. When playing finger style or with thumb it wasn't an issue and perhaps with some adjusting of my technique, I could have overcome the problem. 

Also, I always made it sound like a P bass and so, given that I've pretty much always played P bass style instruments, I just decided to stick with Fender and G&L, which suit my pick technique.  Couldn't just have them sitting around for home noodling so they were sold. 

On 23/11/2018 at 07:47, Woodinblack said:

Sadly that is really hard, and obviously it is very subjective, one persons good sound is anothers awful.

Objectively it was good, It was very well balanced between strings, and didn't have bad overtones, the sound was fairly pure. All I could describe it as was a very polite, almost synthetic sound - if you wanted to blend into a background mix in a big band it would be perfect I guess, but I was in a 'power trio'. It didn't growl or project at all. 

I guess the real damning thing from my point of view, the sound it made is the same as the sound my Roland DS makes in 'bass guitar' preset.

I wonder if this would be solved by the Darkglass pre they are now putting in?

On 23/11/2018 at 07:47, Woodinblack said:

I've not liked the sound of any Dingwall I've played - very comfortable, extremely good build quality - but the tone has left me cold - just sounded cold and dull to my ears, I like a more "lively" tone

Though I've never gigged one, so not played one in a full mix

I tried an NG2 thru headphones at a trade show and LOVED it - sounded awesome!

A couple of months later I ordered one. Got it now, it looks fabulous and the fan frets are no problem....
I just can't get THE sound I want out of it through an amp though..... :(
As soon as I put it down and pick up my Spector I'm back in my happy place. There's THE sound that that oozes authority, clarity and grind....!
I also find the Dingwall bridge uncomfortable when playing with a pick - a little sharp...

YMMV

I had 2. An ABZ 6 and an AB1 6. Both lovely. Great construction and the fan frets were fine but, I did find them a little more tricky past the 12th fret and I know, you shouldn't be playing up the dusty end ;) I also found them difficult for any chord work as well. They were / are super light weight and look amazing but I thought the sound was a little "flat" for my liking. I wish they'd make a straight fretted version though, I'd buy that. The fan fret was a fun thing for me and I'm glad I tried it though maybe, I should have started with a 2nd hand model instead of diving in at the top end 😂

I love my ABZ4 (still), tho it's not quite standard - I put one of the Dingwall P-Tone pickups in the neck position and a John East U-Retro preamp in - this last more to be consistent with my other basses, all of which have the East pre in, but it really works with the bass..

It can growl like a growly thing which is particularly upset about something... 😀

Build quality, resonance and evenness of tone are better than anything I've owned (and I've owned a LOT of basses) with the possible exception of my Shukers, and the weight (7lb 6oz) is a joy. I play with a pick a lot, and I've never noticed any issues. The neck is a lot bigger than I'd normally go for (I like a slim Jazz width neck) but the whole fan fret thing seems to make it hard to notice. Oh, and it holds a detune like nowt else, too: just for fun, I dropped it to C last week with the standard gauge strings on it, and it was barely noticeable (and I like a higher tension, too).

As an aside (although related to the chaps above who think they sound a bit sterile) I owned and moved on two Overwaters for exactly that reason...

I have a NG2 and shortly will have a NG3 on order. Honestly for me it's the best bass I've owned. The build quality feels exceptional, it's unbelievably light, the neck is gorgeous and for me the dingwall PUs plus the darkglass pre are everything I've wanted tonally. It is such a responsive bass. I put this thing through a DG alpha omega and super symmetry and it just sounds perfect for me with pick and with fingers.

But then again, I play in a mathcore band and want a very grindy, distorted and heavy sound, so I can imagine this wouldn't be at home in other types of music. For me though, it's perf. :)

I play a Super PZ5 and it's fantastic. It sounds like a P, feels and plays great and the neck is very comfortable for me. The Combustion/NG 5 string neck is also wonderful. I moved from a Lakland JO5 and the Ding was lighter and more comfortable and a perfect fit for my and my limited abilities.

I'd love to try a Spector Euro XL (likely tuned to BEAD) out at some gigs and there is one on here in the FS section I like the look of but I'm not in a position to buy and my trade offer got rejected (single tear). I always imagine they would be too bright and zingy in the top end but still always kinda liked the style of them.

If I weren't Bass Collection'ed up (ridiculously good value)....I'd think about saving up my money for a Sandberg.

Or maybe saving up somebody else's money as well and put it all towards having that Mr. Cringean build me a bass.

I tried Dingwalls at the last two Bass Guitar Shows and although I realise that it wasn't ever going to be the best conditions for a test...I didn't like anything about them. And when I heard somebody else playing one...I didn't like that, either.

Edited by mangotango

6 minutes ago, mangotango said:

If I weren't Bass Collection'ed up (ridiculously good value)....I'd think about saving up my money for a Sandberg.

Or maybe saving up somebody else's money as well and put it all towards having that Mr. Cringean build me a bass.

I tried Dingwalls at the last two Bass Guitar Shows and although I realise that it wasn't ever going to be the best conditions for a test...I didn't like anything about them. And when I heard somebody else playing one...I didn't like that, either.

IMHO Alan’s basses are worth every penny.... twice over

16 minutes ago, mangotango said:

+1 on the Sandberg front. I feel like I'm well-covered for Precision and P/J tones with my Schecter and my Brandoni kit-build...but if I ever found them lacking, I'd probably go back to eyeing up some of those tasty-looking VM4s.

God help me, even as I type this there's a little voice at the back of my mind saying, "yeah, but you don't have one with a reverse P-pickup, do you?"

• Haha 1