Why become a member? ×

Thomann bass

Quilly

Any Opinions on the Thomann 'own brand' plywood 3/4 bass.  I see one going cheap second hand and I considering taking a punt on it. I've 30 years electric bass guitar playing under my belt and would like to give it a go. Its unlikely I'll be any where near good enough to gig, for a while anyway.... but I dont want to be put off by a terrible instrument either. Is it 'good enough' to learn on?   

I had one. Cost about 500 quid new from them about 6 or 7 years ago ish. I loved it..although as it was my first DB I had nothing to compare it to.

Sounded great to me. You will need to change the strings as the ones it comes with are awful. 

I had to sell mine a few years back...i still miss her 😔 

I should add that I used mine for rockabilly/ roots music so lots of piz n slapping..non of that silly bowing lark 😁

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I had one. Cost about 500 quid new from them about 6 or 7 years ago ish. I loved it..although as it was my first DB I had nothing to compare it to.

Sounded great to me. You will need to change the strings as the ones it comes with are awful. 

I had to sell mine a few years back...i still miss her 😔 

I should add that I used mine for rockabilly/ roots music so lots of piz n slapping..non of that silly bowing lark 😁

I just want something I can try and learn on, so long as it sounds reasonably good and the actions not crazy high id be happy...wont be using the bow much I reckon. 

• Thanks 1

I think the Thomann stuff is much better than the Gear4Music stuff and a lot of the stuff on EBay etc. I had a cheapy Chinese plywood job and upgraded to the midrange Thomann Czech blonde bass which was a real step up. It's more than good enough for me. I'm sure that the entry level stuff will be equally fine from what I have read.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

+1 Just go for it .

I bought a Thomann 111E BR ( the cheapest of the range ) 6 years ago to learn on and it has been fine .
I'm posting these pics again because last time Bilbo laughed at the price ; it cost £322 new , delivered to my door ! ( No VAT in Jersey )

1449602400_111EBR34Front(Small).JPG.fa55a34073ac7b95e74c0f8268e0ddf1.JPG1791077691_111EBR34Back(Small).JPG.a946ac558028a43901c2f83aea9209cd.JPG

• Like 4

My fiancé bought me the flame version of the Rockabilly 3/4 DB as a present a few years ago.  Moving home has prevented me from playing it recently but after fitting new strings and putting in a piezo, I think it is a great instrument - especially for a DB learner like me.

• Like 1

Like you I have been playing bass guitar for years. I started playing upright about a year ago and decided on a rented instrument, obtained through a professional violin builder. The instrument cost €40 per month and after 9 months I had the option to buy with rent deducted (which I did). My instrument is Romanian built, all hard wood and was professionally set up with Thomastik strings.  My aim is to learn this instrument properly so I take instruction, I practice arco and pizz and you appreciate good strings and a good set-up particularly for bow work!

At the instructor's, the student instrument is a Thomann. It's just fine, has a nice action and  it's well maintained by the instructor but mine is far nicer in tone and play-ability. I think my advice is to set your aim and predict what instrument you want when you get closer.  If it's simple country / rockabilly slap then you probably won't need another instrument after the Thomann and you'll appreciate the low financial outlay, particularly when the scuff-marks and scratches appear! 

\ paul