Why become a member? ×

Looper pedals - advice please

Spaceman

I'm currently in the market for a loop pedal, primarily for home practice, and looking for some advice. Ideally I'd like something which can handle two instruments, so that I can loop a chord progression on guitar and play along on bass. As far as I can tell that rules out the boss rc-3, which is a shame as I think the built in drum samples would be helpful. The electro-harmonix 720 appears to do what I need, but doesn't have the drum samples of the rc-3. What do you use, and do you have any advice or further suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

This is going to sound rather obvious, but when I make loops I just swap the same lead over between bass and guitar. Usually the guitar goes though a multi fx pedal first which I take out of the signal chain for the bass, but it's really not much faff at all.

I can't really see a benefit in having two instrument inputs unless you want to record vocals at the same time you're playing, after all you can presumably only play one guitar at a time.

• Like 1

This ^^ , or...

I have one of these:

Zoom B1on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-B1on-Bass-Effects-Pedal/dp/B00JLEHMG6

I'm not certain, but this might give you what you want, and a bit more besides.

If you want to plug 2 instuments simultaneously, you could get one of these:

Y Splitter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-6-35mm-Socket-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B003OSTW9U/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1542894657&sr=1-3&keywords=guitar+y+splitter

I use a Jamman Stereo. It has some basic drums and can store 99 loops (more with memory card). It’s really good for practice.

For 2 instruments I’d do as @Cato said above, i.e. swap them out, or I’d get an ABY box.

Only downside I have is the Mac software to manage the loops is old and doesn’t work too well with the latest OS. Loop management on the pedal itself is fine.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I haven't used any loopers before and wasn't sure whether swapping the lead would be feasible. I suppose I'll just jump in with the looper first, and look at splitters if I find swapping a fuss - or play chords on bass! Cheers all.

• Like 2

I use a Boss RC30 which, if I'm honest, does a lot more than I really need it to.

The Zoom B1on (and the G1on) opened my eyes to the possibities of looping on bass and guitar but they only have 30 seconds of loop time which can be a bit restrictive. And of course they don't let you remove the layers that you c*ck up.

The ability to delete a layer that you are unhappy with is absolutely vital if you don't want to have to give up on something that you've spent some time and effort building up.

It's also nice to have the option of saving any loops that you're particularly pleased with or exporting them to a PC or laptop.

The drumbeat/metronome feature on many loopers is  invaluable for keeping things tight.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I’ve got an ABY splitter pedal at the front of my effects chain that has both a fretted and fretless bass plugged into it simultaneously. Just a click on the pedal and the input switches from one instrument to the other. Rapid changeover when looping. You could do it that way.

At the other end of my effects board is the looper. I use a Boss RC-300 multi-track looper, which itself has multiple inputs. So that too.

Edited by Fionn
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Everyone I've known that has bought avlooper pedal has never used it or bothered to learn how to use it.

Blue

It can be a very useful practice/song writing tool.

Once you've got the hang of it it's a quick and easy way of putting various parts together.

For practising it's a great way of quickly recording yourself then listening back so you can critique your performance. 

• Like 1