Why become a member? ×

Mac security warning

josie

Question

I've just clicked on a BC post (can't remember which one, sorry!) and instead got a page asking me to update my Adobe Flash Player. It looked genuine at first, so I followed it. I became suspicious when the name of the downloaded file didn't match the name on the page. Sophos detected it and cleaned it up. (See screenshot attached.) 

' "Bundlore" is an installer which bundles legitimate applications with offers for additional third party applications that may be unwanted by the user. Such third party applications are typically installed onto users’ computers by default, but may include an option to ‘opt-out’ during or after the installation process.' (Sophos website) 

It's the first time I've seen anything like this - not sure whether the bug is embedded in a BC post? If so it would be whatever I tried to look at at about 10:25 or 10:26 tonight. But thought you ought to know. 

Sophos_threat.thumb.jpg.f50441472c2b3f181dc754d5a7b7b85c.jpg

13 answers to this question

D'oh! Never update flash from anything other than Adobe.. it might mean you have a trojan on your computer that has infected your browser and points you towards malicious sites. Are you using Safari?

Give your computer a scan with Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.

• Thanks 1

Same as before, in BC/Off Topic, today at 15:40:

Adobe_scam.jpg.c799ab4bb23c642a241fb24a7d84011b.jpg

The back button on the browser took me to this:

Adobe_scam2.jpg.63900f7798526726caa4787fca76cfe8.jpg

The back button from there took me back to BC. Malbyteware and Sophos both say everything on the Mac is ok. It hasn't happened on any other sites, or in Firefox. Strange... I'll ask my IT people at work to have a look at it on Monday. 

Update: my IT guys confirm they can't find any problems with my Mac. It's still happening occasionally, only in Safari and only on BC/Off Topic. I've just installed the latest Safari update and hope that will fix it - I'll let you know either way. Thanks for your help! 

On 23/11/2018 at 16:50, josie said:

Same as before, in BC/Off Topic, today at 15:40:

Adobe_scam.jpg.c799ab4bb23c642a241fb24a7d84011b.jpg

That is not an Adobe Flash alert. The Adobe ones are on a black background.

As a stater, I suggest that you download and re-install Flash from the Adobe Website. If the problem persists and your IT guys can't find what is wrong on your Mac you might need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything to eradicate whatever is causing this.