Why become a member? ×

Fender American Performer Mustang Bass

NJE

59 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Annoying that they’ve plonked a jazz pickup in there - a single coil in a slightly larger strat style housing would work visually...

Other models (a jazz and a p/j)

95981CDE-7E19-44F7-9706-0BE978301776.jpeg

D9FC3AEF-DD76-437D-9730-B590E513D031.jpeg

Am I the only one that thinks black pickguards on light colour basses look absolutely awful? Jesus christ, I think those Seafoam/Blue PJ basses would look MUCH better with a white pearl pickguard.

• Like 2

My Mustang PJ beats my old 70s Mustang w. racing stripe because it gets deeper lows , thanks to the Precision pickup. The Jazz pickup makes it a little more of a two-pickup bass. A fatter Jazz pickup like a Quarter Pounder might be better. A extra fat Thunderbird pickup (or Stingray) back there would be nice. The big 105 E string probably helps the PJ sound good.

On 21/11/2018 at 22:31, NJE said:

Yeah I thought the same, why not stick something like a MusicMaster pickup in the bridge?

Yep. I thought that too, it's one of the reasons I'm not looking for the PJ Mustang. I'm actually suprised they haven't done either a Fender Bronco/Musicmaster bass or even better, a Duo-Sonic bass. They'd all use the same body and neck on all of them. 

On 22/11/2018 at 11:29, Jus Lukin said:

I prefer those Mustangs to the PJ version.

I wish Fender would just settle down a bit though. What would be so bad about putting out a good quality, classic Mustang bass?

Absolutely. I got excited then I saw these for a split second before my eyes realised there was something wrong with the control plate and extra pickup.

Nice option to have, but a standard USA Mustang would be ace. Damn.

I'll have to make do with my perfectly lovely MIJ Mustang instead.

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

81559507-B9AD-4067-B7B3-9016520F7C3F.jpeg

Yeah, that black pickguard makes no sense...also, what's up with the truss rod whole near the end of the neck? Will they finally implement the best truss rod adjusment system on all their basses? Or is it just a fake spot in the pickguard?

To give Fender a smidge of credit, they have tried something new-ish. The PJ Mustang seems to have done well and there is definitely a surge of interest in short scales. 

The feedback was probably that, a lot of mustang players obviously just want the classic pickup so they have tried to create something in the middle. The sad thing is that the J pickup just doesn’t balance that well with the mustang pickup. But what do I know, I actually really like the PJ mustang....

I think they could have tried a 51 single coil P pickup in the bridge or gone double mustang pickup even?

I can see why they haven’t gone for a full USA Mustang, I don’t think there is a market for it when there are so many excelled MIJ ones around and they offer a nitro finished vintage looking 66 style mustang in the JMJ signature model. That is a cool bass at a decent price point and in my previous experience the USA models aren’t a big enough leap in quality or options to warrant the cost.

If they were feeling super innovative they could have tried a mustang with modern tweaks like truss rod wheel adjustment, super light tuners, roasted neck cool colours, but would they have then got criticised for deviating too much from the classic formula?

All I know is I want a PJ Mustang or a JMJ but this offering is not for me.

On 22/11/2018 at 11:29, Jus Lukin said:

I wish Fender would just settle down a bit though. What would be so bad about putting out a good quality, classic Mustang bass?

They did a couple of years ago, so I bought one - MIJ FSR model.

fender-fsr-japan-mustang-bass-vintage-wh

Edited by JapanAxe