Why become a member? ×

Active cab link out as a DI?

itsmedunc

Just wondering if the cab link out on a BF800 or RCF 745 etc could be used as a DI? I've been using the DI out from an Ampeg SCR-DI to the PA for a straight bass sound but also use a mixer to blend a separate signal for effects, which when combined uses 2 channels on the desk. Is there any reason I couldn't use the RCF etc, link facility as a line level signal to the PA? Hence, only using one channel to the FOH desk? Hope this makes sense!

3 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

I've been using the DI out from an Ampeg SCR-DI to the PA for a straight bass sound but also use a mixer to blend a separate signal for effects, which when combined uses 2 channels on the desk.

I don't understand the setup.  Is the RCF a stage monitor? 

Untitled Diagram(3).png

why the DI? Surely the mixer should have a "line" or "mic" setting on the input, and if the XLR out from the cab link is line level and the desk is set appropriately it should be fine? Our guitarist uses a Line 6 Helix and the matching Line 6 FRFR powered monitor as a cab and we take a line level XLR out from the cab into our Yamaha PA to round out the sound a bit. Works for us.

• Like 2

Sorry I was a bit vague.

Bass to Ampeg SCR.  2 lines out of SCR, one straight to small mixer, one to effects then to small  mixer. It then goes from the small mixer to an Rcf or BF that I use as a monitor. Now, for both signals to go to front of house I've been using the DI out of the SCR for straight bass and a line from the effects. It works perfectly well but was wondering if, the signal that comes from the RCF link output is at line level?  If it was suitable, this would have both signals combined and so only one FOH channel would be used. Or, I could effectively use the link as a sort of DI? No need for a conventional DI or to mic an FRFR setup perhaps?

Thanks for the replies chaps 😁

In short... Yes it will work, and is a Good Idea, with the (slight...) drawback that the bloke on the FOH desk will no longer have control of mix between Fx and 'dry' bass. It may be needed in some venues, to get the best FOH sound. Other than that, go for it. :)

• Like 1

Nice one chaps. I couldn't see why it wouldn't work. After looking through numerous FRFR threads on different sites, nobody has really mentioned using it. It may have been mentioned in the FRFR thread here but it's enormous! It seems a good (and costless) way around DI's and mic's which i have seen mentioned quite a lot.   😀