Why become a member? ×

It's here! It's here! NBD!!

lowdowner

First new bass in many years and I'm chuffed!

Spector Euro LX4 DW (Doug Wimbush) in Amber. Great quality build, fantastic playable neck (and I'm digging the narrow nut) and a beautiful maple finish,

reminds me of a Warwick thumb in many ways, but more 'grungy' 

Oh, and the pups are *really* hot!

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :)

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, kyuuga said:

I've been gazing over a Spector EuroLX4 for a while now! Let me know how those are playability wise...and sound-wise obviously.

Also, what do you mean by "narrow" nut? They definitely don't look they have a narrow nut width.

I will.

As for the narrow nut - the Doug Wimbush signature model has a narrower nut than the usual Euro LX4, it's 1.5 inch rather than the usual 1.64 inch and it's noticeable (I like it)

Edited by lowdowner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, visog said:

reminds me of a Warwick thumb in many ways

No looks like a Streamer copy

Except the Spector NS-1 (which this shape duplicates more or less) was created 3 years earlier than the Streamer wasn't it? So the Streamer is the 'copy' if anything? Or do I have my dates wrong?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I like both Warwick and Spector basses altho my 89 Thumb bass has a far better feel than the Spectors i've played recently but the Spectors were not in the same price range ie over £2k new. 

I could def be tempted by yours tho.

Dave

Agreed about the price. I used to have a Thumb 4 string bolt-on and I really liked it but sold it when I fancied a change. The 4 string bolt on thumb is now £3250 whereas the Spector is £2000 (they are list prices of course!) 

33 minutes ago, lowdowner said:

Agreed about the price. I used to have a Thumb 4 string bolt-on and I really liked it but sold it when I fancied a change. The 4 string bolt on thumb is now £3250 whereas the Spector is £2000 (they are list prices of course!) 

I had no idea Warwick list prices were so high these days. Mines is the 89 NT with original EMG's still in there. 

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had no idea Warwick list prices were so high these days. Mines is the 89 NT with original EMG's still in there. 

Dave

So's mine... EMG's on yours too? *Edit... just re-read you post #embarrassed

Edited by visog
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, visog said:

So's mine... EMG's on yours too? *Edit... just re-read you post #embarrassed

Original EMG's but the control module failed about 5 yrs ago and only option from Warwick was to fit the MEC control pots and circuit boards. I can't hear any difference between them but i guess its the bass and pick ups that have the most impact on the sound after yourself that is.

I've had it since buying new in 89. Stunning bass and great to play but quite heavy tho. Its very rarely been out the house as not long after i bought it i stopped gigging for various reasons and have been using my Jazz since getting back into bands 8 yrs ago.

Dave

16 hours ago, lowdowner said:

Except the Spector NS-1 (which this shape duplicates more or less) was created 3 years earlier than the Streamer wasn't it? So the Streamer is the 'copy' if anything? Or do I have my dates wrong?

The Spector NS1 was designed in 1977 so a few more years than that.... ;)