Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2019 - Sun 7 April

scrumpymike

45 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I would very much like to purchase one of @Jabba_the_gut‘s tiny travel basses - such fun, and so nicely put together!

Loved the food - you could easily charge twice what you do @scrumpymike.  Loved having the opportunity to buy bits from @Chownybass too - got me a bridge for my incredibly slow build.

Also won a pedal in the raffle. - I love pedals!

And thank you to @Andyjr1515 for the donation of a neck for my slow build and knobs for my Hohner Jack.  

Bought some mics from @Frank Blank a chuffed with those too.  I like mics nearly as much as I like basses!

Basschat is a great community.

The Great Big SW Bass Bash pedal! 

Rich donated it 3 years ago & I won it. I donated it last year & Woody won it. This year Woody donated it & you got it.

No pressure :lol: 

• Haha 4

Back home and unpacked from the SW Bass Bash. I have to say a big thank you to @scrumpymike and everyone who helped organise this event and all the lovely food - I'm leaving the first couple of weekends in April free in anticipation for next years bash! 

I've been looking forward to this event since it was announced last year and it was so nice to catch up with everyone I have met there previously and meet some new faces. You really couldn't ask for a more enjoyable day with a nicer bunch of people. Thanks again - it really is very much appreciated.

I end up chatting to everyone for so long I actually forget to do things I planned to do - I didn't try half the amount of gear I wanted to and I missed getting a photo of @wrinkleygit's fretless bass alongside the fretted version I just finished building! 

Cheers again to @Rich for the couple of pieces of wood that will get recycled into bass necks sometime in the near-ish future.

I also have to say thanks for all the positive comments I got on my basses and the surprised looks on folks faces when the tried the shortie basses!! 

Cheers and see you all soon!

Jez

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another great bash!

highlights for me :-

Frank Black's Godin acoustic (& special medal to Frank for distance travelled!).

Yorks5stringer's restored to its near original condition Fender Tele bass (again, its a great bass).

Woodinblack's beautiful Ibanez 5 str.

Japanaxe's Dingwall Super P, Demeter Amp & Portaflex Amp, very lively sounding.

Jabba_the_gut's teeny weeny travel basses, brilliant fun to play.

MoJoKe's new Markbass Classic Amp, filthy sounding thing.

Meeting Tony Butler, lovely humble interesting bloke

The company of all you basschatters & a buffet of smashing grub.

Cheers,

Norm 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I think the phrase is ‘clucking bell’ I just tried @wrinkleygit‘s fretless, built by @Jabba_the_gut and (never thought I’d have to string these words together) it’s better than the Rob Allen! I’ll say it once more... better.

I really don’t think he realises just how astonishingly good his work is, glad I’ve got one ‘in production’ they will soon be properly sought after. Genuine works of art.

4CCFADED-EFCE-431B-8E10-7EAF15BEF9A2.jpeg

Very flattered!

• Like 1

Four and a half hours after leaving I’m back after the Bash. I’m still stuffed with glorious food, everyone was lovely, my throat is a little sore after trying to talk over the thrum of a gazillion basses. I swore a lot today, mostly an uneducated man’s inarticulate exclamations of delight at @Jabba_the_gut’s astonishing builds, such great quality, so much so I have a new aim, to only own two basses, one fretted, one fretless, both short scale and both Jabba builds. Extraordinary basses, really just extraordinary. @scrumpymike and team run a great event I don’t know half the people I met (and swore at) and didn’t get to meet half the people there (who I didn’t swear at). Have I mentioned the food? A couple of points, @wrinkleygit had (imho although I wasn’t alone) the best bass in the building, a Jabba fretless, I swore an awful lot about that bass in particular, I was settled with the Rob Allen and now I’m considering selling it, I suppose that’s the way with musical instruments, you make your way, slowly, towards your personal bass nirvana but never really arrive... </esoterica>

@Witters needs an Ibanez SRC6 in his life, don’t we all? More fun than eating sherbet dib dabs whilst on acid, ahem, although not quite as transcendental.

Oh yes, before I forget, the food...

A 346 mile round trip, worth every mile, see y’all next year.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 8

I predict a Jabbass feeding frenzy. And given the aesthetic quality of his builds I have no reason to believe that all the other aspects of his builds are fine and dandy. I am looking forward to checking them out in the Midlands bash. 

• Like 3

I totally agree with all comments made regarding the SW Bass Bash. It is a terrific event.  

Big thanks to Scrumpy Mike, The Scrumpettes, Graham on the door, Michael Gillett, Steve Chowney, David Koenig, Phil Starr and fellow speaker techies in the "quiet" room and, of course, all you Basschatters for being so ...chatty!

• Like 2

Well what a great day again. You could never get such a great selection of gear or people together. Of course the Scrumpettes must get most praise as the food was again superb. More than that they kept us watered all day and of course cleared up after everyone was gone. 

Great to meet Andy again, I love his work and that fact that he shares his experience ( yes I will be after more info soon Andy). 

Jabba's basses are fantastic and the support for the bash from Chowney, Markbass and Gillett is great. I never felt the need for an acoustic bass but I fear a Gillet would be hung on the wall rather than played. They are works of art. 

A big thank you for all those that came to the cab shootout. The initial results were enlightening. Phil is collating them and the results will be on the 12" cab diary soon. Suffice to say that all the information was really useful and a big thanks to Jim for staying in the room and giving his opinion. It all helps. Despite all the work in modelling, measuring and building, you can never tell how a cabinet will sound but the help of all that attended has encouraged Stevie knowing he is on the right track. 

Finally it was good to talk to Tony Butler and despite his health problems it was smashing to see him at the bash. We must have lived about  a mile apart when we were young, but it was the first time I have met him. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rich said:

Here is @Witters trying, as so many of us did, to work out how Jez managed to get such a dinky package to make such a good and BBBBIG sound.

20190407_114807.thumb.jpg.545f79fc5b2134cd68b34389172a1bdf.jpg

Just to clarify... the 'dinky package' referred to the bass, and not @Witters :lol: 

I've just realized that I forgot to call out thanks to @Chienmortbb and the shootout massive... fascinating stuff, and very interesting results. I'm sure I wasn't the only one surprised at my choice when that curtain was lifted.

20190407_143505.thumb.jpg.4b733bca58caa6331dd1ec745fe9d5f3.jpg

Dunno about the rest of you, but I actually feel quite genuinely sad today knowing that there's now a year's wait.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just to clarify... the 'dinky package' referred to the bass, and not @Witters :lol: 

I've just realized that I forgot to call out thanks to @Chienmortbb and the shootout massive... fascinating stuff, and very interesting results. I'm sure I wasn't the only one surprised at my choice when that curtain was lifted.

20190407_143505.thumb.jpg.4b733bca58caa6331dd1ec745fe9d5f3.jpg

Dunno about the rest of you, but I actually feel quite genuinely sad today knowing that there's now a year's wait.

To be fair most of the credit goes to Stevie and Phil. Glad you found it worthwhile, I certainly learnt a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just listening to one of the cd’s from the front desk - Gadu Gadu Terra Incognito (Adrian Maruszczyk).  It’s very ECM, Jan Gabarek comes to mind, but less intense.  Well played, well written, well produced etc.  It’s really good, lovely stuff.

I’m looking forward to the others!

Now I REALLY must get on with some work! 😜😔

• Like 2

Well, what can one say - except yesterday's event was the best of an already good bunch!!  In case anyone thinks I'm being a bit immodest, I hasten to add that all the credit for that goes not to me (my bit was easy and spread over a period of time) but rather to the Scrumpettes, Big Graham, photographer Richard, Frank Blank (who came to our aid this year and worked like a Trojan during set-up), our great sponsors - and, last but definitely not least, you lovely bunch of guys.  BTW, hall booked for Sunday April 5th 2020 and the next 4 years after that 😊

Richard sent me a link with pic's (video to follow).  They are great and hopefully I can now insert the link  - here goes:

https://bigfatswbassbash.weebly.com/

PS Embedded in the group shots is one rather 'cheeky' one 😂 - such a shy, retiring character that Frank!!

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 2

that group image of us is great,

group-2_orig.jpg

And frank has his trousers on in that one, which is nice!

I forgot to mention that the sale basses were great. The Gillet acoustics were great, loved those, and especially liked the little skinny string one. Not sure I have scope for one of those, but I was impressed. Also the walnut Chowny are very impressive.

I didn't quite get out of there without buying anything, but I figured I got away lightly, if Jabba had been selling that brown mini bass or the hollow one with the tapewounds it would have been different!

• Like 4