Why become a member? ×

Sansamp through a powered speaker

Twanger

I've been using a sansamp for a long time....well, more accurately, I've had a Sansamp BDDI for a long time, but haven't been using it as I haven't been playing out for the past 10 years. When I was gigging, I often used to go through the FX in of the house bass amp (this was Ankara, Turkey, and the better class bars tended to have a house bass amp). Always a solid, usable sound.

So I was thinking - what are the do's and don'ts of using the BDDI into a powered speaker as a regular rig. What speakers work, which don't work and where are the pitfalls?

Any info info gratefully appreciated.

I've done this on occasion, I've even just plugged an active bass straight into one. Given that a powered speaker is just effectively a combo without a conventional preamp, I can't think of any pitfalls. If you can get the tone you want from the BDDI, why bother having another EQ section in the way.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. I was thinking that as the BDDI is designed to emulate an amp through a PA, then having an uncoloured powered speaker would actually be an advantage. Less uncontrolled low end. Perhaps less wooliness.

But maybe there are brands to avoid, issues with crossover, I don't know....

Edited by Twanger

There is a large thread here - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/315455-interesting-frfr-story/

Myself, I use a SolidGoldFX Beta as a preamp and/or a Zoom MS-60B for eq, straight into an RCF, and I've never been happier.

A small thing from a practical point of view - since the speaker's volume control is generally on the back panel, I find it useful to use a pedal with an output volume control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

There is a large thread here - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/315455-interesting-frfr-story/

Myself, I use a SolidGoldFX Beta as a preamp and/or a Zoom MS-60B for eq, straight into an RCF, and I've never been happier.

A small thing from a practical point of view - since the speaker's volume control is generally on the back panel, I find it useful to use a pedal with an output volume control. 

I got some way into that thread before it overpowered me. I once saw Tangerine Dream playing in Croydon in the 70s, with a stage full of Moogs and it was impressive tech. That thread made me realise that by modern standards TD were still painting on cave walls....

Thanks for the link. I've saved it and will get back into it at some stage. I know now a bit about what powered speakers are available, and the effect speaker size might have.

I've been using an Ampeg scr-di through a Barefaced FR800 to great effect. All I've found that is necessary, is to make sure the Ampeg is switched on with the level down before powering up the BF. The BF has no volume control and so is on full whack all the time. Same applies when using the Behringer BD or any preamp really, Phenomenal with an RCF 745 too!

10 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

I've been using an Ampeg scr-di through a Barefaced FR800 to great effect. All I've found that is necessary, is to make sure the Ampeg is switched on with the level down before powering up the BF. The BF has no volume control and so is on full whack all the time. Same applies when using the Behringer BD or any preamp really, Phenomenal with an RCF 745 too!

Slight aside - Have you checked out the FR800 through the power amp's software?  It's a long way off being set on full whack - there's a lot of headroom there!

I also have  FR800 and I've used it with a Sansamp, a Zoom B3n, a Helix and a Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig and they all work really well.  You're only sticking an external preamp in front of a power amp and cabinet after all, so just like a combo...  The only slight problem is exactly what @jrixn1says around easy access to a volume control..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muppet said:

Slight aside - Have you checked out the FR800 through the power amp's software?  It's a long way off being set on full whack - there's a lot of headroom there!

I also have  FR800 and I've used it with a Sansamp, a Zoom B3n, a Helix and a Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig and they all work really well.  You're only sticking an external preamp in front of a power amp and cabinet after all, so just like a combo...  The only slight problem is exactly what @jrixn1says around easy access to a volume control..

Aye, I've got the software and only have it set on 10. They just seem to come on with a bump unless everything else is turned on with levels down first.

20 hours ago, la bam said:

Why not try a rack mount version? There's so many more routing options. Let - xlr sansamp, xlr clean, Jack sansamp, Jack clean, fx loop, 50/50 fx, pads, dual inputs and easier to get to if you need to change anything when playing.

because it's too complex. I prefer a one trick pony with an excellent trick. My dream is to turn up, plug in and go. With too many options I tend to spend time playing with the options rather than playing the bass.

16 hours ago, la bam said:

Pretty much exactly the same on the front panel (tech 21 rbi and rpm- rack versions of sansamp pedals). Just more routing if needed on the rear. It's as simple as they come.

Thanks, I get that. But it's still more options. I've spent my life fretting over options. It's enough. And what's more, I don't want to carry a rack. The BDDI works. My only interest is to make it louder.

• 1 month later...