Why become a member? ×

Speaker cone crease removal

MoonBassAlpha

I think you will struggle but if you feel there is nothing to lose try a bit of steam, it'll soften the lignin fibres and maybe even break some of the chemical bonds which tie the fibres together, they'll reform over time and as it dries. It's the process by which wood is bent and it works fairly well on flat paper, a cone is going to be tricky, ideally you'd want a mould to shape the cone onto and a way of clamping it whist it dries in the shape you want. Sounds like a tricky job. good luck.

Refoaming seems to have gone well, both cones centred ok without rubbing. My friend has now refitted them and is running in gently. I asked if there were any farting sounds, and he said "yes, but they're all coming from me!" (He may have had a few beers at the weekend!)

He does like his bass, and is a little deaf, so we'll see how they fare once he opens them up! I told him to listen and watch out for tears in the cone, but he was running them for a while without any foam at all, so he may not even notice :(

Thanks for the input folks!

MBA