Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble Stage 800

Mercury Rising

I had a Rumble 500 and went on to a Trace Elliot GP12 with lightwight cabs, could never quite get the sound I wanted out of the Rumble and although it was light it was bulky with just one handle on the top, I've still got the marks on my front door frame, I believe the 800 is the same size, and there have been moans about cab rattle with the 500 as well, I was surprised to find out they didn't use Neo speakers in it so big weight savings have to be made elsewhere

I've got a Stage 800 and i think it's bl**dy marvelous for the money, admittedly still in the honeymoon period 3 weeks in but i'm liking the bells & whistles a lot. Great digital convenience and decent tones available and fairly easy to use once you've done the manual - if you've got a smart phone you'll love it as you can make amp patches up on your phone to try out. Still yet to gig it but it's on the cards....unbelievably my Genzler Magellan aka simply the best amp known to humankind has quietly taken a back seat for now.

Here was my first impressions

I’ve been using the Stage 800 since they came out as I previously used the Rumble 500. Great combo with lots of useful touches that I didn’t think I would need at the time but work great for me. (E.g. Bluetooth connection for playback of recordings / songs in the rehearsal room, etc)

Most importantly, it continues the great tone and performance that I had with the Rumble plus you’ve got all the modelling options and a footswitch to boot which can be good fun experimenting with. I’ve used this at loads of gigs and always performs well with favourable comments from the FOH sounds folks.

I do have an existing Rumble extension cab but 99% of the time, I just use the combo as it’s plenty loud enough for monitoring or using as backline. (Small point but I just wished that Fender had kept with the Silver grill cloth as personally, it looks so much better on stage and matches the extension cab should I need to - fortunately, I swapped the one off my Rumble 500)

4 hours ago, Floyd Pepper said:

(Small point but I just wished that Fender had kept with the Silver grill cloth as personally, it looks so much better on stage and matches the extension cab should I need to - fortunately, I swapped the one off my Rumble 500)

+1 - I too wished they’d kept the silver 

The latest generation of fender rumble combos are really good for the money. We have the 500w version in my music school, and I am always impressed with the sound, no matter which bass I have with me.

The sound is pleasing to me, but it may not do that trace elliot sound...

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a sub-20kg combo for general duties and when I need a quick and convenient amp to stick in the car and not take the FRFR setup. Mostly, it will be jam sessions, rehearsals, and some gigs where I need a reasonable backline (tho that's rare as it's usually PA support)

The usual answer seems to be the Markbass Alain Caron 121 Lite.. and it ticks all the boxes, including being 16.3kg and a reasonable size.

Now, the Rumble 800 is also within spec, at 17.7kg, and size wise is pretty much the same size as my Barefaced Compact (it's actually not quite as tall..) The AC 121 lite is slightly smaller, but only in as much as it's deeper but narrower and a touch less height. 

I've tried a Studio 40 and liked the modelling. Similarly I'm not shy of the modelling stuff, having gigged a Helix quite a lot, as well as a number of Preamp/DI pedals with amp and cab modelling. 

I wonder if this is something I should be considering alongside the AC121 Lite?

21 hours ago, MoJo said:

They do an 800? I love my 500v3. I may have to consider upgrading

400W internal, 800W with another cab, 2x10", the same modelling pre as the studio 40, <20kg, <£700. It's a brilliant bargain.

On 24/11/2018 at 09:34, Norris said:

I love my 500v3 so much I have no amp GAS, not even for an 800

I’m the same @Norris . The Rumble 500v3 does the job every time for me. I was thinking that if the Stage 800 was an updated version of the 500 with built in effects, it might be worth looking at. I see however that it’s an amp modeller (including modelling the Rumble?). The Low Mid and Hi Mid controls have become ‘Mid’. The Studio 800, a bit like the Boss GT6-B I used own, has too many bells and whistles and I could see me being tempted to swap patches all the time or, worse still, finding one setting I really liked and ignoring all the rest. I’d be interested in trying ine out but I suspect that I will probably stick with the 500v3 for the foreseeable future 

Edited by MoJo

• 3 weeks later...

I have had, and used, my Fender B-DEC 30 modelling bass amp for over 10 years and still love it.  

I also have had, and used, my Fender Rumble 500 combo for 4 years and still love it.

I have had, and marginally used, my Fender Bassman 500 w/115 neo cab just 2 years and still love it.  However, it's a bit bulkier to transport than the R500c.  Plus, it's so beautiful I'm loathe to risk scratching it!

Because of my B-DEC experience, I'd love to get the Fender Rumble Studio 40.  Because of my B-DEC's reliability, however, I can't (yet) justify it.  But if the B-DEC shows one little chink in it's armor, I'm liable to replace it in a heartbeat!

• 4 months later...

Well, I gave in to the G.A.S. and got the Fender Rumble Studio 40, even though the Fender B-DEC is still doing just fine.  BONUS:  The 4-button footswitch I got for the B-DEC 10 years ago also works on the Studio!  The button labels aren't the same but, Fender sent me a free magnetic overlay that updates the button labels to Stage/Studio terminology!!  It fits so well you can't tell the footswitch is recycled.   😁

1906613064_MGT-4FootswitchMagneticOverlay.thumb.jpg.1a6b91d856e06999bdd73fd960b1df05.jpg

Now, with the footswitch and the Fender Tone App, it's super easy to try different presets and even edit them to my liking.  I'm loving the Rumble Studio 40 more each time I use it!  And, should the need arise for more volume, I'll just plug an instrument cable into the Studio's Left Channel FX Send (Mono) and into my Rumble 500 combo's FX Return to amplify the Studio's sound even more!

256935524_MyRumbles.thumb.jpg.31896baf573fcd951d8efe16ca565839.jpg

Edited by G-Dog
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2018 at 18:56, Raslee said:

1.     It’s heavier than anticipated. Still a one hand carry though and pretty light for what it is I guess.

2.     The 64 page manual, that annoyingly you have to download, initially seemed a bit daunting but actually wasn’t too hard to work through – it’s very pictorial and a lot easier compared to the Markbass Multiamp manual. I confidently learned the Fender amp programming in about 2 hours – there’s a lot to remember but it’s fairly self-explanatory once you get going.

3.     The sounds and FX are very good, decent envelope filter and there is a decent notable difference between the amp models – ironically I’m favouring the GK emulator at present. There seems to be an abundance of distortions/overdrives…probably too much and a lot of the presets are distortion heavy but of course all settings are easy to modify and make cleaner.

4.     The Fender Tone app on the iPhone is brilliant, easy to modify your sound from your phone as long as your connected to the amp via Bluetooth. You can create amps, add Fx and make setlists all from your phone and its quick to make the changes. There are also presets in a Fender cloud that can be auditioned as well as downloaded- quite handy. All settings can be backed up to the cloud too.  

5.     The footswith is great too. You can switch between amp models easily and switch FX on and off in each patch setting if they’re present. Built in tuner and you can control the looper from the pedal. The pedal is sturdy and built to last, however, the connecting cable is a cheap nasty molded plug type – basic mono jack to jack.

6.     First bass amp I’ve ever connected to my home Wifi too – novel! However its great you can play your music via Bluetooth through the amp – today I jammed along with an iTunes playlist and levels can be adjusted to suit.

7.     I’m sure there is a toaster somewhere on it but haven’t found that yet…neither have I managed to get on eBay with it :D

Overall though I’m very impressed so far and will take it to rehearsal on Sunday for a good running. Particularly pleased it has a 12 string emulator patch so I can now contribute on our bands take on Pearl Jam’s ‘Jeremy’ 

On 21/11/2018 at 19:23, Raslee said:

I've got a Stage 800 and i think it's bl**dy marvelous for the money, admittedly still in the honeymoon period 3 weeks in but i'm liking the bells & whistles a lot. Great digital convenience and decent tones available and fairly easy to use once you've done the manual - if you've got a smart phone you'll love it as you can make amp patches up on your phone to try out. Still yet to gig it but it's on the cards....unbelievably my Genzler Magellan aka simply the best amp known to humankind has quietly taken a back seat for now.

So unless you've moved this on, if I've done the math right you've had this nearly 6 months => the honeymoon period should be over by now and you will have had a decent chance to put it through its paces. Still going strong and the GM still taking a back seat? Be very interested in getting an update from you!

Edited by Al Krow

On 06/05/2019 at 23:14, Al Krow said:

So unless you've moved this on, if I've done the math right you've had this nearly 6 months => the honeymoon period should be over by now and you will have had a decent chance to put it through its paces. Still going strong and the GM still taking a back seat? Be very interested in getting an update from you!

You're absolutely right. 6 months on, still not gigged it as our recent gig was cancelled. However i do take it to all rehearsals. It's still going very strong, pumps out the power and I'm still loving the overall tones. I'm also using the effects more now, a 12 string sound, few distortions, compressors (v.good) and chorus. I like the effects tones, they seem to work well in the mix. Though the switch pedal can be a bit fiddly moving up through the sound banks I've found.

The biggest bug bear is not being able to see the controls window facing up on top of the amp if using an extension cab underneath...it can be too high to see. However i can see, and modify, settings via my iPhone...just make sure your slightly neurotic great grandma doesn't call you in the middle of rehearsal. Being able to play you practice tunes through the amp via your phone is  also very handy, particularly at rehearsals...but again pre warn your grandmother not to call at rehearsal time, it's highly embarrassing.

The weight is good, much more used to it now - i wouldn't want to carry it too far though, bit more cumbersome than a 12" MB Combo say. It's been sounding great today with my new Stingray; the Ampeg modelling is not particularly great though, lacks something that i can explain, but the GK and Fender models really stand out - the valve emulations aren't too bad either but of course you can never beat the real deal.

The Genzler M. is still in the back seat but i may get it out soon to dust it off as that's a great bit of kit too...but for now the Fender Stage 800 is most definitely a stayer...i'd buy another if it was stolen, there's the benchmark ! :D

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2019 at 13:19, Raslee said:

... ...just make sure your slightly neurotic great grandma doesn't call you in the middle of rehearsal. ... ... pre warn your grandmother not to call at rehearsal time, it's highly embarrassing. ... ... :D

Setting your phone to Airplane Mode will ensure no embarrassing calls broadcast through your amp.  😉

I've heard that Airplane Mode also helps stabilize your phone's Bluetooth connection to the Stage and Studio amps if your phone uses certain other apps that may temporarily "grab focus" but, I don't recall what those apps may be.  😀

• Thanks 1