Why become a member? ×

Most of generally like to think we have eclectic tastes but....

Barking Spiders

5 hours ago, oZZma said:

I don't value "eclecticism" much. When someone says he/she listens "all kinds of music" I immediately think he/she is not really passionate about anything and is just a casual listener.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true of some (many..?) there are those that are passionate about Music, of whatever genre, and are willing, even eager, to at least give an honest chance to unknown stuff. Many of these folks are musicians, and will willingly play in a variety of styles. Not all, it's true but it's not at all rare, either.
Just my tuppence-worth. B|

• Like 4

I have currently in my iTunes collection 23,484 songs. I mostly have it on random play. There is everything from Mozart to Meshugga in there. Every genre apart from jazz funk. I think my tastes are eclectic

14 hours ago, oZZma said:

I don't value "eclecticism" much. When someone says he/she listens "all kinds of music" I immediately think he/she is not really passionate about anything and is just a casual listener.

I agree to a point. My original love was hard rock or metal, so I always default to that, but I just let the software choose the tracks for me. That's what I like. I can hear Slipknot one minute and Sigrid the next. I just love and appreciate all music. As I say jazz-funk is my least favourite, but I'm prepared to give anything a chance

21 hours ago, oZZma said:

From my personal experience, I’d very much agree with this.

On 21/11/2018 at 12:58, Barking Spiders said:

Hmm I thought the Pareto Principle was pretty well known . It's widely used in production management in factories. Anyway it's also applied to a lot of things e.g. people's clothes collections i.e. we praps wear the same fave 20% of items 80% of the time while the other 80% just sit in cupboards.  It doesn't have to rigidly stick to 80/20 but the idea holds up pretty well for many areas f life.

This.

23 hours ago, oZZma said:

Silly.

I’m passionate about music, how it sounds doesn’t really matter, if I like the song, I like the song.

Si

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Silly.

I’m passionate about music, how it sounds doesn’t really matter, if I like the song, I like the song.

Si

This - absolutely this - sums up my view.  There is music I like and music I don't like.  Genre is irrelevant. 

Of course music, like any art form, is so subjective so I try to shy away from using terms like 'good music' or 'bad music' because what I consider to be bad, someone might consider to be good.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oZZma said:

I listen to all kinds of music (apart from C&W and trad.jazz). I'm passionate... about music.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rich said:

I listen to all kinds of music (apart from C&W and trad.jazz). I'm passionate... about music.

Exactly! I LOVE music. That is what my hobby is. Listening to music and trying to play it, be it on my bass or guitar. I also have an electronic drum kit and a piano, although I'm not any good on them. Id love the time to spend learning any instrument, but above all, the hearing and appreciation of just music is what I love!

I love music too. That's exactly why I'm picky. I can't stand crappy music and most music is crappy (ranging from trivial to cheesy to pandering) IMO. So no, I won't listen any kind of music, and I find there are tons of genres that are crappy in their entirety

Moreover, I find that being "passionate" about something also implies "reseraching" deep into lesser known, underrated, but great bands/records, thus one tends to "specialize" in a certain number of genres of greater interest. IMO the greater the "passion" the more it tends to coincide with geekiness.

Edited by oZZma

3 hours ago, oZZma said:

I love music too. That's exactly why I'm picky. I can't stand crappy music and most music is crappy (ranging from trivial to cheesy to pandering) IMO. So no, I won't listen any kind of music, and I find there are tons of genres that are crappy in their entirety

Moreover, I find that being "passionate" about something also implies "reseraching" deep into lesser known, underrated, but great bands/records, thus one tends to "specialize" in a certain number of genres of greater interest. IMO the greater the "passion" the more it tends to coincide with geekiness.

I'm also not one of those people who says they can find good stuff in every genre. Far from it, there are entire genres and musical output from whole countries that i dislike 100% and have yet to come across any exceptions. I'm not passionate about music and am not a music lover. On the whole I'll even go far as saying I generally cannot abide music and wish 99.999r% of it stopped being made. However, I thoroughly enjoy a tiny sliver of all music I've ever heard and what I still like after many years I have on CD. But I reckon more people are actually like this but don't want to be seen as being narrow minded.

• Like 1

According to Mr Google, there are about 944 genres and 2 million artists on Spotify, so maybe having an 'eclectic' taste in music just means you like 'all kinda stuff'.

Amazing and mind-boggling though how much music you can stream with a subscription these days.... I'd probably only need about three or four genres and 20 ish artists myself.