Why become a member? ×

Most of generally like to think we have eclectic tastes but....

Barking Spiders

...do most of you here really listen to a broad selection of music or do you truly listen in accordance with the 80/20-20/80 rule?  I have a pretty eclectic music collection but in truth 80% of the time I just listen to stuff that falls under the electronica umbrella, the other 20% being split between everything else

I honestly listen to a hugely varied selection of music. I was at uni yesterday, travelling there I was listening to Messiaen and Mogwai, coming back a bit of Dream Theatre and then Peter Gabriel's 'Live blood' album. Just now I was listening to Thom Yorke's latest album 'Suspiria'. 

• Like 1

Depends on how busy I am - if I have a lot of material to learn, then I'll spend the majority of my listening time on the new material, otherwise I listen to whatever takes my fancy at that particular time, which might be music I've already listened to or I might be just exploring youtube for new music and bands/musicians that I've not listened to before.

I like a variety of music, there's not a lot I actively dislike but what I choose to listen to on a regular basis falls within a fairly narrow band.

Sure I like jazz, hip-hop, soul, folk and plenty of other genres and do listen to them from time to time, but the vast majority of my listening falls within a fairly broad definition of metal.

which, I think, is what the OP is getting at

Edited by Graham

Hmm I thought the Pareto Principle was pretty well known . It's widely used in production management in factories. Anyway it's also applied to a lot of things e.g. people's clothes collections i.e. we praps wear the same fave 20% of items 80% of the time while the other 80% just sit in cupboards.  It doesn't have to rigidly stick to 80/20 but the idea holds up pretty well for many areas f life.

It changes over time. Sometimes I'll listen only to classical, sometimes only to Americana, etc. At the moment I'm listening to a lot of stock/advertising music, mainly because I'm composing it. Last year I listened to a big shed full of Trance. Year before that, progressive and other 70s rock styles... on it goes.

PS: There seems to be an 'us' missing from the thread title. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

Mine is quite eclectic.  I've got around 2500 songs on my walkman and generally it's on shuffle.  It ranges from early blues,  70s rock, to 80s electronica, 90s grunge and modern indie, with some pop and R&B chucked in for good measure. 

Last 10 tracks:

Child in Time - Deep Purple, Cabron - RHCP, Wrong Number - The Cure, Girls Got Rhythm - AC/DC, Ironic - Alanis Morissette, Why Do You Love Me - Garbage, Dream Lover - The Vaccines, Chasing Cars - Natasha Bedingfield, Tomorrow - Avril Lavigne, What You Gonna Do - Plan B.

I don't like jazz or country, and tend not to listen to classical on the move - haven't actually been to the Opera for a couple of years.

The 80/20 rule is alive and well as I suspect 80% of the songs are rock.  I change out tracks on the player every year or so.

My music collection ranges from Abba to ZZ Top, with Motorhead next to Mozart. From this, most of my music listening tends to be prog rock, prog metal or fusion, but the majority of my available listening time is in the car where I mainly listen to audiobooks at the moment.

As per the subject header, everyone apparently likes to think of themselves as well-listened and a bit special. I'll happily listen to a bit of Strauss, or Hungarian folk music, or Radio One (not so happy there, but pre-teen children leave you with little choice). Sometimes even C&W.

However, it always comes back to Hemispheres at the end of the day. Sometimes it's a couple of months, occasionally a year or so. But Hemispheres is always the end point, usually via a few other albums that always crop up on the way (Clutching At Straws, Strangers In The Night, Going For The One, Hanx!).

I'm old enough to not bother about thinking I have an eclectic taste in music anymore. Whilst always having an open ear, I know my place and am happy in it.

• 1 month later...

I don't value "eclecticism" much. When someone says he/she listens "all kinds of music" I immediately think he/she is not really passionate about anything and is just a casual listener.

Edited by oZZma

I'm kind of stuck in a rut with music if I'm honest. Although I'll listen to many things live, if it comes to actually choosing music, I'll generally go for the same band I've been listening to for the past 30 years or so. Guns n Roses. Metallica. Iron Maiden. Aerosmith. Alice Cooper, and things of that ilk. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

Some immediate neighbours in my itunes:

Ian Anderson, Anthrax

Beethoven, Black Sabbath

Debussy, Deep Purple

Dio, Dixie Dregs

Herbie Hancock, Jeff Healey

Carole King, King's X

Yngwie Malmsteen, Aimee Mann

Joni Mitchell, Montrose

Night Ranger, Mike Oldfield