Why become a member? ×

Paid NOT to play? Update.

leschirons

So, been offered a gig that normally just requires a duo ( sax, guitar + b.trax) However, for some strange reason, the agency now needs three people on stage ( it's actually a smooth cocktail set for an hour) so I've been asked.

Last time, the sax player took the bass off the tracks and I played. This time is too short notice so I've been asked to mime as the setlist is different. Very good money at minimum 250 + for an hour and I'm being driven there and fed but not sure how I feel about doing it as now, he's asked me to bring an EUB that I've owned for only three weeks as it'll "look better" What can possibly go wrong?😂

Edited by leschirons
Update
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Me and a drummer friend did a NYE gig 7 or 8 years ago like that. The venue wanted a band and booked a duo, so the duo hired us. It really was most odd, well paid though. We only found out on the night when we arrived; the guy took us to one side and told us.

Edited by ambient

8 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Does the agent and venue know this is the plan ?  I guess if you don't do it then they'll find someone else who will so you may as well pocket the cash.

I guess singers do it a the time but it does feel wrong.

The agent was at the previous one where I actually played and probably wouldn't care if he knew the situation for this time as long as he gets his money. It's a cocktail gig for a bank. They won't even notice anyone is there at all. We'll be stuck in a corner and mistaken for coat attendants and waiters😂

• Haha 4

My first instrument was piano and, while an Abba band I had joined transitioned to fully live (with me on bass), I played the part of Benny. There were backing tracks and so I did about 3 months of miming the piano parts. It was utterly soul destroying.

Being an ex-pianist, I was able to make a pretty good fist of miming but was always checking out the crowd for people who had sussed out what I was doing. Good money but a hideous experience.

• Like 1

Someone posted a 'bass dep wanted' ad on a local FB page a year or so ago.

A friend contacted them to ask them for more info.

They were told the successful applicant would actually be miming to a track, but it was essential that they attend a rehearsal beforehand.

He politely passed on the opportunity.

😜

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 1

Better stand with your back to the audience and play facing the rear wall.   You can get your  other player to mention over the mic that you're eccentric,  and really hate  gratuitous sax

Result.

Free nosebag , free drink,  free taxi,  cash in the claw, ....and no worrying about missed and duff notes.  What's not to like ?

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

at least you know in advance

I went to see a mate's band at a festival last year.  he'd been complaining about the bass player (actually a guitarist who had blagged his way into the band, knew no bass technique at all, and had a rather agricultural approach to the bass lines where enthusiasm outdid accuracy every time) and I was going to make a point of listening out for how good or bad he was.  I'd seen them a few times before, but this time they sounded much better than usual, much clearer, like they had new arrangements for the songs.  Then I noticed that I couldn't hear much of the bass, but when I looked at his hands he wasn't playing the correct notes for some of the songs

So I had a word with my mate afterwards and asked him about the new arrangements.  He looked at me blankly...then the penny dropped "On no, we low-passed him, told the soundman to take him out of the FOH mix.  he's coming through the backline so he thinks he can still be heard out front, everybody's happy"

In fairness, they did sound much better than when you could hear him playing the wrong notes

In the interests of full disclosure,, I'm helping them out for a couple of gigs at Christmas, and the subject of reinstating the "low-pass" has been discussed for any songs that I haven't mastered at that point

• Haha 1

Nowt wrong with that!

I mimed with my other 3 band mates to being Diana Vicker's backing band  - 5 of her songs, she sang live, we mimed (pads on drum skins etc) and it was in front of 70,000, pitch centre at Old Trafford!

Also had a Director's box, free booze and a 3 course meal.

Easiest gig I ever did do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Its like half an evenings work to take the bass off the tracks and re-bounce (assuming they have access to the sessions to do it themselves).

Lazy!

Can't comment on that as I'm not a teccy and as it's not my gig, probably not wise for me to call him lazy and to get his derrière into gear for half an evening😂