Why become a member? Ɨ

iPhone 6s & 7 Plus owners - call volume..?

wateroftyne

(Note to Apple haters.. move along. I've heard it all already šŸ˜„)

Hey gang

I recently picked up a used 7 Plus recently, with a view to handing my 6 down to my daughter.

I noticed thatĀ the 'earpiece' speaker of the 7 Plus was far quieter than both my 6, and my wife's 5s. I assumed it was jiggered, so I got my money back.

So, plan B: I've just picked up a used 6s Plus from a friend who really looks after his stuff. It's immaculate, but lo-and-behold... the call volume is much quieter again.

I've done the usual troubleshooting - installing updates, noise cancellation, checked the speaker grille for obstructions, with no luck.

It's got me wondering... are they justĀ quieter phones? Has some EU directive been introduced to limit the volume?Ā 

...or am I just unlucky? Ta!

Edited by wateroftyne

No, you could be right. I've got an Iphone 6S as my phone from work. I'd definitely say it was quieter than the BlackBerry Z10 it replaced or my personal phone; a Galaxy S8. So much so that I almost always use it with either the wired headset or speaker phone. Using it against my ear, like where a phone should be is... well not unusable but certainly getting there.

It's a modern mobile phone, they are all designed to be used on speakerĀ at full volume so everybody around you can hear your conversation... it's progress innit :-)

Only us old duffers put em to our ears these days!

Edited by Zalastar

I disagree with most off the above. i had a 6s plus for 6 weeks (on lone to see if i wanted to buy it). Volume was fine coming from my 5S. I ended up getting a 6S instead and didnt notice any difference volume wise. Iv never used a 7 (or 7 plus), but my 8 plus goes high enough that i never have it on max when making calls so i cant see how its woeful for making calls.

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

I disagree with most off the above. i had a 6s plus for 6 weeks (on lone to see if i wanted to buy it). Volume was fine coming from my 5S. I ended up getting a 6S instead and didnt notice any difference volume wise. Iv never used a 7 (or 7 plus), but my 8 plus goes high enough that i never have it on max when making calls so i cant see how its woeful for making calls.

That's all the confirmation I need. Thanks, Dave.

• Like 1