Why become a member? ×

Wal Pro 1 fretless

sblueplanet

3 hours ago, dyerseve said:

I guess i will continue to "agree to disagree" :

"Initially, all Wal bodies were constructed from solid ash.,"

😊

Yes, indeed... in reference to the original W1111 made for John G Perry and the famed Triple neck in the early mid 70s, the JG series built between '76 and '78 and the original Pro series which were produced from 1978 to 1981. I know this to be true as I actually wrote the line you quote... That's my blog...

However, this bass is not from the original Pro series. It is from the later, confusingly also entitled, "Pro" model which were (often/usually) solid ash cores with a facing of maple but potentially of other woods. This doesn't change the fact that as a custom builder there are many individual basses out there that step outside the specs of a model range.  Have a look at the many "transitional" basses they produced at the end of the original Pro series run as they were working out for themselves just exactly what the new Custom Series would look like or the few solid mahogany, claro walnut or ash Custom Series basses they made without facings (one of Colin Edwin's is a solid ash bodied Custom series bass)... If I may also quote myself to underline the variations and custom elements of the way in which Wal built basses throughout their history...

From the Reissue Pro page...

"Construction varies somewhat too. The body is solid ash although on some basses that core is faced with thin exotic veneers - usually flamed or birdseye maple (of a relatively intermediate cosmetic grade as befits the bass' budget ethos). The body is usually finished in a narrow black to clear sunburst finish. This also conveniently hides the join for the veneer. The bodies are also a slab design without any comfort contours for either forearm or stomach.
Just to add to the confusion sometimes these basses appeared with a PB serial number on the back-plate of the neck, sometimes with a W serial number."

Intro to the custom variations page...

"Throughout their history, Electric Wood were known for their custom builds alongside their production models. Whether it was the iconic triple neck or a tweak to the established formula, if you could convince Ian or Pete then the world was your oyster. However, they had to be convinced it would work. They remained craftsmen, dedicated to building beautifully crafted working tools for working musicians. The weird and wonderful but frankly silly basses could be left for other builders. 

"When visiting their workshops in High Wycombe it was not so unusual to see the odd Strat shaped guitar (albeit sporting the characteristic Wal laminated body) hanging from the guitar rack. Alongside might be a Jazz bass in for renovation. However, despite that their passion remained for the basses for which they had become known."