Why become a member? ×

Wal Pro 1 fretless

sblueplanet

This was on the wal facebook page a bit ago.  Didn't sell. 

The seller wasn't sure what its made of .. looks like mahogany with ash facings, but more likely solid ash with stained edges.

It is a tad expensive for a single pickup passive bass, with an unshaped body,  but the neck is the same as that on a full blown MK1 / custom, so worth £1600 in itself !  

That thumb rest has to go tho.

It does yes.  But the pro 1 passives were usually a slab of ash, sometimes with a face wood. Odd to put an ash face on a mahogany body then. The close up photos look mahogany colour but the grain is wrong.  Any ways, every wal is unique and if it IS a mahogany core, it's strange, unusual and collectable.

Qualifies well for this forum!

22 hours ago, NickA said:

more likely solid ash with stained edges.

This is exactly what it is. Check photo 8 of 10 and zoom in to where the light is reflecting near middle of the edge of the body. You can clearly see the grain from the ash continue into the mahogany stain.

Edited by dyerseve

13 minutes ago, ambient said:

It's nice in it's simplicity, though why attach a thumb rest using screws?

Because nails would stick through the other side and scratch his belt. :|

What's so wrong with screwing this on the bass anyway..? Should it be glued on instead, or riveted..? How does one attach wooden pieces to wooden basses otherwise..? :/
Mystified, of Norwich.

Just now, Dad3353 said:

What's so wrong with screwing this on the bass anyway..? Should it be glued on instead, or riveted..? How does one attach wooden pieces to wooden basses otherwise..? :/
Mystified, of Norwich.

On something like that; especially on the front I'd do it so it could be removed at a later date, maybe glue or something?

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Mystified, of Norwich.

Double sided tape or glue. Anything that wouldn't leave bloody holes in the thing should you want to remove it at a later date!

No one in the world (not since 1979 anyway) needs a thumb rest bolted to ANY bass ... let alone to a WAL!!!

Well spotted that man (@dyerseve).  What it IS is an ash slab body stained up (very neatly indeed) so that the bass looks like a light wood faced mahogany Custom (aka Mk1).

Doubt he'll get £2500 for it in this country - you can get all kinds of lovely bass stuff for that money.

On 23/11/2018 at 00:03, NickA said:

This was on the wal facebook page a bit ago.  Didn't sell. 

The seller wasn't sure what its made of .. looks like mahogany with ash facings, but more likely solid ash with stained edges.

It is a tad expensive for a single pickup passive bass, with an unshaped body,  but the neck is the same as that on a full blown MK1 / custom, so worth £1600 in itself !  

That thumb rest has to go tho.

Nick, 

Almost certainly mahogany core with flamed ash facings front and back. It's one of these... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/p/a-minor-diversion.html  http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/2015/08/gallery-reissue-pro-bass.html 

The standard for these basses was an ash body with (mostly) thin flamed or figured maple facing and often the ash stained/painted  to give a strong visual contrast to the front. I've seen a number (see the blog posts) where there is a dark sunburst effect on the sides to hide the joins or a sunburst and dark painted rear. However, being Wal there are a number of custom variants too. That's what I'd put this one down as. Mahogany core and thin ash facings front and back. And I must say, I think that it looks great. As do the more standard finishes. This is a bit of a one-off, though with that look. Nice!

As to the price... I passed up the chance to get one of these at about £300 or something back in about 1995 in a local guitar shop in Slough. Oh, how I regret that now. They were designed as a "more basic/affordable" alternative to the Custom Series basses and I wish that pricing of them was still in the sub £1k price range.  I'd snap one (or more) up in a blink of an eye. However, the price is pretty reasonable when you look a where the market is currently placing both the 1970s Mark 1 and 1980s/early 90s Mark 2 passive Pro basses. They are easily reaching £2k+ when they come up for sale now. Too rich for my pocket, very sadly, but that's what they are fetching nowadays. They may be a "cut down Wal" but they are still a totally hand-made bass, made by Wal to their specs, with their own pickups and bridges and built to the same quality as any other Wal bass. And they'll have the Custom Series neck build and shape too - which is a sublime neck to play on (well for me anyway).

Cheers

Trevor

PS don't mind the thumb rest, it's a practical addition to a bass that's meant to be played!

Edited by TrevorR

On 23/11/2018 at 22:14, dyerseve said:

This is exactly what it is. Check photo 8 of 10 and zoom in to where the light is reflecting near middle of the edge of the body. You can clearly see the grain from the ash continue into the mahogany stain

3 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Nick, 

Almost certainly mahogany core with flamed ash facings front and back. It's one of these... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/p/a-minor-diversion.html  http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/2015/08/gallery-reissue-pro-bass.html 

The standard for these basses was an ash body with (mostly) thin flamed or figured maple facing and often the ash stained/painted  to give a strong visual contrast to the front. I've seen a number (see the blog posts) where there is a dark sunburst effect on the sides to hide the joins or a sunburst and dark painted rear. However, being Wal there are a number of custom variants too. That's what I'd put this one down as. Mahogany core and thin ash facings front and back. And I must say, I think that it looks great. As do the more standard finishes. This is a bit of a one-off, though with that look. Nice!

As to the price... I passed up the chance to get one of these at about £300 or something back in about 1995 in a local guitar shop in Slough. Oh, how I regret that now. They were designed as a "more basic/affordable" alternative to the Custom Series basses and I wish that pricing of them was still in the sub £1k price range.  I'd snap one (or more) up in a blink of an eye. However, the price is pretty reasonable when you look a where the market is currently placing both the 1970s Mark 1 and 1980s/early 90s Mark 2 passive Pro basses. They are easily reaching £2k+ when they come up for sale now. Too rich for my pocket, very sadly, but that's what they are fetching nowadays. They may be a "cut down Wal" but they are still a totally hand-made bass, made by Wal to their specs, with their own pickups and bridges and built to the same quality as any other Wal bass. And they'll have the Custom Series neck build and shape too - which is a sublime neck to play on (well for me anyway).

Cheers

Trevor

PS don't mind the thumb rest, it's a practical addition to a bass that's meant to be played!

Hi Trevor 

Check my quoted post above yours in this reply and then check the photos again. Pretty sure no mahogany was harmed in the making of this particular Wal.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Marcoelwray
58 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Hi Trevor 

Check my quoted post above yours in this reply and then check the photos again. Pretty sure no mahogany was harmed in the making of this particular Wal.

Cheers

Chris

IMHO, different woods. Fibers don't go into the middle. Side doesn't look like ash. 

But, it looks like a bass that has been sanded... Edges of the paint are strange. 

I remember seeing those pro1 re-issues for sale in the 80s at around £250! 

But apart from the post above, also check my photo of the side of my definitely mahogany wal on the face book page.  Totally different texture and grain.  I wonder if it was all stained brown and someone sanded the surfaces off.

Someone is just going to have to buy it and find out!!!

(Not me, I could get all kind of lovely active basses for that money!  Suprised one of our state side buddies hasn't snapped it up as a collectable rarity all the same.)

1 hour ago, dyerseve said:

Hi Trevor 

Cheers

Chris

Yeah, I see the grain lines you mean but I’d go with ash and mahogany grain that sort of lines up and creates an optical illusion. We’ll have to agree to differ on that one unless one of us buys it so we can check! 😉😂

Guest Marcoelwray

"let's agree to disagree"

From a builder's point of view, I think that will be very expensive (for nothing) to build a entire body in flamed ash. I'm not really into Wal basses but I'm getting curious!

Who's going to buy this ?

On the dark bits I reckon they’ve put on some dark filler and then sanded it back to accentuate the grain. My Aria has a similar thing done prior to colouring and varnishing.

BA2D8DC8-C406-4E46-96FF-B7F10D4583E3.thumb.jpeg.e44426f96b76f4fff077ca8c6bebe76e.jpeg

Though, without the stain and heavy gloss, of course. Wal really liked their thin matt varnish that sinks into the grain looking like it’s almost unfinished. My Mk 1 Custom has a similar matt lacquer.

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

"let's agree to disagree"

From a builder's point of view, I think that will be very expensive (for nothing) to build a entire body in flamed ash. I'm not really into Wal basses but I'm getting curious!

Who's going to buy this ?

Marco, everything you ever wanted to know about Wals here... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/