Why become a member? ×

Boss LS-2 Mixing clean and effected signals

Delberthot

I'm thinking that this is what I am looking for but I can't get my head around if it is or not.

I am finding that some of my effects sound ropey on their own so want to mix the effected sound with the dry sound from the bass in order to retain the basic tone of my bass in with the effect. 

I think that I should plug my bass into the main input and run a loop into A which will have my effects in it then out of the main output into the amp. I can't see a setting that mixes the main input with loop A but if I plug my bass into A and have the effects running through B then I can mix A & B together and adjust the levels for each - does that sound right?

Or do I plug my bass into return A, effects into loop B and output using the main output?

My brain hurts

Edited by Delberthot

Bass into the input, pedal into loop A or B, pedal set to A+B mix mode. The unused loop turns into a clean unaffected channel as if you had plugged a patch cable between the send and return.

There’s also a Mosquite blender in the classifieds. One loop and a simple blend knob, less to worry about and the handy addition of a phase switch (without one, some pedals will cancel the signal out when mixed with clean with an LS-2).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Or use a KMA Audio Machines The Tyler, it’s truly a good piece of work keeping your clean signal unaffected and blend what you like over the top.

http://kma-machines.com/m_tyler.html

It does sound like a good piece of equipment but my pedals at the moment are Behringer BDI21, Octave & Phaser that cost me £17 each brand new and a Line 6 space echo that I had. The BDI is on all the time with the Rickenbacker but the others are only used occasionally so 235 Euros might be a bit overkill for my requirements.

11 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I actually think that this has been the problem that I have had with effects pedals - I love the sounds that they give but would prefer to still have my core bass sound being heard at the same time.

It's only taken me 31 years to work this out :crazy:

And most effect manufacturers TBH...

12 hours ago, Delberthot said:

It does sound like a good piece of equipment but my pedals at the moment are Behringer BDI21, Octave & Phaser that cost me £17 each brand new and a Line 6 space echo that I had. The BDI is on all the time with the Rickenbacker but the others are only used occasionally so 235 Euros might be a bit overkill for my requirements.

Probably worth noting that the Begringer Octave & BDI have their own clean blends. Not sure which Line 6 echo you have, if it’s the Echo Park, that has a clean blend. Can’t see that the Phaser does though.

Si

I use an overdrive with an LS-2.   Overdrive in loop A ,   A+B mix setting.  Loop B is then just dry / clean bass guitar.   I use the overdrive just to add a bit of crunch , not out and out fuzz, and channel B is completely clean bass.  I appreciate the blend controls effectively do the same thing, but there always seems to be some loss of bottom end.  With the LS-2 , I don't really have to worry about it.  Like all audio , there's probably an element of placebo going on, but it has worked on me (plus it's got a few other settings so plenty of other tricks in the box).