Why become a member? ×

Newly-discovered love of Trevor Bolder's playing

bassbiscuits

On 21/11/2018 at 13:04, martthebass said:

The Heep tour in 1980! Saw them at Sheffield City Hall on a Snowy Sunday night.  One of the best concerts I ever attended - didn't realise it was TB on bass.

I’ve still got the programme upstairs. Signed by Girlschool, who were the support. Great gig by both acts. Saw GS loads of times, only managed Heep once. I love me some Heep. It’s saying something that TB isn’t even my favourite Heep bassist; that’s the marvellous Gary Thain.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2018 at 23:41, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

By the way, I f you need TAB for Oh! You Pretty Things, I wrote it out yesterday. You’re welcome to it if it’s of any use.

Also, I learnt Changes a couple of years ago and this You Tube video was a great help as this specific live performance is what we used as a template. I know it’s not in the original key, but it has some great fills in it which are very easy to pick out from the video. Have fun 👍

Oh my! Can't count the times I've heard this song without really listening. Thank you, and the OP for bringing TB to my attention. Wow.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:18, 4000 said:

I’ve still got the programme upstairs. Signed by Girlschool, who were the support. Great gig by both acts. Saw GS loads of times, only managed Heep once. I love me some Heep. It’s saying something that TB isn’t even my favourite Heep bassist; that’s the marvellous Gary Thain.

the reason I love the sound of bass ,,,,,great shame Gary joined the 27 club ,,,,,

I also see heep on this tour,,,i had only been going out with my girlfriend for just over a month ,,,,,,then missed our first valentines day together because the show was feb 14th at hammersmith ,,,,,,,well worth it tho ,,,,,,,,,,,,,and me and the girlfriend  are still together although married after all these years.

Edited by nikon F
  • Like 1

Bit of a coincidence this... I 'discovered Trevor's bass lines a week ago when I decided to have a noodle at some Bowie. Changes is a really interesting bass line to follow as Bowie's vocals in the verse is slightly freeform and wonder a bit over the groove which is really great to listen to and then he anchors right back into the baseline for the chorus. 

p.s. nice playing Hiram ....

Edited by lowdowner

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

He did some lovely stuff for sure. Lady Grinning Soul is one of my favorite ever basslines.

For me Aladdin Sane is TB’s finest work.

It’s possibly my favourite record of all time any road (certainly the one that never strays from being in the top 3) and would be my recommendation to any budding bassist in terms of an album to listen to that inspires.

The title track is sheer perfection.

And of course he also had those amazing sidies!! 

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 3