Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

CyberBass

Went into PMT Bristol to pick up the Orange Terror Bass Mk2 and while I was there did the fatal mistake of going to bass section. I could hear a bass being played that just oozed buttery warm yummy bass tone and went over to see the bass salesman noodling away on a Fender JMJ Mustang Bass, started chatting to him about it. So he let me have a play, the neck plays like butter, the output amazing from the Seymour Duncan mustang pick up, and fender flats as standard. it is an amazing bass. Needless to say I ended up leaving the shop with it. Oh well Christmas presents to family is way overrated anyway lol. Oooops I’m in trouble!

CB5D1D7F-1C49-4501-AB0C-C5C83C9EAFBD.jpeg

• Like 3

Are they still using flats of the wrong length? Ie the wound part of the strong around the posts?
Is the gig bag still just a full sized bass one?

They do look really great, them being released prompted me to pickup up my MIJ Mustang!

Si

• Like 1

The gig bag is a short scale fender one, but not the basic one. The Fender site says the strings are 9050L, which would indicate long scale strings, however, on my bass the strings going into the post has green binding on, so I’m guessing they have changed the strings at point of manufacture. I would love to know myself what they use so I can get a spare set.

23 minutes ago, CyberBass said:

The gig bag is a short scale fender one, but not the basic one. The Fender site says the strings are 9050L, which would indicate long scale strings, however, on my bass the strings going into the post has green binding on, so I’m guessing they have changed the strings at point of manufacture. I would love to know myself what they use so I can get a spare set.

Wonder if the shop swapped them?! It's been a long while since I bought Fender strings, but I always thought they were black silks.
I can highly recommend the La Bella Mustang Flats. Specific for Mustangs as they have a little extra silk at the ball end to cater for the through-body bridge. You can get them from Bass Direct :)

Si

• Like 2

I want one of these so bad - it'd match my '72 Daphne blue musicmaster bass, but apart from me being skint, the missus also seems to think seventeen basses constitutes a complete collection - & I'm still in trouble for buying an epiphone vintage pro T-bird this year.

I put a set of the standard Fender 9050L flats on my CIJ mustang & they're pretty good -  only the E has an unsilked bit going around the tuning post and it doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects for it.

• Like 2

I haven’t played an original vintage one in many years, but what I can say if you compare this to the moder jp mustang it’s polar opposites. The JP is very modern sounding where this is a vintage sound with focus and depth. I prefer it to the Japanese mustang I owned, again it feels and sounds more vintage. If you get the chance try one out, I really recommend it.

in terms of it being roadworn, it is done in such a way it looks natural, it looks genuine roadworn. The head stock look like it’s hit the cymbals and the wear looks like natural wear. The dings etc all look like decades of wear and tear and use. It’s a gone beast it is.

Edited by CyberBass

@CyberBass Well done mate, fantastic bass. I was in there myself looking at Ibanezs a week back and I asked the guy if I could try the MJM, just because I'd seen the MJM video and fancied getting one before. I loved the way they've worn the neck and frets so it instantly feels comfortable and played-in. Looks ace too, bet it sounds fab. I'll bet you can't put it down :-)  

• Like 1

Green with envy, I absolutely love the look of these and really need to try one. I played a PJ Mustang in PMT a while ago and it was the most fun I have had on a bass in years. I was flying all over the neck with a big smile on my face. I need to see whether its the novelty or whether a short scale is going to be a good idea for me. The JMJ just looks so classic and would have to be what I go for if I delve into short scale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petebassist said:

@CyberBass Well done mate, fantastic bass. I was in there myself looking at Ibanezs a week back and I asked the guy if I could try the MJM, just because I'd seen the MJM video and fancied getting one before. I loved the way they've worn the neck and frets so it instantly feels comfortable and played-in. Looks ace too, bet it sounds fab. I'll bet you can't put it down 🙂

It is a great bass, and your right it’s hard to put it down and when I do put it down I keep looking at it lo sado yes 😊

Mine  has just been delivered.

The colour is very close to my Daphne Blue musicmaster bass and the roadworn job is natural looking & not too severe. It doesn't look grimey like some of the pics I have seen of this model, and the back of the neck has a smooth even matt finish.

I was surprised that it came with a gigbag suitable for a precision or jazz which is several inches longer than the 'Fender  urban shortscale' gigbag I use for my CIJ mustang & squier jag SS. The neck is a little chunkier than the CIJ mustang and the hipshot lollypop tuners are lovely. Straight out of the box it really doesn't feel like a spanking new bass - the set up is almost perfect and it  feels like the bass equivalent of a comfy worn-in jumper. I've had a quick blast though my Roland Microcube bass RX amp and it seems that the pickup is louder than the one in my CIJ. Not sure how I'm going to break the news to the  missus.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
typos
  • Like 2