Why become a member? ×

The Roadworn 50's P......I get it.

Bassmingo

I never had the chance to try out one of these until recently, but now I see why so many rave about it. The weight, neck profile and fret size tick all my boxes. it's the spec I never knew I wanted. I could take or leave the roadworn look, so the standard classic is a bit easier on the pocket (by about 500 quid!)

I don't need one right now, but someday I'm gonna own one. (in sunburst)

So, MIM 50's reissue owners, show me your basses so I can live vicariously through you!

I think "lacquer" means the finish on both neck and body . -not Poly. There is a Fender 50s model for about $750 with a wide 1.75" nut , aluminum pickguard, and reverse direction machines. I might go for that model as it is not 'roadworn' and the bridge is shiney. They come in burst and a lovely blonde that matches the yellowish pickguard. The whole bass is close to yellow . -The neck and fingerboard are one piece.

8 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

I think "lacquer" means the finish on both neck and body . -not Poly. There is a Fender 50s model for about $750 with a wide 1.75" nut , aluminum pickguard, and reverse direction machines. I might go for that model as it is not 'roadworn' and the bridge is shiney. They come in burst and a lovely blonde that matches the yellowish pickguard. The whole bass is close to yellow . -The neck and fingerboard are one piece.

Yes, that's the one I want too. 

There's actually 3 in the range - all with the wide 44.5mm nut width, reverse tuners and gold anodised scratch plate.

Classic 50's Precision - Polyurethane finish neck and body and available in sunburst, red or blonde. 

Classic 50's Precision Lacquer - Thin nitro finish neck and body, available in black (i think there used to be a blonde version too). 

Classic 50's Precision Roadworn - Nitro roadworn finish body and a poly neck, available in red or sunburst.

I tried all 3 and there was something that worked better for me with the nitro ones, I cant really quantify it but they just felt a bit more alive to me and different enough from a standard Mexican P bass - I wanted a Roadworn one because they feel absolutely lovely to play but the Lacquer popped up for a great price so i grabbed it and its gradually becoming roadworn naturally :-). Someone had already scotchbrighted the neck so it has a nice worn in feel already. I'd like to roll the edges a bit though as i think thats what makes the Roadworns feel so good along with the amount of wood in the big old neck.

They're all lovely basses though.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2018 at 19:55, Mudpup said:

There's actually 3 in the range - all with the wide 44.5mm nut width, reverse tuners and gold anodised scratch plate.

Classic 50's Precision - Polyurethane finish neck and body and available in sunburst, red or blonde. 

Classic 50's Precision Lacquer - Thin nitro finish neck and body, available in black (i think there used to be a blonde version too). 

Classic 50's Precision Roadworn - Nitro roadworn finish body and a poly neck, available in red or sunburst.

I tried all 3 and there was something that worked better for me with the nitro ones, I cant really quantify it but they just felt a bit more alive to me and different enough from a standard Mexican P bass - I wanted a Roadworn one because they feel absolutely lovely to play but the Lacquer popped up for a great price so i grabbed it and its gradually becoming roadworn naturally :-). Someone had already scotchbrighted the neck so it has a nice worn in feel already. I'd like to roll the edges a bit though as i think thats what makes the Roadworns feel so good along with the amount of wood in the big old neck.

They're all lovely basses though.

I guess it's definitely the Classic 50's P for me then, and I'd remove a layer of the gloss from the neck. I'm not a fan of glossy necks, nor do I like the overly orange look of the neck on the Lacquer P, and I see no sense in paying an extra few hundred quid for the Roadworn look, just to get the neck I like, when I can just take some sandpaper to the  Classic. Plus I love the 2T sunburst. 

Edited by Bassmingo

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:22, Mudpup said:

Here you go....here's my 50's Classic Lacquer DIY Roadworn work in progress...

2018-11-20_01-18-18.jpg

2018-11-20_01-19-38.jpg

One of my big bass-related regrets was not having the patience to wait for one of these to come back in stock. Ordered and paid for online, I got an email saying that the shop didn't actually have any in stock (the site said they did) and that it would be a few weeks before they had more in. I politely declined and cancelled the order and ended up spending a lot more putting together a parts Jazz. I think at the time the 50s Classics were around the £400 mark; this was about 10 years ago.

Still, the whole thing could've been avoided if I'd not made the mistake of selling my US Standard Precision - the biggest of my bass-related regrets.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a classic 50's in cash converters for 350 quid a few years back. Great basses. Proper angry growl off them when you want it. 

Word of advice. If you like any of the basses mentioned in this thread, do NOT try the new Fender Original 50s P bass series. Your wallet will thank me. SO good... 

Never had such a love at first sight moment as with my Fiesta Red Roadworn P. Wasn't even looking for one, but gave one a try randomly in a shop. Hadn't even plugged it into an amp and knew I wanted it just from its feel, just so right. Looks great (to me anyway), balanced, light, and sounds amazing, especially with TI Flats.