Why become a member? ×

what am I missing out on with 2 GB 1x10s

jj1234

Ages ago I picked up a Genz Benz STL10 and the 10 inch extension to make a mini stack. I use them with a tone hammer 350 now, the sound is lovely but I feel a might miss a bit of low end for 5 strings, I’m iffy about back-ported cabs, etc. But, it’s been so long out of the loop that I’m a bit disoriented about where I am, and upgrade options. I’ve a few questions if anyone has any opinions:

- are the STL10s particularly small even by 1x10 standards?

- if so would a different pair of 1x10s make a more complete sounding stack? Is either that or a single 2x10 cab suitable for good reproduction of a low B (I don’t need huge sub bass, just full spectrum kinda of sound). Is a 2x10 necessarily better that way than 2 1x10s?

- what 1x12s should I look at that are lightweight, and should I assume that 1x12 alone wouldn’t be as full as my current 2x1x10s? 

Basically if if I could afford it I’d maybe grab two aggie sl112s right now or something, but I can’t. And I can’t spend too long with a single cab if it’s going to be a step down volume and fullness wise from my current set up.

ta!

Never assume anything when it comes to speakers. You will have lots of suggestions but you do need to try them. Also don'y rule out the Tonehammer, that is supposed to have a dialled in sound and it may be that that is throwing you off.

If you can do  bit of DIY, then the BassChat 1x12 MK2 may be the right one for you.

57 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Never assume anything when it comes to speakers. You will have lots of suggestions but you do need to try them. Also don'y rule out the Tonehammer, that is supposed to have a dialled in sound and it may be that that is throwing you off.

This.

I've got two Ashdown Mi10 cabs, so a similar set up to yourself. With the matching MiBass 2.0 class D head, they're not the biggest or deepest sounding and certainly not the loudest, although it does produce a nice tone, has a great DI and is tiny.
However, I've recently tried the cabs out with a proper old school Ashdown ABM and they sounded enormous, with absolutely effortless low end and much better spread of sound.
Same cabs, different head, VERY different story...

Eude

In order of capability (all things being equal) I would rate 10" and 12" loaded cabs from least to most thus:

Single 10 (relatively low volume gig)

Single 12 (low to medium duty)

Two 10 (medium duty)

Two 12 (Loud)

2 x Two 10 (Loudest of this bunch)

I've never tried gigging a single 10  alongside a drummer without backline support and only use 4 strings. I doubt two small 10" cabs could go both loud and low especially with a 5 stringer if you're playing rock with drums.

• Like 1