Why become a member? ×

Mackie Onyx

Danuman

Hey guys,

My Mackie Onyx 1620 had already been relieved of its recording duties, but it still worked fine as a mixer. Unfortunately, the other day during rehearsal a fierce wind started blowing through the speakers. Does anyone know if it might be something that can be repaired?

It has served me well, so my guess is it's time to scrap it - but my bank account is hoping I'm wrong. (Already having to replace my beloved WT-550! :()

Thanks for reading!

Dan

Either it's an issue with an unbalanced cable allowing some extraneous noise from something else in the studio (does the problem also happen at home and with balanced cables?), or it's a hardware issue.
If it's a hardware issue, you'll be relying on either your warranty with Mackie, or if outside warranty, how much it costs to have them fix it.

If they're anything like us (Focusrite), they won't release any schematics to anyone who isn't an official service centre, so it's unlikely you'll find someone to fix it outside of their process.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danuman said:

Cheers Si, that's a helpful bit of insight.

Pretty sure it's just a few worn-out components, but I don't think I'll bother. I've wasted enough time and money getting my WT-550 serviced.

Thanks!

I have just realised that it's a 14 year old product, so there's a good chance that schematic from Mackie might be forthcoming (clearly it's not in warranty still lol). So you might find someone to fix it, however finding spares of they're not generic parts might be tough.
As you say, 14 years for a gigged mixer is decent, maybe move on :)

Si

Edited by Sibob

Before confining it to the scrapyard, it's worth taking a look to see if there is something obvious causing the problem like bulging/leaking capacitors, dry/cracked solder joints or obvious burnt components. There might be a better teardown video, but it took me a couple of minutes to find this and it shows quite clearly heat damaged capacitors in the power supply - if these mixers do indeed run hot, than it is likely that yours may have suffered the same fate.

• Thanks 1