Why become a member? ×

2nd hand market slowing??

BaggyMan

^^ good point

I think it has the ability to be both and do both well.

I've greatly valued the wealth of experience and the willingness of BC'ers to give up their free time in sharing their wisdom. It's encouraged me to do likewise, when I can.

I suspect that for many it's a fun social forum and they do no buying or selling at all. I'm planning on taking Sibob's vow of GAS chastity in 2019, but I suspect I'll still be checking in regularly and enjoying the banter along the way!

4 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I regularly check Reverb.com too, this is good for musical gear.

I check but have never bought from Reverb yet. I do like the format though. I have noticed that UK sellers price things more on reverb - like Bass Direct and The Gallery, so if you see something from them it makes sense to go to their shop.

23 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s really interesting meta question of what basschat “is” - is it a forum with a marketplace, or is it a marketplace with a forum attached.

The clue's in the name. Basschat.

I've bought and sold one or two things through this site, but I definitely view it as a forum, first and foremost. That said, I'm not a particularly GASsy sort of person, so that will influence my perspective.

S.P.

On 07/12/2018 at 07:50, Burns-bass said:

People seemingly buy and sell gear as a hobby. The item itself is less important than the thrill of purchase and the excitement of expectation.

Very very true. I've been in that vicious cycle for quite a while under the guise of 'so much gear to try, so little time'/'didn't have this choice when I was a kid' etc. Ultimately, despite all of the differences and nuances we discuss here, one bass/head/cab is much the same as another in the grand scheme of things. The rest is just dopamine :)

Also, as you get more experienced/older, you have naturally tried a wider range of gear, so except for impulse purchases, most of us have a reduced range of things we are shopping for - genuinely or otherwise! I’ve got a cracking Ibanez and a Yamaha BB, and nothing out there has taken my fancy since getting them. Having tried every boutique bass under the sun, I simply wouldn’t pay £1,000+ for a bass - imho they’re simply not worth it with the amount of great used gear around from £300-£700. Then again, different strokes for different folks 😀

38 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I’ve got a cracking Ibanez and a Yamaha BB, and nothing out there has taken my fancy since getting them...😀

FDC = federal dept of crime... 😄

Either way I've clearly just bumped into my bass twin! 

Daren't ask what your first choice amp and cab are, in case it ends up causing a fracture in the space time continuum. 

6 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Having tried every boutique bass under the sun, I simply wouldn’t pay £1,000+ for a bass - imho they’re simply not worth it with the amount of great used gear around from £300-£700. Then again, different strokes for different folks 😀

But you have tried them, I think it takes some people a while to get there...

I found the beauty of basschat is I could sell/trade something I had  and then reinvest the money (and some extra) into an instrument I was more excited about playing. Not counting the great jazz bass spree of 2012 and the random extras, my Status Shark went to a Warwick SS1, then another SS1.

My Fender Japan 57ri turned into a JV squire 57ri into a early Thumb bass into a Sadowsky Will Lee.

And the Yamaha SG guitar I found in my aunts bin was traded into a Yamaha BB1200 and then into a G&L L1000. 

Best thing I’ve ever found in a bin :)

All 3 are probably worth over the £1k mark but often the upgrade trade for me included me adding only small amounts over many years. 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few things I want to sell.  Obvioslusly I have listed them in the BC Marketplace but I also wanted to put them else where to improve the chances of a quick sell.  What Facebook groups are recommended as good places to sell bass gear?

Edited by PJ-Bassist

• 2 weeks later...

So many £2k plus basses for sale that don't seem to shift, and so much bumping, it's a shame we can't sort them by price, I look at the expensive stuff but will never buy any of it

The £300-£1k reasonably priced stuff seems to sell fine though

Ebay is mad, I just watched a used (no returns no warranty) Squier Affinity Telecaster sell for £2 less than a new one (with a 2 year warranty and 14 days return protection) including delivery (£148), I sold mine on here to someone looking for one to modify for £75 which I thought was an appropriate price for a 6 year old well played instrument in good condition and I don't think I was truly off the mark, and I'd have been embarrassed to ask any more but some people have a lot of front

28 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

So many £2k plus basses for sale that don't seem to shift, and so much bumping, it's a shame we can't sort them by price, I look at the expensive stuff but will never buy any of it

The £300-£1k reasonably priced stuff seems to sell fine though

It is already possible to sort by brand using the search function, which kinda gets you a big chunk of the way there, as I guess that most folk when buying a bass will probably have a good idea of the make / model they're after? 

But I agree having the ability to search by price range could be a very useful additional feature if you have a budget but are open to which bass model. 

The other obvious filter would be P/J/MM as broad "main" categories, or short scale. 

@ped