Why become a member? ×

2nd hand market slowing??

BaggyMan

Never mind the £500+ market, Same goes for the sub £500 market for both basses and guitars. I've been trying to shift several decent  bits of gear priced at below £300 but nary a sniff of interest.  Seems clear to me that those who could be interested have got enough gear while among the under 30s most don't give a monkeys about learning to play. I know some blokes will say ' my 14 year old son is a huge fan of Hendrix etc and is a fiend on the xx' but many dealers I've spoken to say different and that fewer and fewer teens and 20 somethings are going into their stores.

The only items I’ve sold on here ended up going for quite a bit less than I bought them from used. Now I haggled when I bought them and thought I got a good price but obviously not! However, I’ve listed similar types of items at a similar price elsewhere and they’ve gone at the asking price quite quickly. I put a bass up in Bass Direct for well over £1K, having had zero interest here and it sold in 5 days, again at the asking price. It’s not Brexit or austerity - there’s just so many items for sale you can’t see the wood for the trees, and I think most people are selling but a much smaller percentage are actively buying (as opposed to the “I’d be round your house now if it had an extra string/wasn’t sunburst/had a Badass bridge/I could actually afford it” comments).

I do agree that some sellers are chancing their arm - there’s one up for sale at the moment which is essentially double the likely sale price. But we all know what will happen, right? The aforementioned zero interest 😚

Edited by FDC484950
Missing double quote!

I think it is slowing down, but I think that's too do with all the manufacturers supplying consistently good products for little money. There's so many good lightweight amps and multi fx pedals out there.

I've had a Mark bassv evo 1 up (and still have). It contains x2 channels, mixable channels, 500w, x2 Di's, USB to PC, tuner, envelope filter, over drive, compressor, chorus, delay AND high end models of ampegs, fenders, swr, trace, sunn, gk, mb, and more SND it's only 3kg - basically everything your ever need. And can't move it at £450.

14 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Lies, all lies ;)

Honestly I haven't, I think I changed the strings and batteries on all my basses this time last year. I need to do the same again now so that'll be around £150 although I might not do a couple of them as they still feel OK and I've probably got one set of strings at least in the drawer so potentially only one set to buy and four 9v batteries. 

However we are thinking about in ears...... 

• Like 1

I've got a bit of a mountain of amp kit on t'bay - it's all good

& I refuse to give it away - case in point Marshall 200valve rack, fully refurbed,

with new ABS wheeled case, JMP1 and Marshall JFX unit - some moron

tried to get it for 500..........a fire sale it ain't........so it's not just here!

😎

......... a very nice man somewhere in the Eastern Block bought the preamp & jfx for 600 - & paid carriage...........

Edited by taunton-hobbit

Yes ,a big factor is the demise of the pound. A lot of the more expensive gear is brought to the board from EU collectors/sellers. I often see prices in Euros that would have been appealing 2 years ago, but nowadays they're simply not worth considering for British buyers. 

Edited by Cairobill

16 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Generally speaking, this topic comes up about once every 12 months or so. Among reasons previously advanced are:

* Increasing / Declining £ to $ exchange rate
* Austerity (of the 'simply crippling' variety)
* Introduction of ad placement fee by egregiously greedy forum owners Ped and Kiwi
* Advancing age of members leading to 'autumn of life' clear outs thence to market saturation
* Ubiquity of 'boring' Fender P's and J's
* Frankly ludicrous cost of bespoke luthier basses
* Unrealistically high prices and seller inflexibility
* Unrealistic and frankly disrespectful low ball offers
* Lack of patience
* Other stuff

and the fact that Clarky is no longer on the forum...

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I’ll have a look, but in all honesty I know what I want won’t be there, plus I am more into parting basses together or making, so I do scour the other related items bit, that still works for me.

It was only meant as a bit of fun :)

Personally I'd go for

Amp

The Markbass EVO1 la bam is selling, @ £450 is a great price for what looks like a really interestingand useful amp.  

Guitar

There are a few interesting guitars for sale at the moment but, the Sandberg TM4 Supreme in black is what I'd go for as I've got a bout of GAS for one of these at the moment.    I'd also probably take is the fretted Mayones BE4 - £470 delivered seems like a real bargain for what I think is a lovely looking guitar.  I've been playing a Jabba for a while and always like Mayones neck profiles.

@PJ-Bassist oh gosh yes, I realise it’s all fun, and I had a look through over 20 pages and honestly I could not see anything!!

Incredibly spoilt, and I agree about a Sandberg, TM is a great bass. I love Sandy’s and I cannot see anything topping what I have at the moment.

The one I would consider getting is their new superlight Cedar model, maybe in TM. I played the prototype TT and it’s amazing.

That’s what has spoilt it for me.

I did consider birth year bass, butbteh late 70s Fenders we’re so hit and miss, it lost its appeal quickly.

I am starting to get my head turned by ESP basses, so maybe if the right one came up......

• Like 1

A few times in this, and other recent threads of a similar nature, sellers over pricing items comes up as a theme.

Having literally just listed a bass for sale an hour ago (that Sandberg GAS has got me good) at what I think is a fair price has made me wonder about how BCers go about figuring what a fair market value actually is for an item. 

Incidentally within 30 mins of posting my listing I get messaged asking what is the lowest price I'll drop too :( :(