Why become a member? ×

2nd hand market slowing??

BaggyMan

I dunno, seems like the second hand market is all but dead above £500 ??  Quite alarming number of **PRICE DROP** entries on the board.  Myself I have had no interest not even cheeky offers for the Dingwall I had for sale.  so there's me trying to down size and trading/px seems to be the name of the game...

I have bought and sold a few basses over the years...never seen it like this.

Could be the dread B***IT I suppose

Thoughts??? 

• Like 2

I advertised an Aguilar TH500 on here a couple of months ago for £450 with the case. That's an in-demand, fast-moving product selling at about £50 less than at the beginning of the year. I didn't get a sniff - not even an offer. I then sold it on eBay without too much problem for £525. I'm not sure what to make of that, but the cheap bits and pieces still seem to be moving.

I have had a Fender logo JV Precision for sale for months.  Your old one, in fact, Stevie.   I'm not giving it away but I'm not asking daft money, either.  2 years ago that would have sold inside a day.  Ditto Mesa Boogie Prodigy Four:88 - reasonable price, hardly a sniff. 

• Like 1

My observation is that many sellers consistently over-price their items. I can only guess that they don't really need/want to sell. This makes it difficult to gauge the actual market - you effectively need to dismiss those overpriced items - and it might give the impression that the market is slowing, for example if much less adverts appear (but it could be simply that while there's less adverts, a greater percentage have realistic prices and in fact more stuff is bought/sold).

I suspect it’s just life for most people. I just bought a flat and a car in the same week, so that’s pretty much shut my bass budget down for the next 30 years or so. Both bought out of necessity - needed somewhere to live, and my current car is 16 years old and decided that last week was a good time to die. 

The flat was under budget surprisingly, but I spent way, way too much on the new car. 

• Like 1

It's definitely swings and round abouts, my Markbass cab sold within hours and then no interest at all in my Markbass head, even at £150! 

To be honest I haven't seen anything I want to part money with for a long long time... just waiting for a reasonably priced OC2 to appear! 

10 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

My observation is that many sellers consistently over-price their items. I can only guess that they don't really need/want to sell.

Mostly because regardless of price,   it seems there's a selection of buyers who simply haggle because they simply would never pay the advertised price, or  thats what they feel they have to do, so many people up the price to cope with the hagglers.

Then you have the desperate sellers who sell cheaply because of financial difficulties, and then what you get is buyers pointing to those desperate sales and saying " but that seller sold the same item for blah blah "     This is not regular, i should add, but it happens.

I had someone refuse to buy  something for £22 because i wouldnt knock  £2 off. I simply cannot be bothered with such buyers. I sold to someone else in the end.

If it had been a £100 item, yes would have haggled, but £22  -  no

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

It's definitely swings and round abouts, my Markbass cab sold within hours and then no interest at all in my Markbass head, even at £150! 

To be honest I haven't seen anything I want to part money with for a long long time... just waiting for a reasonably priced OC2 to appear! 

I can’t believe no one has snapped that up for £150   I have one for home practice through a  markbass NY 115   Fantastic sound  

Generally speaking, this topic comes up about once every 12 months or so. Among reasons previously advanced are:

* Increasing / Declining £ to $ exchange rate
* Austerity (of the 'simply crippling' variety)
* Introduction of ad placement fee by egregiously greedy forum owners Ped and Kiwi
* Advancing age of members leading to 'autumn of life' clear outs thence to market saturation
* Ubiquity of 'boring' Fender P's and J's
* Frankly ludicrous cost of bespoke luthier basses
* Unrealistically high prices and seller inflexibility
* Unrealistic and frankly disrespectful low ball offers
* Lack of patience
* Other stuff

• Like 1

I've been thinking the same recently, there are a crazy amount of bargains in the for sale sections that aren't selling, whereas in the not too distant past, you'd see a lot more movement on stuff. I think, anyway.

God! I remember the good old days, when you could list a tatty Encore P-bass for £500 after breakfast and the courier would arrive to collect it mid-afternoon. £3000 Wals were flying off the shelves and Johnny Foreigner couldn't get enough of the low, low prices thanks to the collapse of the pound. And people said that Brexit had damaged the British economy! Pah!

Everybody was buying and selling like there was no tomorrow, and nobody foresaw then the sterile wasteland that the Marketplace would become by 2018.

Ah yes, 2016 was indeed the good old days.

Or not, as the case may be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BaggyMan said:

I dunno, seems like the second hand market is all but dead above £500 ??  Quite alarming number of **PRICE DROP** entries on the board.  Myself I have had no interest not even cheeky offers for the Dingwall I had for sale.  so there's me trying to down size and trading/px seems to be the name of the game...

I have bought and sold a few basses over the years...never seen it like this.

Could be the dread B***IT I suppose

Thoughts??? 

Defo nothing to do with Bulls*IT

Edited by Al Krow

If I went back 10 years and wanted to buy cheaper stuff I joined basschat - buying and selling, and young me helps the top end of the market move too. 

Now days if I were in that situation I’m unsure I would be in basschat, much less pay the subs to sell, Facebook marketplaces and eBay would be sufficient. Without that trickle of new buyers eventually the marketplace will slow.