Why become a member? ×

Vox VX50BA

EdwardMarlowe

In my quest for a really small and extremely lightweight bass combo that has enough poke to do an acoustic session I stumbled across this one and the thing that intrigued me was that it runs on a 19v DC adapter which is exactly the same as the Phil Jones Double Four... now I know the PJB is a quality unit and is much loved, however it is also twice the price of the VX50BA and in this demo the Vox sounds pretty nice... If a laptop battery will run one of these ala the Double Four ( and I cant see what it wouldnt) I must admit its quite tempting!

• Like 1

I play in a three piece rockabilly / rock 'n' roll band; we practice at the drummer's work & I bought one to keep there. It sounded amazing in the shop. In rehearsal with the drums I have to turn it up to the point it begins to distort a bit but then most people wouldn't be buying one to keep up with a drummer. It looks cool and practice tones are great. I don't like the DC adapter but that's just because a kettle lead seems more solid. It's smaller but double the volume of my home practice amp. I'd recommend people trying one but I wouldn't think it is for all tastes.

For once the DI doesn't worry me.. I want a standalone combo that can produce a reasonable bass tone and keep up with an unamplified acoustic guitar and a few traditional instruments (no drums) in a small pub or occasionally busking... the size, weight and possibility of running on battery power are uppermost in the pecking order on this occasion.. I want to be able to slot in to an acoustic session with my bass with minimal fuss, take up as little space as possible and be able to carry my full rig in and out in one go comfortably... apart from the Double Four there are very few other contenders that weight sub 5kg so this little combo is definitely still in the running ☺

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/11/2018 at 11:54, EdwardMarlowe said:

Anyone tried one of these little amps yet? ... ...   Yes, I know they're a plastic body. 

I got one last autumn while recovering from back surgery.  The ultralight weight was just what the doctor ordered, literally.  😉

And don't let the plastic body fool you, it can sound quite full and warm at a relatively high volume.  The speaker is attached to a half-inch thick wooden front baffle which, I think, helps give it some well used resonance.

On 24/11/2018 at 16:15, AndyTravis said:

No xlr/DI out.  ... ...  is the Direct out balanced?

It does, in fact, have a quarter-inch jack labeled Direct Out.  I have used it quite a bit, but was disappointed to find that it is strictly Pre-EQ.  I prefer the tones that I have selected for each song be sent to the sound system, since I've yet to work with a sound technician that cares as much about that kind of thing as I do.  Here's what the manual says about the DO jack:

1451367726_VoxVX50BADirectOut.jpg.867f1af23959957c4418adb4c1b0fd56.jpg

On 25/02/2019 at 15:59, mikeus said:

does anyone know how i could power this amp for busking?

the power input and adapter leads me to believe that it's possible with a laptop battery? like that phil jones double 4 amp..

I've seen this same question elsewhere but, unfortunately, I've not seen any definitive answer(s).  All I've seen are along the lines of "it should be possible".  Sorry.

4 hours ago, Dragonlord said:

Well, nowadays there are nice power banks that output 220-240V AC at around 80GBP or so and it could be used for other stuff as well... or a 19V DC power bank (for laptops) with the appropriate plug.

I wonder how something like this would work for busking with a lower wattage combo, like 25-50w max?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-PowerBar-Portable-Generator-23200mAh/dp/B07CKSPVM8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=32XPSDXCV73QJ693JDEJ

17 minutes ago, Tradfusion said:

I wonder how something like this would work for busking with a lower wattage combo, like 25-50w max?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-PowerBar-Portable-Generator-23200mAh/dp/B07CKSPVM8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=32XPSDXCV73QJ693JDEJ

I recently bought this: https://www.amazon.de/Omars-Powerbank-Tragbares-Ladegerät-Steckdose/dp/B07MZN8TFL/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=ac+power+bank&qid=1555623029&s=gateway&sr=8-5 for my guitarist who does busking with a 50W Roland Cube and he's very happy with it.

Edited by Dragonlord