Why become a member? ×

Getting a cab designed

gpw5150

There are a few on here that can do that but you would have to post details.

• Driver model(s) used.
  • Internal cabinet dimensions
  • Port details if any.
  • Tour design goals (what are you trying to achieve in a speaker cab)

It won't take long for someone to give you an answer.

OK, I'll bite

Why a 2x8? It's an unusual starting place, did you start with a particular driver in mind or a design aim you didn't feel could be achieved with a more conventional design?

What are you after? Talking through a design process or just having your numbers checked?

Don't know about the OP, but I have (what I believe to be) the first and only Greenboy Crazy 88 in the UK and I love it to bits. It's ideal for acoustic applications, DB and large-bodied basses, it's physically quite small (though surprisingly heavy), and its range is genuinely impressive ... it goes remarkably loud but sounds great at low volumes, and a low B doesn't worry it in the slightest.

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Pics or it didn't happen...

Crazy88 (2).jpg

Crazy88 (4).jpg

This is what I need to build.  Our big car broke down and I had to use my wife's mini convertible - neither of my current cabs fitted, but 2 x 2x8 cabs could work with limited space....

I don't think the Crazy 8 (or 88) are open source designs, so you won't be able to build one yourself - the drivers will not be cheap, either. If I were you, I would consider mocking up a box the size of the v2 Basschat 1x12"  (315x417x540mm)  and see if it will fit into the car. There is a new version imminent using neo drivers that should be very interesting, and from what the guys who have designed it say, you would only need one.

1 hour ago, RichardH said:

I don't think the Crazy 8 (or 88) are open source designs, so you won't be able to build one yourself - the drivers will not be cheap, either. If I were you, I would consider mocking up a box the size of the v2 Basschat 1x12"  (315x417x540mm)  and see if it will fit into the car. There is a new version imminent using neo drivers that should be very interesting, and from what the guys who have designed it say, you would only need one.

A while ago I had a try at modelling the driver used in the Crazy 8 in a similar sized cab, thinking it might be useful with double bass.  Getting a port big enough not to be noisy into a box that size is quite a design challenge.  I presume this is why they've used the flared port, but it'd be fair to say that getting a similar cab optimised wouldn't be the easiest place to start in cab design. 

Edited by Beer of the Bass