Why become a member? ×

Crackling amp pots. Repairable?

Rikki_Sixx

My little 30 watt Laney combo has seriously crackly pots at the moment. I’ve encountered this before after long periods where it’s gone unused and got a bit dusty.  Twiddling the knobs (ey up) cleared it up last time, but I noticed this week that all the knobs are crackling and popping. There are 6 pots and it affects them all. Sometimes turning any of them causes the volume to dip, or the sound to warble a bit.

Is this something that I could repair at home? If I needed to take this to be service, cleaned or repaired would it likely be expensive? I’m hoping I won’t have to open her up and do any soldering, and if it’s an expensive fix I might have to look at getting a cheap replacement! 10+ years of service, she’s done well!

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Clarification

7 minutes ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Thanks both of you! As you both suggested that pretty much simultaneously it’ll be the first thing I’ll try. Would I need to open the amp up to get to the electrics, or just take off the knobs and spray on from the front? 

You need to get to the back of the pots :)