Why become a member? ×

ACG Fretless 5

Bridgehouse

Guest Marcoelwray
12 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Nah, it’s not that impressive - there’s some *properly* impressive collections on here!!!

Not a matter of numbers. Just your Uberhorn picture profile is amazing.

• 3 months later...
On 18/11/2018 at 17:08, Bridgehouse said:

The Shuker has been a revelation - and although it’s in hospital at the moment (Urk!) I’ve realised two things. I love playing fretless, and 5 strings really do make a difference (for me anyway). 

Is that the Uberhorn in your avatar? It looks absolutely stunning.

I own an ACG Recurve with a one-piece black limba body ... it was recently down at Alan getting a new pickup and an updated EQ01 pre.

I would say that that in over 35 years of playing bass - and owning almost everything low and high end on the market (Wal/Alembic/Vigier etc) - that the ACG is my favourite instrument. The tone unplugged is startling. Alan is also an absolute gentleman. 

That is going to be a stunning instrument. Good luck.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

I own an ACG Recurve with a one-piece black limba body ... it was recently down at Alan getting a new pickup and an updated EQ01 pre.

I would say that that in over 35 years of playing bass - and owning almost everything low and high end on the market (Wal/Alembic/Vigier etc) - that the ACG is my favourite instrument. The tone unplugged is startling. Alan is also an absolute gentleman. 

That is going to be a stunning instrument. Good luck.

Yeah. It’s to match my PRetro 5 which is being played more than any other bass I have. 

It’s so good I’ve considered selling my 64 Precision.

*drops mic*

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Yeah. It’s to match my PRetro 5 which is being played more than any other bass I have. 

It’s so good I’ve considered selling my 64 Precision.

*drops mic*

Well, at risk of being controversial around these here parts, my ACG makes my old Fender Jazz bass (which I was previously madly in love with) feel like an old plank of wood with old chrome bits screwed together... 

• Thanks 1

Just now, White Cloud said:

Well, at risk of being controversial around these here parts, my ACG makes my old Fender Jazz bass (which I was previously madly in love with) feel like an old plank of wood with old chrome bits screwed together... 

Nothing controversial about that. I didn’t believe an instrument could be as good as an old pre-cbs fender for pure playability and tactile feel. But it seems one particular brand can be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Nothing controversial about that. I didn’t believe an instrument could be as good as an old pre-cbs fender for pure playability and tactile feel. But it seems one particular brand can be.

ACGs don't smell like 'pre-loved' basses too, which has to be a good thing ;)

A friend of mine bought a 70's tele, a guitar he'd dreamed of owning for 2 decades, bought it without seeing it in the flesh, it arrived, looked, played and sounded amazing, but it stank to high heaven of cigarettes. No amount of airing, or anything else would get rid of it, perhaps a total refinish, but then it would've lost it's 'mojo'.
He sold it on, made a slight profit and made a bitsa tele with an 80's body and a 90's neck from ebay, gave it a bit of a kicking and he now has something that looks the part, sounds just as good, possibly better and doesn't stink.

I was considering getting a YOB around my 40th last year, but his story very much changed my mind.

My ACGs look, play and smell better than any 'old' bass :)

Eude

• Like 1