Why become a member? ×

ACG Fretless 5

Bridgehouse

Having just acquired a fretted 5 from Alan, I decided that I just had to get a fretless 5.

The Shuker has been a revelation - and although it’s in hospital at the moment (Urk!) I’ve realised two things. I love playing fretless, and 5 strings really do make a difference (for me anyway). 

The fretted 5 will get a thorough outing next weekend at a big jam session - and will probably become the main bass I use with my originals band. I’ve already adapted the bass lines for a 5 with some low B action sprinkled throughout. 

But it just seemed that the obvious thing would be to get a fretless 5. I’ve never had a custom made done before, so contacted Alan and started looking at the options for a fretless 5... we have agreed a spec.. and the quote is coming over tonight for deposit payment... 

Super excited! I’ll share the build pics I get from Alan here and obviously my thoughts on my first custom build.. 

• Like 2

Spec’ing out a bass for a custom build was a lot easier than I thought. 

I have always essentially been a P bass fan, and I really like Alan’s take on it with the 5 string RetroB I have just got - so spec’ing a RetroB was choice one, with the P pickup in the usual place.

Decided to go a bit different so also opted for the RFB pickup in the bridge position with cool switching for both.

I’m a John East convert - but I also like the ability to run passive as well, so Uni Pre 4 was an obvious choice as well. 

Ebony board - and decided on lines - not for playability, but just because I like the look of a lined fretless. To me, they look a bit more “stealth” and more like a traditional bass. 

So that just left the aesthetics..

• Like 1

A while ago, I bought a Strat guitar body from Warmoth in black limba. It was a beautiful looking body - but went when I decided guitar wasn’t my man chosen instrument and I flipped back to bass. 

Since then, I’ve always thought a black limba bass would be a great thing.. Alan advises that the highly figured stuff can be very heavy, so I’ve gone for a lighter figured body with a more heavily figured top with a black veneer line. 

Matching black hardware to complete and we are pretty much there! Can’t wait to see how it progresses!

• Like 2

That's awesome news mate, a custom bass is a wonderful thing!
That's going to be an absolute peach of a bass.

Have you considered Alan's DFM preamp rather than a Uni-pre? I find it to be absolutely sublime on fretless instruments!

Eude

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eude said:

That's awesome news mate, a custom bass is a wonderful thing!
That's going to be an absolute peach of a bass.

Have you considered Alan's DFM preamp rather than a Uni-pre? I find it to be absolutely sublime on fretless instruments!

Eude

I did, but decided to stick with the uni pre - I have one on the shuker and it’s just what I was looking for. I guess I’m sticking with what I know for this one. Course, I could always swap it out for a DFM later on :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I did, but decided to stick with the uni pre - I have one on the shuker and it’s just what I was looking for. I guess I’m sticking with what I know for this one. Course, I could always swap it out for a DFM later on :)

Sounds like a well considered decision dude 😎

I thought it might be useful for some (mainly those that have never done a custom build) to see what's involved and what the process is like. Plus it's a good excuse to post lots of pics of stuff :)

I have to say, of course, that this is the process with Alan, and not necessarily representative of every builder, but I think it would be good to share just how interesting and exciting it can be working with a builder like Alan. I also know this is old hat for some of you - just look at the pics instead 😁

First stage is the Spec Sheet. Essentially it's a big list of options that you work through - with advice, to get the final solution. Here's my final spec sheet so you can see the various options:

390461173_Fretless5.thumb.jpg.abe8b3b028581e828698290fc2763eaa.jpg

The RetroB is the core body shape - and Modern means it's a 24 fret (as opposed to a classic 22) 

First up in the process is picking some wood. Alan found a nice light piece of Black Limba for the body - I didn't want it to be too heavy, so he advised a less figured piece as the figuring and darkness can make it very heavy.. Here's the piece he selected:

o6KyuBS.jpg

Looks like a nice piece! And it's a good balance between figuring and plainness to keep the weight down. 

Next up is the top. There was a lot more choice here. Alan suggested a choice from the following:

VS0exCo.jpg

OfCEPWq.jpg

nHW5IBm.jpg

J4L4mnA.jpg

and the one I finally selected - this one:

6BDIoHZ.jpg

I went for this one as it's got a nice balance between grain, light and dark, and figuring generally. Here's the reverse side of it:

JKaKayQ.jpg

Alan will now do some wizardry on it and take a cut from it to deliver a few options for the final piece..

He also has a neck blank in my chosen wood combo ready to go - so here it is:

L2OVVbq.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eude said:

All very exciting mate!
Lovely specs.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Black Limba too, here's my Finn SC Classic 6er...

IMG_3687.jpg

Eude

That's the stuff!

I do like Black Limba and you don't see so many basses in it. I just had to go with it for a custom build. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

That shape is just sublime.

Yes indeed!
It's my favourite design that Alan does. I have a Salace E Type and a Krell E Type which are more comfortable to play seated, the Salace in particular, but there's just something about this shape that speaks to me. It also feels incredibly familiar as I've had at least one Finn SC Classic in one form or another for pretty much a decade now 😲

Eude

I'm keeping an eye on this thread! I'm really curious about the end result. I like the looks of the fretted RetroB you bought, and I really like the woods you've selected for the fretless. Especially the top! Understated and elegant, nothing flashy but rather very classy.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

I'm keeping an eye on this thread! I'm really curious about the end result. I like the looks of the fretted RetroB you bought, and I really like the woods you've selected for the fretless. Especially the top! Understated and elegant, nothing flashy but rather very classy.

The RetroB really is a nice shape. It’s very much like a P bass, but different enough to feel like it isn’t just another copy - whilst retaining the comfortable and familiar feel. 

The build quality is the real stand out factor on it - superbly playable, lovely low action and everything feels so snug and tight. In addition, I’m really impressed with the pickup - I have the same one in my Finn 4 and it does all of those great P bass tones and much more besides. 

I’ve had quite a few basses in my time, and a lot of guitars as well - I would say that Alan’s work is up there with the very best - and probably is the best I’ve played. He is also extremely accommodating and an absolute pleasure to deal with. It might sound like he’s paid me to say this, but he hasn’t (the reverse in fact 😂) but I feel really strongly that as a player, I should spread the word about just how good ACG gear is - very high quality, excellent prices, and a local U.K. builder too! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gary mac said:

Think this is going to be a thing of beauty, looking forward to seeing the documented progress and of course, the finished job.

Being a P bass chap, I need to visit Alan's site to check out the RetroB shape. 

I’m an absolute died in the wool P bass lover.. and I have to say, I doubt I’d put a lot of money into a new fender again. There’s something about a vintage P that I doubt could be really replaceable with a new build, and as such my 64 P is a keeper, but it’s too valuable to gig and use out and about regularly. 

I’ve tried all sorts of P basses looking for one to gig with - I’ve tried AVRI, Classic Player, standards, specials etc and I’ve not held on to any of them. I bought a used Finn 4 which pretty much straight away became my main gigging bass - it has the sound, but the shape isn’t that familiar P bass type of feel. Having now got a RetroB though, it’s definitely got the feel shape wise. 

18 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Next up is the top. There was a lot more choice here. Alan suggested a choice from the following:

and the one I finally selected - this one:

I went for this one as it's got a nice balance between grain, light and dark, and figuring generally. Here's the reverse side of it:

Alan will now do some wizardry on it and take a cut from it to deliver a few options for the final piece..

He also has a neck blank in my chosen wood combo ready to go - so here it is:

I am looking forward to seeing more pictures as these bits of wood become gradually more guitar-shaped!

4 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I am looking forward to seeing more pictures as these bits of wood become gradually more guitar-shaped!

Me too! Normally with build threads I’m doing the assembly/finishing/etc. and it’s a refreshing change to have someone else doing the hard work whilst I just post the pictures 😂

• Haha 1