Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a mid-priced 5 string fretless

HazBeen

I have gotten back into fretless big time and since I play both 4 and 5 string basses, it would be nice to add a 5 string fretless brother/sister to my Status Electro fretless 4.

Any thoughts on mid-priced (say between 1000-1500 quid) 5 string fretless basses? Lines preferred, but not mandatory. Mwah clearly a must and I prefer magnetic pickup tone over piezo.

Help me collate some “potentials” please dear BC. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

You can even get a brand new Gary Willis https://www.thomann.de/be/ibanez_gwb205_ntf_gary_willis.htm

Thanks Tony, some very nice options..... indeed also the Status :)

I owned a black (the cheaper one) Willis. Really light and very playable, but electronics were meh.... wonder if the 205 addresses the issues I had with the black one.

Anyone ever try the ESP/LTD Bunny Brunel. On paper a lot to like but I know nobody that has ever tried one.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’m a bit of a Maruszczyk fan boy (love my Elwood L fretless) so I’m always going to give them the thumbs up. Here’s a selection from the shop, but with the custom options via the configurator, the World’s your oyster. https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/fretless-basses

Also a good idea! Maruszcyks are very good value for money.

41 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Thanks Tony, some very nice options..... indeed also the Status :)

I owned a black (the cheaper one) Willis. Really light and very playable, but electronics were meh.... wonder if the 205 addresses the issues I had with the black one.

Anyone ever try the ESP/LTD Bunny Brunel. On paper a lot to like but I know nobody that has ever tried one.

I never liked the cheap version of the Gary Willis, sounding dull to me. The natural one has the real Bartolini pickup and electronics and sounds very good, a bit too narrow on the bridge for me and still missing that extra string. That said, you can order it and send it back if you don't like it. 😉

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I never liked the cheap version of the Gary Willis, sounding dull to me. The natural one has the real Bartolini pickup and electronics and sounds very good, a bit too narrow on the bridge for me and still missing that extra string. That said, you can order it and send it back if you don't like it. 😉

True! 

String spacing indeed is tight, I think 16.5mm, which is much smaller than my preferred 19mm. Altough on a fretless it isn’t as big a deal.

Must admit the ESP/Ltd Bunny Brunel also looks awesome, if price quality ratio is similar to my 8 string (octave strings) Ltd, it should be awesome....

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Funily enough I was googling something similar earlier, the Sire M7 fretless looked like a good shout

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-fretless-marcus-miller-m7-alder-5-string-brown-sunburst

Considering they get nothing but praise, good call to at least try one. Mega specs for the cash.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:41, Graham said:

Funily enough I was googling something similar earlier, the Sire M7 fretless looked like a good shout

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-fretless-marcus-miller-m7-alder-5-string-brown-sunburst

Anyone tried one of these? Im wondering if a trip to Andertons may be in my immediate future

Guest Marcoelwray

Honestly, knowing the beauties out there on used market, and despite all qualities Sire can offer you, I wouldn't go for this M7... But that's my opinion.