Why become a member? ×

Interestingly different rehearsal....

solo4652

This is a sort of follow-on from my "Duffer's guide to writing lyrics" thread.

Having played in covers bands for the last 10 years, I decided to join an originals band, primarily to do something different. The "band" is: Four singers (yes, four), three of whom are classically trained, and highly experienced chorale singers. The fourth is a classically trained pianist, who also sings. She is the songwriter too. There is a classically trained viola player who works full-time in various orchestras, and as a teacher. She plays acoustic guitar too. There is a drummer, and there's me on bass. Yesterday, I turned up for our very first meeting having written out an initial bassline for a pop/ballad song. I sat there for a whole hour while vocalists did exercises, Then, it was 20 minutes of relaxation exercises for everybody. 

Time to play music? Not as such - songwriter split us into singers in one corner, rhythm section in another and then spent 20 minutes with each group. Yet more waiting around. Finally we got to play as an ensemble for fully 20 minutes before we ran out of rehearsal room time. 

Songwriter tells me that this way of working is common amongst classically-trained musos. Is that correct? Don't know whether I have the patience.

4 hours ago, BreadBin said:

How did it sound when you finally played together? 

It didn't sound very good to me. Mind you, it was our very first time together. And the singers hadn't agreed the harmonies, And the songwriter/lead vocalist wasn't the best singer in the room and needs to pass that baton across to one of the others. And the song arrangement needs a lot of work. And the singers are not used to performing with a rhythm section. 

I've said I'd play with them on a sort of session basis. Once they've got the vocals sorted, they can be recorded on a phone and sent to me. I'll add the bass, and when everybody's reasonably comfy, we can meet up to play what's been agreed remotely. Songwriter not happy with that suggestion, and wants everybody to meet face-to-face "to grow the song(s) organically and cooperatively". That is so very different from learning your bass part in a covers band before rehearsal. My discomfort is probably a reflection of my need to know what I'm doing before I get to rehearsal. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Nope its complete bollocks.

Not strictly true. 

In musical theatre, vocalists and choirs will do breathing exercises and then scale warm ups with a rehearsal Pianist or the MD, then onto any rehearsing or top and tailing.

The band/Orchestra will be rehearsing elsewhere away from the vocalists. Then, everybody is grouped together for a Sitzprobe. This happens in Opera as well.

So perhaps the band leader was referring to this, maybe? Although it seems a tad dramatic for the situation the OP had found himself in.

The band could have arrived a bit later maybe?

Sectionals are perfectly normal practise in the classical world. Efficient use of time and stops the most mischievous and adhd sections of the orchestra- the brass and percussion going out of their tiny minds counting bars rest- only for the conductor to go back to start because the fourth desk viola was caught with their bow an inch above the strings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Not strictly true. 

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Sectionals are perfectly normal practise in the classical world. 

I know exactly what vocal warmups and sectionals are. You're not going to convince me that >80% of the time is spent warming up, for the remaining 20% playing together. And, with sectionals, they're done in separate (isolated) rooms at the same time, not one section then another in sequence in the same room.

For some reason, I'm imagining everyone calling everyone else "Da-a-a-ahling". Probably very unfair, but there you have it.

Don't blow this out after one rehearsal. It could go somewhere interesting and I imagine that you can afford to sacrifice another couple of evenings just to see?

If things start to develop rapidly (which is what I'd expect with properly-trained classical musos) then you may find this initial nonsense disappears faster than a very fast thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

For some reason, I'm imagining everyone calling everyone else "Da-a-a-ahling". Probably very unfair, but there you have it.

Don't blow this out after one rehearsal. It could go somewhere interesting and I imagine that you can afford to sacrifice another couple of evenings just to see?

If things start to develop rapidly (which is what I'd expect with properly-trained classical musos) then you may find this initial nonsense disappears faster than a very fast thing.

Yes - I'm sort of intrigued by the whole set up, and I'll pop along for another couple of sessions. I can easily afford the time alongside my covers band. Originals + classically trained musos + not being expected to learn my part before rehearsal + people who don't know what a rhythm section is for = A sense of bewilderment on my part. On the upside, some of my poetry was very well received by songwriter who wants me to write some more for her.

It does sound like it's got the potential to be an interesting project.

Something a bit different from the usual band thing.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to rehearse like that, I can imagine getting a bit frustrated with sitting around during vocal exercises and relaxation stuff.

I'd be tempted to arrange to turn up after all that was over, otherwise I can see myself annoying the hell out of everyone by absent mindedly noodling whilst waiting for the part that requires my participation to get started.

Edited by Cato