Why become a member? ×

10" Bass driver recomendations

Nibody

I've managed to pick up a cheap 2x10 Cab that I am intending to use for rehersals as it is more portable than my 4x10. Its (I know... I know...) a Behringer Ultrabass BB210. Supposedly its a 600w Cab... I have read terrible things about the 10" drivers in them so I am looking to replace them sharpish with something more "fit for purpose". Going to be running my Terror Bass 500 through it. can anyone suggest some reasonably priced 10" Speakers - Im guessing I will be looking at 250+ Watts and 16 ohms each ( Cab is nominally 8 ohm) . Never needed to replace speakers so I wouldnt know where to start. I obviously dont want gold standard platinum coated speakers, just something reasonable that isnt going to disintegrate!

On 18/11/2018 at 00:18, BassBunny said:

Why not just try it as it is first. You may be surprised.

If that doesn't work out you'll need to get someone to model the cab with Winsd, or similar, so you know which drivers will work best.

Having collected it from a nice guy in Coventry at Black rose Studios (he has a second one going if anyone is interested) it actually doesnt sound too bad. I have heard horror storys about the drivers in these literally coming apart!

As stated, you cannot just lob a different driver in there.  You could of course get extremely lucky and accidently buy the perfect driver,  but there's more chance of growing a second todger.

Pick some drivers - name them, and  list the Thiele small parameters, and hope a cab guru will help you

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 00:18, BassBunny said:

Why not just try it as it is first. You may be surprised.

If that doesn't work out you'll need to get someone to model the cab with Winsd, or similar, so you know which drivers will work best.

+1

There's a lot of prejudice about Behringer kit. Much of that is their fault of course but I wouldn't dismiss the speakers out of hand.

Of course it's quite possible that they'll sound good but not be durable if given a hard time - due to materials, adhesives etc.

I did once use one of their head + cab setups - 6 or 8 x10" IIRC as it was in the rehearsal room we were using. No issues.

having recently had a look inside a Behringer cab I'd say the problem won't be that it is badly made but that they skimp on materials. The speakers I had were perfectly good but had very small magnets. I'd imagine they would run out of excursion fairly early so wouldn't handle any great power, the cab I had was nicely put together but made of MDF and consequently quite heavy.

If you want to find a speaker that works you need to tell us the internal dimensions and the size of any port. 

31 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

having recently had a look inside a Behringer cab I'd say the problem won't be that it is badly made but that they skimp on materials. The speakers I had were perfectly good but had very small magnets. I'd imagine they would run out of excursion fairly early so wouldn't handle any great power, the cab I had was nicely put together but made of MDF and consequently quite heavy.

If you want to find a speaker that works you need to tell us the internal dimensions and the size of any port. 

Its this one https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-ultrabass-bb210/923

The horror stories I heard were the cones seperating from the chassis of the speaker. The actual cabinet iteslf is quite sturdy - and heavy (Granted not as heavy as my 4x10 and it takes up less space in the boot!) Will measure it up tomorrow.

I put a couple of Celestion Neo 10s in a cheap secondhand 2x10 cab a while back and got decent results. I may have been fortunate that the cab suited them, but don't be too worried about matching drivers to cabs. Within reason, most good quality units will work fine in the standard sized cabs that exist. Manufacturers, especially those in the budget/mass market, tend to stick to the tried and trusted as far as specs/designs are concerned. 

17 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I put a couple of Celestion Neo 10s in a cheap secondhand 2x10 cab a while back and got decent results. I may have been fortunate that the cab suited them, but don't be too worried about matching drivers to cabs. Within reason, most good quality units will work fine in the standard sized cabs that exist. Manufacturers, especially those in the budget/mass market, tend to stick to the tried and trusted as far as specs/designs are concerned. 

That's true to an extent, there's a lot of cabs where each 10" driver is mounted in a cab with about 25l to work in and they are often tuned to somewhere around 50Hz but I also know of one person here who fitted an expensive neo driver into a cab of the wrong size,  blew the speaker and found he had invalidated the guarantee by using a poorly sized cab. Having an incorrectly tuned or sized cab can reduce the power handling of a driver down to a few 10's of watts. It's not going to happen every time but worth asking someone to check.