Why become a member? ×

Band tryout advice needed

lowdowner

bit late to this one, but my suggestion is to ask the band what they would prefer - a few songs where you are note perfect, or a rough working version of all of them.  Manage their expectations.  Worse thing you can do is walk in with a rough, working version of them all only to find that as they're a tribute band they are looking for note perfect and would have been happy with two or three given that you've only had a a week.

My top tips (and I'm doing this at the moment - learning a set for a band I'm helping out for a couple of gigs next month, all originals) - back to the cheat sheets.  What works for me is to put a playlist on my phone and listen to that continuously to get the songs structures into my head, then to work on each song individually, and to focus on one song until I've cracked it.  Pick off the low hanging fruit first, the ones that you already know pretty well or can work out fairly easily  Then when I've worked out all the parts, listen to the song and just write down the structure of how it all fits together - intro riff x4, A-G riff x 2, A-D riff x4, etc - whatever shorthand works for you.  What I then typically find is that, having written it all down, I can then remember it without needing to refer to the notes.  I have a slight advantage here because the band is practicing three times a week, so once I've worked a song out I can add it to the parts of the set I'm playing along to and run through it (rather than sitting out the songs I haven't yet learned) but in the absence of that, I'd suggest adding a run through of all the songs you have learned to date before you work on the next one.

I have time on my side so can work on one or two songs per week, but it actually takes me about two or three hours solid work to crack a song, so it's more about finding some clear time to do it.  Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings are working for me - down time where I don't have to worry about getting up early the next morning, or the stress of work.  You're probably not in the same position if you've only got a week to get through all of them

One last tip - even when you think you've worked it out, keep listening to the whole play list.  It may just be me but I can picture the notes being fretted as I listen to the tracks I've worked out, and I can then hear where the bass is doing something different to what I've worked out (usually where I've assumed that a riff is repeated four times and actually there's a different change on the last one, etc)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

bit late to this one, but my suggestion is to ask the band what they would prefer - a few songs where you are note perfect, or a rough working version of all of them.  Manage their expectations.  Worse thing you can do is walk in with a rough, working version of them all only to find that as they're a tribute band they are looking for note perfect and would have been happy with two or three given that you've only had a a week

this...

I spoke with them and they're happy with 'overall feel' for the songs (except where there might be iconic bass riffs obviously). I'm fine with that, I guess if they can see potential and we all get on together it might be enough to take a punt.

I've been listening to the tracks end to end for days - now I have Stevie Nicks in my head even when I sleep (mind you, I can think of worse!)